flyhi

Jump Run

They must have left the cargo door off the checklist. Someone probably thought it would be too obvious to miss.....:D

Haven't seen that one before. Seen plenty of the "Harrowing 747 approach to Hong Kong" shots, tho.

In this case, it appears that the locks failed somehow, and air pressure did the rest.

That's a pretty old cargo 707. Did that happen in the States? Anybody recognize the livery?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

it appears that the locks failed somehow, and air pressure did the rest

Well...I would say more like someone didn't close the door before take off. That is a BIG HEAVY door. Gravity is all that holds it down without the latches. To open the door you have to use a hydraulic hand pump. I doubt the latches just failed. They are quite heavy duty. Looks like that could be a navy plane but can't be sure.

it appears that the locks failed somehow, and air pressure did the rest

Well...I would say more like someone didn't close the door before take off. That is a BIG HEAVY door. Gravity is all that holds it down without the latches. To open the door you have to use a hydraulic hand pump. I doubt the latches just failed. They are quite heavy duty. Looks like that could be a navy plane but can't be sure.

I'm thinking it's more than one thing that caused this. There should be an indicator in the cockpit, and a checklist item (Paging DiverDriver [Chris Schindler]!): "Portside Forward Cargo Door Latch Indicators" / "Extinguished." "Do we have clearance, Clarence? What's our vector, Victor?" hehehe

Maybe the indicator was burned out, but then, controls and indicators are on the list too.

However, it's all a WAG on my part; I'm far more familiar with pax doors than with cargo doors (we all are, really); though I could go over to the line and have a look (but the main 40-22 and -23 buildings are a bit of a walk from my office!).

I'm with you, though, on the cargo door latches. They're massive, and the door is heavy (for those of you just joining us, a cargo door on a plane like this has to be really strong, because it opens outward, and thus cannot use the internal pressure to seal tightly as the passenger doors do).

They were lucky to put that thing down. The crew would have noticed when the cabin failed to pressurize, as well. I wonder when they realized it was open? "Do you feel a draft?" hehehe :ph34r:

I'm far more familiar with pax doors than with cargo doors

That door I'm actually quite familiar with. I was a mechanic on B-52's and KC-135's (Boeing 707 like the pic) for about 3 1/2 years in the Air Force. Yep....that's one LARGE HEAVY door. Who knows how that happened. The possibilities are endless. I'm still betting on human error over mechanical failure though. ;) Maybe a string of human errors. :D

I'm far more familiar with pax doors than with cargo doors

That door I'm actually quite familiar with. I was a mechanic on B-52's and KC-135's (Boeing 707 like the pic) for about 3 1/2 years in the Air Force. Yep....that's one LARGE HEAVY door. Who knows how that happened. The possibilities are endless. I'm still betting on human error over mechanical failure though. ;) Maybe a string of human errors. :D

I agree, but one thing's for sure: somebody got a serious ass-reaming over that! hehehe :o

Haven't seen that one before. Seen plenty of the "Harrowing 747 approach to Hong Kong" shots, tho.

In this case, it appears that the locks failed somehow, and air pressure did the rest.

That's a pretty old cargo 707. Did that happen in the States? Anybody recognize the livery?

It happened in Miami and was in fact a DC-8. It happened immediately after takeoff apparently. From what I understand bypass valves were installed on the hydraulic system to prevent this from occuring (guess it was not the first time) It was a "Tampa Cargo" livery. See a close up with the door open (not the one in the original photo) HERE

That's a pretty old cargo 707.

I may be wrong...but cloes inspection seems to reveal small openings (like vents) in the lower part of the nose of the aircraft. If that is the case, then this would be a DC-8, equally old, used mostly for freight work like older 707s...

My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so I'm not trying to nit-pick a useless piece of information..:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

AHHH! I should have known it was a DC-8. the nacelles looked wrong, and the tail isn't quite the same! :S

Nice pic on the airliners site.

AHHH! I should have known it was a DC-8. the nacelles looked wrong, and the tail isn't quite the same! :S

Nice pic on the airliners site.

Yah they got an indication. Right as the thing popped open. Our indication system in the RJ only tells us the proximity of the door. It does NOT tell us if it is actually secure. That has to be done visually by the person closing the door to make sure the tumblers are in place and fully engaged. On the DC-8 I have know idea how it looks or is done. But I'm sure it's the same principal. The "Door" warning light comes on only when the door is not near the proximity switch.

Well, that's my highly uneducated guess at how a DC-8 door indication system works.

Chris

Maybe I'm crazy....OK...don't answer that...but I would bet money that first pic is a 707. In fact, I'm fairly sure those are TF-33 engines which was an upgrade from the original water enjection J-57's. Compare the length of the fuselage between the wing root and the aft edge of the door and the nose to wing root length. It's hard to tell but I also can't see a PAX door between the open carge door and the cockpit windows. Doesn't appear to be that much room. Plus.....notice the difference in the size of the engine nacelles on the DC-8 and the first pic. Big diffrence. Sorry for going all geeky on you but Aircraft recognition was a highly drilled skill when you are a Forward Air Controller. ;)

Maybe I'm crazy....OK...don't answer that...but I would bet money.....

;)

Both the 707 and the DC-8 have a PAX door foreward of the cargo door. On the other hand the 707 has a window just aft of the PAX door before reaching the cargo door which does not seem to be there in the pic. In the photo you can also make out the openings on the nose like Gawain was speaking of, which the 707's don't have. TF-33/JT3D engines were used on both the 707 and DC-8's as well. Hmmm:)

Both the 707 and the DC-8 have a PAX door foreward of the cargo door

Speaking strictly of the KC-135 (military version of 707) the only door forward of the cargo door is a crew hatch under the left side of the aircraft forward of the cargo door. There isn't a real door like in the pic of that DC-8.

And I thought I was a nit-picker! hehehe

B|