aneblett

Do You Know of the Country Group Diamond Rio?

Who him too? You know the actor Tom Berringer, from Cutaway... really a skidver and he lives like an hour from my home DZ... still to stuck up/ busy/ important to visit but hey, supposedly everyone in America is 2 handshakes away from the President too:D:D

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Yep, he sure is,I met while we were both registering at WFFC Rantoul and saw his Diamond Rio logo on his rig and just had to say "HI".He is very nice and laidback and will give you the time of day unlike so many other stuckup Celebrities.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Yep and as far as I know he was trained by ole "Fast Eddy" Grantland who in some ways is a celeb himself.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Apparently the lead guitarist is a skydiver and is supposed to be coming to our little DZ this saturday morning to swoop a Tandem...

Imagine that.. famous people on our little DZ...

http://www.diamondrio.com/jimmy.html

Wow. A country group named after an MP3 player. They good?

they were out and singing before the RIO.:)excellent harmonies. good band.
check out the song "Mirror Mirror" from their first album.
also, from their website: That’s the way it is with Diamond Rio. After 11 years, six “Vocal Group of the Year” awards collectively from the Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association, 23 Top Ten country hits, 15 top 5 singles including 7 # 1’s and over 9 million in record sales ... yada,yada,yada

Brian

Well.
A little update. Jimmy came out to the DZ and swooped a tandem on the first load of the day as planned. Even got involved in a little 3-way competition that was going on that day on the DZ. (he even did a downwinder trying to get as close to the target for his team...)
Just a really down to earth guy and I recommend that any DZO that gets a call from their publicist or whoever does the calling asking if he can come jump there/ run a contest for the DZ, accept. In fact during the radio interview that was held there he promotes more about skydiving than he did his own band.. The comment was even made that the radio interview couldn't have been better if a DZO had written it

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Yep...that's what he did at our DZ...we convinced him to jump with us (dmddave and myself) while the tandem was getting ready.

I think he actually tries to go for the smaller DZ's too, to help with publicity. It was really cool, and the DJ that came out loved it, too.

Anyway, Jimmy, if you read this...thanks for being a great ambassador of the sport!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Jimmy O just turned 41 a couple of weeks ago and is a new daddy, too.

I missed him at Rantoul, so if you see him, please tell him that Mark Harju sends greetings and congratulations on his recently-acquired parental status.

Mark Harju
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I interviewed Tom Berenger for Skydiving Magazine two years ago. "Stuck up" is the last thing I'd call Tom. He was a great interview and a lot of fun. Even his agent was nice, and that's saying something.

See, I got along well with Tom because we had something in common - a picture he'd worked on a few years back called "Gettysburg" (He was terrific in it, BTW. Another great acting job he did was Teddy Roosevelt in "Rough Riders" on TNT).

He's an actor's actor, and if you really want to be blown away by what an actor can do, catch him in "At Play in the Fields of the Lord". He's phenomenal.

However, he's an actor, not a skydiver. He made 25+ jumps for Cutaway, but is too busy working at his day job (pretending to be other people; e.g., acting) to hang at the DZ very much.

And you're right, he lives in SC, but out of respect for his privacy, I can't say where....sorry bout that.

Mark Harju

I'd sure go to the DR website and check the band's schedule first.

"Stuck up" has meant to be more tounge in cheek than anything else. One of my friends from college went to a weeding a couple of years back and met Tom. One meeting, one hour reception and Tom invites my friend back to his place to keep him from having to stay in a hotel for the night. They sat on his back porch and talked about hunting and fishing while drinking beer for most of the night. I also have a friend who is a member here by the name of Listo, who I skydive with on a regular basis who is actually very good friends with Tom and his wife ( who is also an A liscense holder I believe.) I may not know the man personnally but by proxi, I really do not beleive that he is snobby... the right definition is shy, acne scars or something of that nature, and very laid back.
My upmost apologies for the misunderstanding,
I thought that everyone knew that I was the equal opportunity asshole, and that most of what I say is meant in jest.:D
Oh and about the place of residence the town listed on his address is almost right, but if yuo know where he really lives you also know that he is nowhere near that town. I grew up like maybe 45 minutes from there. Viva the Lowcountry:)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Ah. I getcha. Tom's not "Hollywood", because he chooses not to live there, preferring instead to live in SC.

"Laid back" definitely fits Tom. He's very bright and can be incredibly funny. You probably know that he's a civil war buff too, so we had ourselves quite a time on that subject. I also turned him on to the Army Medical Museum at Walter Reed in DC (http://www.natmedmuse.afip.org/), which has a lot of civil war artifiacts.

His wife (Cathy? It's been a while) joined him in AFF, but I don't know if she got her "A" license. I know that Tom did, and so did Stephen Baldwin. It was kinda mandatory for what they were doing in "Cutaway".

Tom continues to work, but he doesn't seem to be on the A-list anymore. I attribute this to his commitment to his acting craft. He could have stayed on the A-list had he wanted to, but it would have meant living and working in Hollyweird. I'm sure he's not worried about not eating lunch in that town again... ;)