freebird

raelians(" they came from the sky and created us"?)

*** if the raelians left us here,, they must not have liked us much,, if they had the means to travel here to earth, they must have been far more advanced than we are now. why wouldnt they have left us with some technology? ***

One could say the same about God......why with all of His infinite power and wisdom would he leave us here ...war, hunger, disease, poverty...etc...

I'm not sure how we got here, but I do believe that life is nothing more than a classroom..and love the ultimate lesson...

I feel a very real freedom by not worrying about what I believe created us, the earth, moon or sky.

I am simply grateful that I'm here and that I have the freedom to believe in something (though I don't tend to limit it with roots of creation, destiny or fate).

Is there something out there (i.e. extra-terrestrial)? -- I'm sure of it. Were they ever here? -- I doubt it. Will they ever come, or will we ever go? -- Someday, but not within the next several hundred years.

So vast is space, so insignificant is our corner of it. Our "local" group of galaxies is some 3M-light years across. Our own Milky Way 70,000 -- and earth is on an outer rim of the ass-end of nowhere.

I don't know who or what created us. I do believe that all the variables involved (both scientific and theological) had a role to play and it's still beyond anything any of us will ever comprehend.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>The atmosphere on Mars is similar to Earth but saturated in CO2 I think.

And there's almost none of it. Average sea level air pressure on earth is around 15psi, mars is around .06psi. Water cannot exist as a liquid there - the pressure is too low.

In any case, the big question is not "what's mars like now?" (not that hospitable) but "what was mars like 4 billion years ago?" As you said, there's a good chance there was water, a thicker atmosphere and more volcanic activity (which is important for atmosphere formation.) It's likely that mars became hospitable to life before the earth did as the solar system cooled.

>If a meteor brought life here (I think I read somewhere that organic compounds
> could form on meteors/comets in flight), could it have "inseminated" Mars
> and Europa too?

That's a favorite theory but one I find unlikely. It's not likely that life (or even its precursors) that evolved on a comet (no air, no free oxygen, temperature extremes) would find the surface of a planet hospitable.

In any case, the big question is not "what's mars like now?"

Well, actually that IS an important question. If we are going to eventually have humans living on Mars, we need to know where the water ice is, and how to extract it. We need to have a better understanding of the engines that drive the weather on the Red Planet (those dust storms could really ruin a colonists' day). If wealthy nations could get past this trillion dollar war thing they have going, some real dough could be spent on the planetary sciences, and we could start spreading OUR seed in the solar system.

It's not likely that life (or even its precursors) that evolved on a comet (no air, no free oxygen, temperature extremes) would find the surface of a planet hospitable.

As you know, the surface of this planet hasn't always been as hospitable as it is now. And you are making assumptions about extra-terrestrial life. As we have never had the opportunity to study an alien organism, we have no criteria for establishing a set of circumstances under which it could survive.

I think what was meant was the beginning stage molecules in organic chemistry have a high chance of being created in the tail of a comet. The actual life will have to evolve on a suitable planet.

As Gawain so prosaically (;)) pointed out, it doesn't really matter, but these kind of things seem to me to be cult material.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

If wealthy nations could get past this trillion dollar war thing they have going, some real dough could be spent on the planetary sciences, and we could start spreading OUR seed in the solar system.

Amen.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

>Well, actually that IS an important question.

For terraforming mars, yes. To answer the question about whether life began there or not, you probably have to go back to when mars was wet.

>If wealthy nations could get past this trillion dollar war thing they have
>going, some real dough could be spent on the planetary sciences, and we could
> start spreading OUR seed in the solar system.

I'm sort of amazed that we have evidence both of life and liquid water on mars and we are content to not go. And that's nothing - look at the possibility of life on Europa or Io. Life on Europa would likely be familiar to us, but life on Io would be so fantastic that it could revolutionize biology as we know it.

>As we have never had the opportunity to study an alien organism, we have no
>criteria for establishing a set of circumstances under which it could survive.

True, but I think it's a safe bet that any organism/organelle/self replicating molecule that began on a comet will be more likely to be able to handle conditions on a comet than conditions on early earth.

No.

Someone's been watching too much Stargate.
-
Jim

At first, because I was a fan of the feature film, I initially pooh-poohed that program when it was announced that it would be developed for television.

I also didn't subscribe to Showtime, so I missed it all.

But now, of course, it's on Sci-Fi every Monday night for four hours (back episodes), with new epsidoes airing on Fridays.

Some of the stories are weak, and others are thinly-discguised rewrites of classic Trek episodes, but the combination of inter-character chemistry, snappy dialogue and story arcs have all combined to win me over. I really like the show, simply because it's good television, and makes effective use of the medium. Part of this is because it's shot in Canada, and because everything is cheaper than LA (especially production logistics), the producers are able to lavish more funds on the expensive stuff, like location shoots and special effects (that only carries so far though; a lot of planets the characters visit look very, very similar to the Pacific Northwest, much like "The X-Files" did...)

In short, I find it very entertaining. It doesn't hurt that it's filmed up in Vancouver. Probably going to visit the set in the Spring.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>If wealthy nations could get past this trillion dollar war thing they have
>going, some real dough could be spent on the planetary sciences, and we could
> start spreading OUR seed in the solar system.

I'm sort of amazed that we have evidence both of life and liquid water on mars and we are content to not go. And that's nothing - look at the possibility of life on Europa or Io. Life on Europa would likely be familiar to us, but life on Io would be so fantastic that it could revolutionize biology as we know it.

It's not just the wealthy nations.

All of mankind has a problem with violence.

I grant you that the wealthy nations spend more money on it, but I think it is only a matter of proportion.

I'm with you, Bill. I think it's a crying shame that nobody is pushing a comprehensive Europa probe to the front of the line. It's my understanding that the evidence for the presence of liquid water beneath the ice on that Jovian moon is strong.

If I were in charge, I'd submit to Congress a specific line item of a billion dollars or more, to rush development of a probe that would go beneath the surface of Europa and find that water. While that was cooking, I'd solicit the big aerospace companies to submit proposals for the most effective approach. Something like this fires the imagination - I'm sure we'd see all kinds of really clever ideas.

I suppose I could ask my Congresscritter to create and submit a bill, and wait ten or more years for it to grind its way through the House committees... *sigh*

NASA is a huge, sucking bureacracy, too. It would have to be so strong an initiative that it would overcome bureaucractic inertia too.

That would take the public screaming for it - ain't gonna happen. Guess we'd rather have smart bombs to drop on ragheads than smart space probes to find that water on Europa. A generalization, true, but the sad truth as well.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I think that some theorys may be modified someday.

by definition as a theory, it certainly will be.

christians were once a cult too..

Someone's been watching too much Stargate.

Stargate was very loosely based on the work of Zecharia Sitchin who reads some rather old ;) texts in a manner that suggests previous mythological figures 'gods' could have been aliens.

interesting stuff as is some of the mayan mythology, and just as reasonable as belief in any other god.

humans believe whatever they wish....