blewaway5

a little advice from anyone in/know about the navy?

If you're gonna do it, go for carriers! (Good luck! Everyone wants carrier duty.)
Why not stick to the ground side of the Navy! USMC!!!!! (Shameless plug to boost enlistment!)

Actually the reason that being a nuke is a good deal is that you do not have to be around the slugs that seem to inhabit most of the other ships in the navy.
Carrier life is not all it is cracked up to be. Imagine this, you have been working for six hours on a generator and you go to get lunch in the galley. Then some paperpusher yeomen(secretary type) cheif tell you that you need to put on a clean uniform before you can eat. The surface fleet is more interested in tradition and military bearing than getting the job done. People on submarines are smart enough to know the difference between maintaining order and being an asshole.

I did the marine thing for a week, all I will say is that I respect the marines for what they do, and you would never catch me doing it. Tent?...no I'll take the rack any day.

I enlisted in the Nuke program after high school but backed out. My sis and bro-in-law are nuclear engineers. Here's a couple points to consider:

-You have to volunteer to go on a sub. They don't make anyone do sub duty. You'll probably be on a carrier or guided missle cruiser

-There are a series of tests during the 1.5 years in training in Orlando. One every couple months. They fail 50% of the class each time and if you fail, you're a machinist's mate (plumber) and still enlisted for 6 years without all the nuke bennies.

-The job market isn't really that great in the civilian world right now. There are a ton of people who went through the military program and are out looking for civilian jobs. Aren't enough reactors to support them all.

- You'll probably be on a... guided missle cruiser

There are none anymore

-There are a series of tests during the 1.5 years in training in Orlando. One every couple months. They fail 50% of the class each time and if you fail, you're a machinist's mate (plumber) and still enlisted for 6 years without all the nuke bennies.

Not true...you have to try really hard to fail. If you walk upright and can turn a valve you can pass, if you fail it is because you have no drive to suceed. This is true with any job.

-The job market isn't really that great in the civilian world right now. There are a ton of people who went through the military program and are out looking for civilian jobs. Aren't enough reactors to support them all.

Who says you have to work on a reactor... I know a guy who went to work for Sam Adams when he got out. Once again it is a question of how much effort a person is willing to put out in finding a job.

The Navy... go to sea 120 brave men... come back 60 couples...

Seriously though... I am all for people serving their country by way of military service... it can be very benificial to many... but it is not for everyone.

Ask your recruiter what happens if you wash out of the program... and what is the washout rate... I think it was something like 70% when I was a recuiter (for the Army)... They will probably say something like "will be reassigned at the needs of the service" which means whatever they need most at the time... Everything but the initial enlistment bonus will go away (and that might to)... oh yeah, the 6 year enlistment stays also.

If you can hang with the program and like the inside of a ship... not a bad deal... but if you can't?

I used to hear "my recruiter lied to me" all the time, it was rarely true... Make sure you ask the right questions.

Good luck

Josh

PS> the navy could also but a big dent in the jump numbers too.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

oh yeah, the 6 year enlistment stays also

I can only speak for the Air Force but....I know a lot of guys that came in with "Combat Control" or "Pararescueman" contracts. It stated specifically that that was their job....that they had to enlist for 6 years and all the other stipulations. Well...the wash out rate is around 87%. Plenty of classes never actually graduate anyone. The smart ones were able to point out the "Breach of contract" because the AF didn't bother to have provisions for wash outs. Why...I haven't a clue. Anyway...what I'm saying is...READ THE FINE PRINT and don't let anyone shove papers in front of you to sign without reading. In fact...just like in any other business tell him you would like copies to take home and read overnight.

yeah, if I do go nuke I probably won't be on a sub, rather a carrier. I'm just too damn big for them, I'd be getting in the way of absolutely everything! Besides, the sub force is still totally voluntary, so they can't make me do that one.

Carriers are cool! I've been on the Carl Vinson and the Ike (just 24 hour visits). I was truly impressed. The landing and take-off were neat, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Read the fine print is right... the USMC contract as you will get a specific job, say electroncs repairman OR the needs of the Corps... The current (well current 3 years ago) said you would get x job, provided you qualified for it at the time of training... Say you went in for Pararescue, and either got hurt in basic or when you had to retake the ASVAB you did not score the same and were no longer qualified... you were reassigned at the needs of the AF... The Army is no differnet... Say you signed up for a Ranger assignment, and failed out of RIP or Airborne School... say hello to Infantry in Alaska.

I agree... read the fine print on everything.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Hey ya all, thanks for the input, much appreciated. I just got back from MEPS (such fun) and they're waiting on some old medical records from an eye injury i once had and then that's done. I finally sat down and took the ASVAB last night, and I've got to tell you, I kicked its ass! Got a 99B| Well, time to get cleaned up and start the weekend. Have a fun one!

Truman Sparks for President

I finally sat down and took the ASVAB last night, and I've got to tell you, I kicked its ass! Got a 99B|

Even the barely literate can score well on the ASVAB. I maxed it out and thought it was no big deal, but when I went to basic, I was astonished to see the ASVAB scores of my entire 50-man training flight posted in the dayroom. Mine was at the very top, and was leagues ahead of the nearest scorers.

It was about then that I started thinking I shouldn't have enlisted... :o
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The day I took it, there was a person in there studying. They did a '23' on the previous test and you needed a '27' to get in.

I remember one question in particular: There was pictures of a hammer, a screwdriver, a wrench, and an electric drill with the cord on the end. The question: "Which is the electric tool?" Seriously.:o

This is true, but it still feels nice to do well. You're right, though, there were several people there who were worried about being over the 31 minimum. They were nice enough for the most part, but it makes me wonder about things like education systems and whatnot. By the way, thanks for the PM

Truman Sparks for President

Being an Air Force guy that worked with the Army I can't tell you how many times I heard things like "I would have joined the Air Force but my ASVAB scores weren't high enough." or "I was going to join the Air Force but every time I went by the recruiters office he was out." (Shouldn't that have been a clue? :D

Being an Air Force guy that worked with the Army I can't tell you how many times I heard things like "I would have joined the Air Force but my ASVAB scores weren't high enough." or "I was going to join the Air Force but every time I went by the recruiters office he was out." (Shouldn't that have been a clue? :D

Considering what a no-brainer the ASVAB is, that should have been cause for alarm...:o:o:o hehehe

that should have been cause for alarm...

These were usually the same guys that would also ask "Are you in the Army or the Air Force?" because I had Army patches on my uniform. I usually just smiled politely then backed away slowly breaking into a full sprint once I was out of sight. :D

The day I took it, there was a person in there studying. They did a '23' on the previous test and you needed a '27' to get in.

I remember one question in particular: There was pictures of a hammer, a screwdriver, a wrench, and an electric drill with the cord on the end. The question: "Which is the electric tool?" Seriously.:o

I remember my recruiter dismissing somebody over the phone, telling the individual (who bottomed out on the ASVAB) to try the other branches. When he hung up, he remarked to me, "Ya know, even if you choose the second answer on every question, you can still get an acceptable score." :o:o

Egad, I wish I had gone to college instead, and gotten a commission. But that wasn't where my head was at, can ya dig it?

However, had I done that I could have ended up like a high-school bud of mine, who washed out of UPT and became a 2nd-generation B-52 Bomb/Nav, only to be FORCED OUT after the Gulf. Sucky.