jrouse

Jump suit/gear?

Hey guys/gals just looking for a little advice on jump suits. Right now I'm doing a lot of tunnel time and will be starting AFF in a couple of months. I plan on jumping a lot so durability is a factor. Also what measurements do I need to take in order to size the jump suit? This will be my first suit purchase so I'm not sure where to start. Should I get a certain type of shoe as well? Thanks for the advice and recommendations in advance. I've been getting a lot of great advice on here about many things, so you guys are awesome!! :)
Lovin every second of it!

Depends on manufacturer and kind of suit you will be getting. It also depend on your fall rate. Don't worry about that yet. Tunnel got suits to borrow and DZ will get you suits for AFF, by the time you graduate you will have an idea what suit you will need. Dealer or manufacturer of the suits will help you with a measurements.

Well thats part of the thing. I have a slightly slow fall rate but the suits at the tunnel are ether a little to short or long enough but way to baggy. I'm 6'2" and only about 160lbs. Tall and skinny always makes it hard to fit into stuff. :S

Well thats part of the thing. I have a slightly slow fall rate but the suits at the tunnel are ether a little to short or long enough but way to baggy. I'm 6'2" and only about 160lbs. Tall and skinny always makes it hard to fit into stuff. :S

Woah :) ask them if you may fly naked B|

I'm 6'2" and only about 160lbs. Tall and skinny always makes it hard to fit into stuff. :S

Yes, yes it does. Although you will at least be able to find second-hand containers, a custom jumpsuit definitely sounds like it's in your near future.

Tunnel is one thing, and by all means buy a suit for the tunnel if you're doing a lot of that (your questions can be answered by your local dealer, who will also measure you (do NOT do this yourself) and the tunnel will hopefully be able to point you in the direction of one).

But for AFF, it's likely they'll have a student-specific suit they will want you to wear. So depending on how much you intend to fly in the tunnel between now and then, it's potentially less important.

As for shoes, no particular kind as long as they're comfortable and will stay on (and don't have hooks to snag on). Flat-soled skate shoes are popular and work well, but that's mostly just fashion.

(Although as you will discover, fashion is really important :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Yes, yes it does. Although you will at least be able to find second-hand containers, a custom jumpsuit definitely sounds like it's in your near future.

Tunnel is one thing, and by all means buy a suit for the tunnel if you're doing a lot of that (your questions can be answered by your local dealer, who will also measure you (do NOT do this yourself) and the tunnel will hopefully be able to point you in the direction of one).

But for AFF, it's likely they'll have a student-specific suit they will want you to wear. So depending on how much you intend to fly in the tunnel between now and then, it's potentially less important.

As for shoes, no particular kind as long as they're comfortable and will stay on (and don't have hooks to snag on). Flat-soled skate shoes are popular and work well, but that's mostly just fashion.

(Although as you will discover, fashion is really important :P)

Well I'm doing about 1 hour a month in the tunnel right now and hopefully headed to VA for AFF in the next month or 2. I suppose that kind of time in tunnel it would probably be wise to get a suit?

Again, the DZ may/will have suits for you too wear. They may be a little big but most of that will be under the harness. Remember, when you really skydive you'll have lots of webbing/container holding the body tight.:P

Your AFF instructors will be able to guide you about suit drag when you get into AFF. Custom suit might take you 6 to 8 weeks or more anyway.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE