Ifrinn

kinda weird

Religion is for the weak minded--

Must.........refrain.....
Must......maintain.........composure.....
I.......I.......I......AGREE!
Now Faith, on the other hand.......
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Not sure if I follow you, could you explain some of the differences between faith and religion?
(I am bored, and it is raining)

I told myself I will not get into a theological discussion on dropzone.com, unlike the ones I have been in over on the wreak, so this will be my one and only post on this matter.
Religion, or Religions as I put it, are nothing but a building (the church), a leader or leaders (The Pope, Bishop, Pastor, Father, and yes, even Reverend), a bunch of blind followers (aka. Sheep), and a collection plate.
Many base the religion on the Bible, which they treat as the infallable word of God. This is where they are wrong. The Bible was written by man, as he interpreted what he thought God may have meant. Religions have been built on this for many years. What are the books of the Bible? Mark is a popular one to quote from. Was God's name Mark? No, he was a mere mortal man. Not God's word.
Faith, to me, is the strong, underlying belief in anything. In this particualr context it is Faith in God. Do you need to go to a church, listen to a sermon with a flock of other sheep, and drop into the collection plate to have Faith? No, you do not. If all you have is a religion, then yes, you do. How many of you go to church and drop into that collection plate? How many of you have gotten a statement from your church pointing out how much you donated, and how much they would like you to donate in the following year? Is this right? Even better, How many of you have skipped a week or 2 of attending the church of your choice for the simple reason that you had nothing to drop into the plate, and would feel guilty for not contributing? Seriously, how do you feel when that plate passes you, everyone is watching, and you do not add to it? Is this right either? Of course it is not, but it is the truth.
I would return to regular services if I could find a church that did not pass a plate, period. This I will never find though, as those very churches that preach giving use that very money to build bigger, fancier, more attractive churches, offices, kitchens, ect. for themselves.
In short, if you really, truely have faith in your heart, you have no need for organized religion.
It's your life, live it!

Good post. Most of it I agree with; one thing I noticed:

>In short, if you really, truely have faith in your heart, you have no
> need for organized religion.

I think there are some people who have a lot of faith who have a need for community, even if that community does not come in a fancy church. Whether people gather to worship in huge churches, small churches, outdoor masses, or even prayer groups, I think that some of the need for an organized religion is a simple desire for a community of like-minded people.

Good post. Most of it I agree with; one thing I noticed:
>In short, if you really, truely have faith in your heart, you have no
> need for organized religion.
I think there are some people who have a lot of faith who have a need for community, even if that community does not come in a fancy church. Whether people gather to worship in huge churches, small churches, outdoor masses, or even prayer groups, I think that some of the need for an organized religion is a simple desire for a community of like-minded people.

Wow, I got a compliment from Bill. I amaze myself somedays.
OK, Bill, I agree with you, to a point. You did enhance my point of people being "sheep" though, even if you didn't intend too. Those the attend church to be with "like minded people" are the same ones who have, for the most part, been attending since early childhood. They get the like mindedness instilled in them before they are actually thinking for themselves. As they grow older, some stay because they truely believe, some stay to supress the guilt they would feel by leaving, and some do not stay at all.
Religion is not the only be all end all of like minded gatherings. Al Anon is another. Numerous support groups ranging from quitting smoking to losing a loved one are there too. These are groups attended by people with a like interest. People join country clubs to be with others that love golf as much as they do. They join bowling leagues to be with other people who love to bowl. Skydivers converge on drop zones worldwide to be with others who love the sport as they do. Why do people join organized religion, especially when choosing one particular religion over another? Like mindedness, or peer pressure?
It's your life, live it!

>Skydivers converge on drop zones worldwide to be with others who
> love the sport as they do. Why do people join organized religion,
> especially when choosing one particular religion over another? Like
> mindedness, or peer pressure?

Both, I suspect. Like skydivers, they often want to be with people who also worship god in the same way they do. Often, they are there out of habit more than anything else, or because all their friends go. Depends on the person.