christopherm

New York?

Got a question for all you New Yorkers or those of you who have frequented the city. I'm going there mid December for the weekend to take the written exam for firefighter and I need to know how in such a short time can I start to get a feel for the city. What part of town do I stay in, where do I go at night, where are the good family italian places? You get the idea. I want to get more than the usual tourist might get. Any advice would be great. :)
-So, how hard is the ground?!

last time i was up there, you may want to check ot puck fair on a thrusday evening (downstairs)- if things haven't changed a guy from the ranch (Paulie) bartends down there and there's quite a showing of local skydivers that come out of the woodwork...

for good food, go to little italy...its by Bleeker and mulberry. Or you could go to Osso Buco by Union Square, its a more upscale that a lot of the places in Little Italy... Once you get yourself down by Mulberry and Bleeker, there are TON of restaurants, all very good...look for Fratelli's, i can't remember the exact address...
As far as where to stay... do you mean where should you live?

The key to walking on water... Is knowing where the rocks are

I noticed your screen name could be mine.

Anyway, you are going to one of the most exciting cities in the world. You're also going at a great time of year. Since it is December, I do recommend midtown and of course Rockefeller Center. For great Italian food you can get that almost anywhere, but I would definitely recommend Little Italy, which is downtown. Nothing is far in Manhattan. Trust me, just standing on any sidewalk, and you will experience New York. Just wander and see what you find. Also, people watching is awesome in NYC. Have fun.

There's one bummer....Something is missing from the most famous skyline.:(

For good NY pizza, go to Johnny's on Bleeker; wood fired.

Or you could go to Osso Buco by Union Square, its a more upscale that a lot of the places in Little Italy...

If you are at Union Square, check out Heartland Brew Pub, also on the square. Right around the corner is McSorley's Pub, oldest pub in the city. They only serve two kinds of beer, light and dark. It's their own brew. Take some time to read the walls. Incredible. If you have time around 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon, check out Jeremy's Ale House under the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge. A lot of traders from Wall Street end up there. It's like a frat party with former millionaires. From there you can walk to Chinatown or little Italy, unless the city worries you. A taxi would be relatively cheap.

If you go uptown, there is a pub on the upper east side called Kinsales, that is very friendly and pours a nice pint. If you want to see a bar which does not stray much from the one in Coyote Ugly, check out Hogs and Heiffers. It's in the meat packing district. Insert your own joke here.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

All depends on how much money you have to spend. For the best variety of people, prices, scenes, and cuisines, stay below 25th Street or so. There's a mind-boggling array of shit to do down there, all North of the Wall Street area of course, which is normally dead after about 5:01 PM. I could point you to a couple resources for finding interesting shit if you have anything particular in mind - PM me if you want.

Midtown up to the mid-60's is touristy and ugly and congested and mainly sucks, although there are scattered attractions you may be interested in like Lincoln Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Central Park, etc. Above the sixties it's largely residential on both sides of the park, but with an OK assortment of stores and nightlife.

Joe

Chris,
If you want a good rush go to Little italy, china town ,hells kitchen, and/or harlem and at the top of your lungs yell out the corresponding RACIAL SLUR!

or try to get a cops gun before he can! when they start hitting you with the clubs tell them to "CHILL THE FUCK OUT I AM A FIRE FIGHTER!";)

Hope you have fun

My photos

My Videos