shibu

Pilot 168 ZPX in an I4 or I5?

I want to get a Pilot 168 ZPX. I was going to get an I5 to go with it but I read on a post here that it will fit into an I4!

How tight of a fit would that be? I'm sure packing would be more annoying. I am also assuming a higher chance of pilot chute in tow?

what size reserve do you want to get?

You can fit a pilot 168 ZPX in a I4 since it packs about 1 size smaller and it will be just fine. Shouldn't give you trouble packing

I was thinking of the Smart Reserve 175. I've never flown anything smaller than a Pilot 168.

I see someone got his into an I3! ( http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3725663;search_string=Pilot%20ZPX;#3725663)

You can fit a pilot 168 ZPX in a I4 since it packs about 1 size smaller and it will be just fine. Shouldn't give you trouble packing

I was thinking of the Smart Reserve 175. I've never flown anything smaller than a Pilot 168.

I see someone got his into an I3! ( http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3725663;search_string=Pilot%20ZPX;#3725663)

Get the I5. No need to piss your rigger off or make packing your rig a pain in the ass, just to have it look 'stuffed'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Right. Size your main for your container, and size your container for your reserve!

An I4 would at most put you on a Smart 150 (assuming you are buying a Smart), and that sounds like a less than wonderful idea. Cramming in an oversize reserve is maybe physically possible, but it's right up there on my List Of Stuff I Will Never Do.

Bonus: You can fit an ordinary ZP Pilot 168 in an I5 and save the bucks B|.

Anecdotally, some people prefer the ZP Aerodyne canopies to the ZPX versions, though I have only ever owned plain ZP so I don't know about that.

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Get the I5. No need to piss your rigger off or make packing your rig a pain in the ass, just to have it look 'stuffed'.

Thanks.

Right. Size your main for your container, and size your container for your reserve!

An I4 would at most put you on a Smart 150 (assuming you are buying a Smart), and that sounds like a less than wonderful idea. Cramming in an oversize reserve is maybe physically possible, but it's right up there on my List Of Stuff I Will Never Do.

Anecdotally, some people prefer the ZP Aerodyne canopies to the ZPX versions, though I have only ever owned plain ZP so I don't know about that.

Thanks for clearing that up. Glad I didn't order the I4 yet.

OP: You should use the search function more often.

I don't see the reason to buy the I5 except you want a smart reserve and a normal ZP canopy.

The 168zpx will fit easily into an I4. I say that because I pack a 188zpx into an I4 without too much trouble.
Would you feel comfortable with an optimum 176?? If yes, go for the I4, it's a very nice fit.

OP: You should use the search function more often.

I don't see the reason to buy the I5 except you want a smart reserve and a normal ZP canopy.

The 168zpx will fit easily into an I4. I say that because I pack a 188zpx into an I4 without too much trouble.
Would you feel comfortable with an optimum 176?? If yes, go for the I4, it's a very nice fit.

I did use the search function... that's why I asked the question.

There seems to be a wide range of opinions on this. Apparently the ability to get a certain size into the container varies according to humidity or other environmental factors ??

I emailed Aerodyne & am waiting for their answer but I think I'll err on the side of caution. I don't see myself downsizing that much anytime soon.

Thanks for the input Wombat.

I don't see the reason to buy the I5 except you want a smart reserve and a normal ZP canopy

Which are actual reasons ;)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?