Mad47

night jumps

Hook low, flare late! ;) Really, pull at the assigned altitude and no spiraling. Chances are, you won't see anyone unless you are really close so "Be aware, do the Linda Blaire". Don't chase your shadow into the ground and make sure to land at the airport because one of the most dangerous things to do is to land off.

-So, how hard is the ground?!

-So, how hard is the ground?!

I made my FIRST!! (yeah I know...BEER) night jump a couple weeks ago and I felt like it was my first skydive ....but once we got out.(we did a three way exit and turned 360s and got a couple points and then just flew together till breakk off) it was great...we went with NO moon out and it was AMAZING how bright it was and how easy it was to see everyone!...Basically I worried over nothing...and then your canopy lights right up too so you can see if if all good...we wore chest alts w/ lights so they lit up great...and the canopy ride was AWSOME!!!! just make nice easy and slow turns and look for other strobes!! We also planned a higher break at 5000ft to insure good seperation for deployment..!!!!! Once youve do it you'll want to do more....although that goes for anything is skydiving!!;)

jason

Freedom of speech includes volume

pay really close attn to the briefing you get for the night jumps. these should include things like "land in the direction the headlights are pointing," don't stare at your chem-lite," stay out of artificial light before you go (so you don't screw up your night vision)," shit like that. These are just examples, so pay attn to your jumpmasters for the load.

I read one post on here that said there was no moon on their particular night jump. I wouldn't recommend that. I think that night jumps especially your first few, should be done with a full moon or a very bright one. Your first jump is supposed to be a solo, too.

also, (and this happens to alot of people...even those with many night jumps) watch out for the "dude in black" closing in on you while you're about to land. :) THAT dude in black is your shadow and be careful not to do a low turn because you're trying to avoid your own shadow. Tendency is to flare a bit high, too, so gauge by what's around you: windsock, roof of a building, etc....something that gives you a height reference. You will think that someone swapped canopies on ya while you weren't looking, too, because landings at night seem WAY faster than the ones during the day.

Oh yeah, make sure to jump during the day and really, REALLY familarize yourself with the area....the outs, the powerlines, fences, stuff like that.

Uh, one more thing. :) Sorry, i'm on a roll. On the ride to altitude, find the dz. find it, look away, find it again. be able to pick that mother out because you will get disoriented on opening..even if only for a short time.

with that said, night jumps are cool-ass as long as you have fun and be safe. :)

arlo:ph34r:

I read one post on here that said there was no moon on their particular night jump. I wouldn't recommend that

Our DZ is kinda in the city so there is a lot of reflection from Ambient(sp)(is that the word I'm looking for?) light...I mean we practically glowed up there..so I dint know if this made the diff in being able to go with no moon....however a DZ in the outskirts without all the lights would probably make a difference.....am I right in this thinking!!???

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

I read one post on here that said there was no moon on their particular night jump. I wouldn't recommend that

Our DZ is kinda in the city so there is a lot of reflection from Ambient(sp)(is that the word I'm looking for?) light...I mean we practically glowed up there..so I dint know if this made the diff in being able to go with no moon....however a DZ in the outskirts without all the lights would probably make a difference.....am I right in this thinking!!???

jason

yeah,dude. :) You're all good. As long as you can see....pitch black is NOT a good situation to be in while doing night jumps. But if the lighting was there, then yeah baby! I just say that because I made 4 or 5 jumps one night (millennium) and the lighting wasn't all that great.
Anyhoooooo, glad you had such an outstanding time with them. :) They can get a little freaky at first, but once you exit the plane, it's an awesome sight. :) (hint:) you should check out the fireworks somewhere like Disney on new years eve from the air....from many miles away, of course. :) phenomenal. :)
arlo

I am about to make my first night jump (yeah yeah yeah … more beer ;). It would be nice to get some tips from experienced jumpers.

Key tip: Brief alternate landing areas and know where all the hazards are. Be comfortable landing off the DZ in any quadrant. Make some daytime jumps to shove all that detail into short term memory.

Check for the DZ as the airplane climbs so you know what it looks like at night.

Know the winds and weather, and know your landing direction based on a big element (the moon, a nearby city with lights) in case you can't find the DZ in the dark...it happens!

Make sure you have a strobe for traffic avoidance (and FAR compliance), and a flashlight or chem light to see your parachute and altimeter.

Make noise under canopy and fly conservatively.

Open a bit high.

Have mega fun!

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Pull higher then usual!
If you have some sort of mal, its harder to see (duh) and may take more time to deal with in the dark. I had a toggle come undone during opening on a night jump, the toggle proceded to wrap its self around the brake line/riser to it took me about 8 seconds to clear it (couldn't see it and couldn't shine a light at it, I was keeping the canopy flying normally w/ my other hand), so I was VERY glad I had pulled 1000ft higher then normal.

Oh, have fun!:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've made about 6 or 7 night jumps. They have been at 3 different DZs. The briefing is very important. Stick to your planned dive and pull altitude. Personally I find that after opening I can become disoriented(the buildings on the airport look diff at night). I would make sure and make at least one jump during the day. I like to reference the landing area to the runway and or tower beacon. That way if you locate the runway you can find the landing area. If you don't have a lighted altimeter don't worry a small chem light and some duct tape works wonders(ask somebody at your DZ). At the last Jump I was on the guy running the briefing informed us "a left-hand 270 hook over the DZ is not a left-hand patternB|". GOOD LUCK!