pilotdave

Videos that make you say HOLY #$%@#$@#

Been sitting in the uploads directory for a long time but I finally got around to watching it...

/cutaways/OverTheTop.mpg (3 megs)
Not a cutaway, but cameraman's reserve deploys on climbout over the tail of a porter. Damn!

/misc/dislocated.mpg (6.5 megs)
Guy dislocated his right shoulder on a funneled 3 way exit. Cameraman pulls for him.

/cutaways/steve1000.mpg (800 Kb)
Steve gets a surprise on his 1000th jump, a freefly tube jump from 4500.

Dave

/cutaways/OverTheTop.mpg (3 megs)
Not a cutaway, but cameraman's reserve deploys on climbout over the tail of a porter. Damn!

What CODEC is that? Media Player 9 is saying the &€mà Codec is required. Never heard of that one.

Think it's a Beta problem...

p.s. It's big, but have you checked out The Skydiver's yet?

Site seems to be running very slowly. Just busy?

A couple of things going on here...

First was that I moved the server to a different data-center, which doesn't appear to have quite as good connectivity as the first. Disapointing.

Secondly, there's a handful of people who seem to have taken it upon themselves to download the whole archive. While this is a serious breach of "nettiquette", rather then ban their IP's, I just hope they'll get it over with and finish up already.

Thirdly, because of very high volume affecting the other websites I run, I had to cap the bandwidth, and figured 75 KBps was a reasonable level. I may turn this up at some point. Bandwidth isn't cheap.

EDITED: As an experiment, I've bumped the bandwidth up to 125KBps, and enforced a limit of no more then two connections per IP. This will likely piss off those who're snarfing the whole connection, who were downloading 5 files at a time...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

can't get onto the site now - it's asking for a username / password.

It usually says this when the number of connections is full. Try putting 'anonymous' as the user, and your email address as the password.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Site seems to be running very slowly. Just busy?

A couple of things going on here...

First was that I moved the server to a different data-center, which doesn't appear to have quite as good connectivity as the first. Disapointing.

Secondly, there's a handful of people who seem to have taken it upon themselves to download the whole archive. While this is a serious breach of "nettiquette", rather then ban their IP's, I just hope they'll get it over with and finish up already.

Dude you sound like a girl I once knew.. "get it over with and finish up already"

:)

the capping of DL's is a great idea what I would also try to prevent is simultaneous logins if you have them on. One other thing you might want to do is setup a mirror site where others can DL to speed things up

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

That dislocated.mpg is pretty freaky. That happened to me last year, November 3rd on a two way.

On that jump, I had to pull the D ring and land a Raven with my working left hand. Managed to land safely and flare correctly using only the left arm for control and avoid a PLF that might have seriously messed up my right shoulder even more (I had time to practice flare to find the right point to avoid inducing a turn).

Since then, my right shoulder has come out 8 times doing numerous activities (and yes... it came out one time doing "that")... 3 times skydiving:

- Initial discloation in freefall
- Slipped while in the plane checking for a spot (rode the plane back down)
- Fully dislocated on landing flare Oct 12... managed to save the landing and avoid a serious high-speed biff.

Thanks to a massive overcharge by the local hospital, I've learned how to reset an anterior shoulder dislocation with minimal assistance. It's not worth paying thousands of dollars of hospital bills the HMOs won't pay for and therapy for something that is quite easily fixible.

I'm due for another Xray to make sure I haven't damaged the joint further... and in the mean time I am doing some muscle building on my back and shoulders to get my shoulder to stay closed most of the time.

Shoulder dislocation is another BIG reason to get a Cypres. If both of your shoulders come out easily, you can get yourself into a jam on just one bad RW jump where you may have difficulty operating both your arms and getting something over your head. Right now my left shoulder is in good condition... but I am still saving up for a Cypres and getting one as soon as I am able to afford it.

the server thinks i'm downloading 2 files at one time or something it won't let me log in now

Yeah that can happen... A connection might stay alive after a download finishes. Try disconnecting completely (or closing your browser) then reconnecting. If that doesn't work, the connections will just time out after a while.

It would be nice if we could have a little more control over who can connect, how much they can download, etc, but to set anything like that up we'd need separate usernames/passwords for everybody which is obviously not possible.

Mirroring the site would be nice but that just means more work for anyone running it. I still have an /uploads/ directory full of files because I haven't watched most of them to see where they should go yet. Connection is slow and almost out of hard drive space. Anyone wanna send me an 80 gig hard drive or a CD burner? :)
Dave