Attilla

Instructor licensure

Not that I'm a cynical person by nature or anything, but I'd like to know whether there is a database somewhere where I can confirm a person's licensure before I strap myself to them and fall out of a plane. I just did my first tandem jump and loved it, but afterwards it occurred to me that I knew nothing about the guy I jumped with. Next time, I think I'd like some more information.

At our dropzone all Instructor credentials are on file in the school.

I always have mine with me (along with my logbook) when I am there . . . I have never been asked by a customer/student to produce them, but I would happily do so if asked.

I do get asked about my experience and skydiving background . . . some people want some sort of idea of my experience level, at least from their viewpoint.
Arrive Safely

John

What makes you think just because they are licensed to do tandems, they are safe?
Or maybe do some tandem injury/fatality research at the drop zone your thinking about jumping at, and then make your choice.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Funny, I was just thinking about that in the plane this weekend. Students have no idea who I really am and they are trusting their life with me. I keep my license with me to show if asked. I have never been asked once. They often ask how many jumps or how long I've been doing it, but none ask for proof.

Not that I'm a cynical person by nature or anything, but I'd like to know whether there is a database somewhere where I can confirm a person's licensure before I strap myself to them and fall out of a plane.

Where are you from, and are you choosing to jump from USPA group member DZs. (In the US, it is not a federal or governmental agency that issues licences, but instead the www.uspa.org.)

The USPA publishes all new licences and ratings in Parachutist magazine. Because that is public knowledge, I suppose you might even be able to call them and confirm if you suspect you need to and can't find a back issue.

The USPA also has a member website for group member DZs. You could ask the DZ management to show you the webpage with the person's ratings.

The USPA also has a member website for group member DZs. You could ask the DZ management to show you the webpage with the person's ratings.

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that before I jump again. Because now that it's in my head...

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that before I jump again. Because now that it's in my head...

I have a even better idea... Hang around the DZ and get to know the jumpers and staff a bit.

Do you check the pilot of the commercial airliner to see what is qualifications are?

No. But you probably are more likely to have a comfort level with an airline known for great training and maintenance. The same goes for skydiving. The more professional the operation, the more likely the DZO is going to hand choose his staff, the best are going to want to work there, etc.

(I am hinting that the licence shows that the instructor meets the bare minimum requirements. There is much more to safety than a piece of paper.)

I have a even better idea... Hang around the DZ and get to know the jumpers and staff a bit.

The more professional the operation, the more likely the DZO is going to hand choose his staff, the best are going to want to work there, etc.

What would I look for? During my tandem jump, everyone seemed professional and careful, but what did I know?

What would I look for? During my tandem jump, everyone seemed professional and careful, but what did I know?

Think of it like a hospital, like a commercial airline, or like a restaurant.

Look for the clues you can tell, even though you are not a trained doctor, pilot, or chef.

Are the facilities well maintained, is there pride in ownership?

Are the planes clean and visibly maintained?

Does the gear look new or faded and worn?

Are there a lot of skydivers that are fun jumpers (not staff) jumping there?

Does the manifest staff conduct professional office operations?

Does the staff answer your questions professionally and honestly (like, 'say - how can I tell if your planes are well maintained?')

Do the instructors act professionally and answer all your questions?

Do you have a level of comfort with the operation?