DYEVOUT

For the Ladies

A little useful info. for the Skyhotties. (Creep attack prevention)[size 1]
FYI
Cell Phone Feature #77 on your cell phone.
I never even knew about this #77 feature! This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1 PMin the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.
Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a gas station, etc. So Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.
She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.
Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground..........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e., put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did.
Too bad the cell phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about #77[/size]

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Also from the same article in Snopes:

"In 2000, a Tampa woman was sexually assaulted by a man who had put a flashing blue and red light atop his car and motioned her off the road as if he was a police officer. After she admitted she had been drinking, he offered to drive her home; she got into his car, and he took her to an isolated location where he raped her. That case is still open. "
Living in Tampa, I remember this case. The police in Tampa said that all
unmarked cars have lights under the hood behind the grill. A flashing light on
the dash was not enough to stop for. They also recommended calling 911 if
you were not in a well lighted area.