smiles

Cave Base Pics

WOW! That looks really cool! Are they jumping into a hole in the ground? That looks like it'd be freakin scary!

It's a cave, I think it's in Mexico??? I've seen jumpers on TV, jumping in that cave, it looks sooo cool!

Good pictures!

J

TTK#5

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

It's the Cave of the Swallows in Mexico. Pretty neat. I saw a segment about some people making base jumps into it.

It's bell-shaped and opens up into a very large area at the bottom.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

:P
After making 1,000 skydives - cave BASE would be the closest I'd ever consider - as far as BASE jumping gos ....and after viewing this video footage.
Cave in Mexico is huge inside, I think it would be almost spiritual, flying under canopy in that hole.
Steve Janz ("Smiley") has made many more skydives than me, + 1,000s of tandems- excellent at accuracy- and many other BASE jumps.

Smiles.

Sótano de las Golondrinas, Cave of the Swallows,
is a magical and wondrous place located deep in the mountains of Mexico. From the alien like landscape at the bottom to the thousands of migrating swallows to the ancient heritage of local villagers, Sótano de las Golondrinas is truly a mystical world.

With overhung walls and a freefall depth of over 1,100 feet, this rugged environment has become host to BASE jumpers from around the world, jumpers who are looking to challenge themselves and their skills against this most formidable opponent of the sport. This site is about a group of extremists who come together as a team to enjoy the challenges and rewards that Sótano de las Golondrinas has to offer.

http://www.aerialextreme.com/cb/main.html

Have the article for an old skydiving mag somewere round here...its mad as!! The bottom of it was something like over 1km square or something..? its was massive!! The main problem with it was the landing area...there was only one leveled out area but if you miss that your in a little bit of crap :S It'd be the most awesome feeling though! Falling undergroundB|

Mark Lichttle (sp) is a pretty cool guy, and I think he organises trips here.
I seem to recall Patrck Passe featruring this cave in one his films, but I may be mistaken, its happened before....:S

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Oldies, kinda dated now, but still worth a looking at are the 'Travelling' films...three I think.....
Theres some kickass RW stuff mostly the then dominant French 4 and 8 way teams (hell Mr Passe is French so go figure!), and lots of Patrick de Gayardon surfing all over the place, and lots of free flying type fun stuff---before it was called freeflying. Sequences with people connected together at the feet (modified Tevas)springs to mind.....

They are still available, google-ing for "travelling video skydiving" gave me a heap of stockists.

I may have been mistaken on the cave thing though..mebbe another movie?....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson