moodyskydiver

Anyone want a dog?

The breed is similar to the Husky. I thought he was a Husky when I first saw him. I've tried a kennel,and I've tried fencing he just jumps over or digs under both. He is very playful and friendly. My dad is just a shithead. He thinks Sabre is useless b/c he isn't a "working dog" and doesn't work horses or any of that crap. B/c hes young and playful,its hard to keep his attention to train him.Thats another reason my dad hates him.Atleast my dog doesnt bark all night at nothing like his stupid dogs. I thought about getting a sonic collar (the ones that make a god awful noise that only dogs can hear if it crosses a specific boundary)but they're expensive and I'm broke. My dad really isnt giving me a choice. If Sabre gets out again, I'm afraid my dad would really hurt him.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Your dog sounds just like a typical Husky. On a side note the first husky I ever met was my neighbor's. They went on vacation and my family was taking care of him. Your post kind of stuck out because my neighbor's husky was also named Sabre. Anyway, like I said before, you have a very beatiful dog there, and it's a shame you feel you have to give him away. My mom used to be a volunteer with the Humane Society, and she's about the biggest animal lover you will ever meet. She knows about this kind of stuff so if you want me to I can ask her about your options in giving Sabre away. My email is [email protected].

Amber, have you tried to occupy his mind a bit more. It sounds as if he may be bored. A covered kennel with plenty of mind toys would be best (pm me for ideas to hinder the digging). They make little balls and cubes you can fill with treats and as they roll around, out comes the treat. These have been proven great for destructive behavior, it channels their energy to good. They are a great short term solution while you recondition his behavior. These things are fairly cheap, but pm me for some dirt cheap ideas and more info if needed.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

He thinks Sabre is useless b/c he isn't a "working dog"

Actually that is not true. Malamutes and Huskies are both Working Dogs. That is the class that they belong in. Rig up a hitch of some sort and throw it on Sabre and he'll pull it around the yard. These dogs are known for working hard in the snow.

So tell me a little about Sabre. How old is he ? How much does he weigh ? Neutered ? You mentioned he likes to jump fences...how high ? How is he around other dogs and people ? Has he been socialized with kids and people ?

I have been thinking about getting a companion for Kayla (Lord knows she don't like cats :D ), and getting a puppy/dog from a friend might be just the ticket.

And last but not least... are you really serious about giving him up or is this just a phase you're currently going through and could possibly find another solution ?

- Matt

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I'm trying to talk my dad out of getting rid of Sabre.(begging is a better word for it.)

I know his breed is considered working class,but lets face it,Sabre is a very lazy boy. He likes to play and stuff, but he makes taking a nap look so great sometimes.;)

He is about 2-3yrs old and about 120lbs. He isn't neutered(I just couldn't do it to the poor fella). He is very friendly to people and other animals...even cats! (He just licked and sniffed our 2 cats...nothing more.)Hes around horses,cats,cows and other dogs. The only problem we have is he likes to get out and run with the horses and cows even though the other animals dont care for it. The fence he jumped was just a standard chain-link fence like most yards have.Its prob about 4ft high +/- a little. He is around my sister's 4 kids all the time and we've never had a problem. He is kinda big so when he tries to "hug" you or put his paws on your waist when he jumps up he might knock over a young kid.My sister's kids are 9,7,5 and 3 yrs old and they love him.They pull his tail,try to ride him etc and he doesnt care. He likes to fetch rope toys and sticks and things like that. And trust me,if you let him in the house, he WILL want to sleep in bed with you. Sometimes I'd let him in the house and he'd crawl up on my bed and go to sleep. Anything else you wanna know?

heh, that about covers it. He sounds like a great dog, unfortunately I am looking for a puppy < 18 months. They are easier to train and the bond has not been set in stone yet between the owner and the dog. That is great that he is socialized with so many humans and animals. He should be able to get along with anyone or any other dog.

Let me know how things work out for you and Sabre.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

nws01 is totally right. I nearly have enough room in the king size bed for another varmit. The foot of the bed on the right side has about 2.5 square foot left. Skeet my Great Dane gets first choice and his head and my head barely fit on a pillow.

Moody- I will trade you 6 kittens. (maybe five)

A big un like yours would love my backyard. Even may like a dip in the pool.

Wendy is right about Sabre being bored. Worst thing for a young dog. Shyt chasing/swooping cows is FUN. You cant fault the guy. But Dad isnt likely going to go for it. Sounds like Sabre is your responsiblity. And you need to either spend a ton of time with training or find a way to keep him occupied. I would take him .............................

Oh - What am I talking about The AirAnn Skydiver Sancuary and Home for other homeless animals is temp full. ..... Levin brougt another cat home Friday..... If your dog came... Trail Mix will never come our from underneath the dresser.

Ramon knows a girl who lives in the country and may be interested. RM Ramon. She almost has as many animals as I do. We both have kind hearts. But she will take a snake. I draw the line with reptiles. Unless they wear a bell or a flashing light or something.

I will try to help....

~AirAnn~

I know you didn't have the heart to do it, but I groom dogs and let me tell you---male dogs calm down a ton when they are neutered. In fact, I am surprised when I get to groom a male with his nads still attached that is actually calm.
I don't know if this is an option for you, but it may help. good luck:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Thanks for the consideration Ann.

Our place is pretty full too...8 horses,8 cows,4 dogs,2 cats,and 2 ferrets. Those are just the ones we keep voulntarily. There are scores of raccoons, deer, coyotes,armadillos, opossum etc. We have a little zoo of our own!:S

No thanks on the kittens. My dad hates those too. The only reason our 2 have survived their stay here is b/c my mom loves 'em. If he had his way, they'd be gone or in the barn.

Sabre would live in your pool! I usually end up finding him down in our creek if he stays on our property. He doesn't hurt the animals..hes just wanting to play and they don't understand. Of course the neighbors rooster that Sabre defeathered wasn't too understanding.LOL! But again, he wasnt hurting it,he was just...uh....pruning it. I'm just afraid if he keeps getting loose that a neighbor will mistake him of a wolf/coyote or something and kill him.:(

I'm trying to give him more attention. In my spare time, instead of staying on the computer or TV I go play with him. I've been taking him into town with me if I know I won't be leaving him in the truck long. He loves to ride with me, except when he thinks he should drive or want to sit in my lap.OOY!:S

I'm sucking up to my mom now too. She is kinda head of things here and if she doesn't agree than it won't happen. She really likes Sabre too. I hope I can keep my puppy.

Well, send him over here if you think he would be able to cope with life in South Africa ;) He really is a beautiful dog.

Seriously now, I agree with the people who think he may be bored. I'd love to have a dog like that, but my yard is simply too small.
Maybe next year when I move to a bigger place.

Let us know how things work out. In the meantime, I'll be holding thumbs for you.

--
ZZZzzzz....

I have been trying to stay out of this conversation, because this is the reason that I have ended up owning so many dogs over the years. I have had Husky's, Newfies, German Shepherds, beagles, labs, bordercollies, you name it. I have never had a day in my life without a dog, (or few). We had a husky who would go visiting the neighborhood, much as Sabre does, and she was a BIG girl. Scared people to death, but as sweet as pie. She was the reason that I got into obedience training. She would stand absolutely still next to a 6 foot chain link fence, scope it out, and be over it, before you could shout her name out. A friend told me about what you have heard here, she is smart, quick and BORED. She is a dog, she is doing what dogs do when they are bored. She is a pack animal, and she thinks that she is the Alpha dog. You must take that position back. Take your lovely dog in and have him neutered, unless he is intended for breeding, you are doing him and the whole world a favor. Then enroll in a QUALITY obedience class. Make sure the person who is giving it has actually taken a dog to some sort of certificate level, so that you know they know how to train you. Remember that you are not training the dog, you are training YOU. After a six week course, with the right trainer, and a minimum of 20 minutes a day 'one on one' training between you and Sabre, you should have a loving dog, who will be attentive to YOUR every word, and wanting to please YOU in every posible way. Just like raising kids, it's the KIND of time that you spend with them that counts. I guarantee you that a well trained dog doesn't wander. I have been told over and over that my dogs are better behaved than most peoples children, and it is true, all but one of them have been. I completed degrees with several dogs, and one went on to be a cop, and had quite a decorated career in East St. Louis. Your dog should be looking to you for his approval, and your dad will be proud that you took this beautiful WORKING animal to his personal best. If you can skydive, dogtraining is a piece of cake.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I would love to be able to put Sabre (and myself) through a training program. But the simple fact is that I don't have the money or time to be able to do so. My parents are paying for my skydiving and I am trying to pull myself out of debt incurred by my exfiance and myself. I'm doing good if I am able to pay the minimum payments on time every month. I've asked if I could put Sabre in a training class before, but they won't pay for it and I can't pay for it. They don't think he is "worth it" just because he doesn't have papers. I know this whole thread sounds like I'm just making excuses. Hell, maybe Sabre deserves a better owner than I am.