Spy38W

Email program?

I was wondering what people use/reccomend for an email program. I've been using Outlook Express since I installed XP, but have heard that it is a haven for virii. I've got mine set up pretty well (I think) to not make myself susceptable (as Outlook goes anyway.) But in the past few weeks I've also been considering adding some kind of spam killer and wasn't sure if there was something that was good to use with Outlook, or if I should take this revelation to motivate me to find a new email program and/or spam filter.

--
Hook high, flare on time

There are several things I do to combat spam, pop-up ads, ad sniffers, etc.

I use Outlook for my main email and suffer no problems of spam with it, but I also only use that email address for personal business (banking, correspondence info with professional orgs.). I also use Outlook for the newgroups, but I adjust my profile to send a web-based email addy, and also supply a bad domain name in the "reply to" info.

The rest, all done with web-based email accounts (i.e. Yahoo, Mail.com, etc.) for those fun things...like Emode, newsgroups....

I also use Window Washer (Webroot.com) to clear out cache, cookies, etc. This prevents ad sniffers permanently residing on my PC, thus reducing the spam risk.

I use AdSubtract (adsubract.com) while actively surfing to block pop-up ads (which contain 3rd party cookies) and selected background ads. It also blocks some cookies. IE 6.0 has a cookie function on it too.

As for virii...I use Norton Anti-virus, it also scans emails and it hasn't failed me yet (despite my poor friends that end up sending me stuff as a virus victim).

It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that difficult to manage. Your results may vary. You have plenty of options though.... ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Outlook, like most Microsoft programs, are incredible susceptible to viruses and other malicious programs. It's self-destructive to run any of them.

Eudora and Netscape Messenger are two excellent alternatives that do not open you up to the same dangers.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but I think you're being a little harsh. Outlook can be run safely. The simple solution is to turn off Windows Scripting Host. A vast majoirty of home users will never use it, and removing it will stop most Outlook viruses cold. The only other vulnerability that I've heard of recently was a buffer overflow exploit in the preview pane, and it has been patched.

That said, Outlook Express is a total piece of crap. The only thing that it has in common with Outlook is the name and the fact that it handles email (poorly). I also think that Outlook is overkill for most home users. All of the fancy features that Microsoft charges extra for will rarely be used outside of a business environment.

for e-mail, try Pegasus mail. http://www.pmail.com
it's 100% free. i've been using it since the DOS days with netware's MHS. now it's smtp/mapi/pop3. great program.

try opera for your browser. http://www.opera.com . i've been using it for about 4 yrs now. you can use it free, but it pushes ad's onto a 'block' in the browser. registration is like $30 or so (worth it, imho.) it's got a quick 'refuse pop up's' option which comes in real handy.

-tommy