billvon

Odd things in the news

Amen.

I left out the iraqi lives from the costs b/c they are dying in large numbers under Hussein too--whose fault this is depends on what you believe. It didn't feel right to me to try to compare war deaths vs Hussein deaths. But they would be shifted in large part from the weak / infirm to the male and young...

IMO it's a hard question to answer whether more people will die by leaving Hussein there (with sanctions and all) vs bombing him out of power. Depends on what happens afterward.

Nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Hey right now the official line from the White House is that war isn't definite, and the war can be prevented if Iraq disarms now. right.:P

But the problem is, the UN inspectors can't find any of the forbidden weapons now. So how could we possibly verify that Iraq has disarmed? Based on Bush's position, I just don't see any scenario that would lead to a peaceful resolution, since we won't ever be able to verify that Iraq has gotten rid of items we couldn't locate in the first place.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I just don't see any scenario that would lead to a peaceful resolution

Continued high approval ratings leading to clear polling leads and eventual re-election and GOP majority in both houses.

This is the main goal. Economic and oil interests are secondary, IMO.

(I know I twisted your quote, sorry)

>But the problem is, the UN inspectors can't find any of the forbidden weapons
> now. So how could we possibly verify that Iraq has disarmed?

Send in more inspectors. Heck, send in a dozen teams and give them helicopters. Give the UN five billion dollars to pay for the additional inspections. Offer a reward of another five billion to anyone with proof that there are WMD's in Iraq. It will still be cheaper, both in terms of money and lives, than a war.

If, after all that, we still can't find em? There's a really good chance they don't exist.

The US gets less than 10% of its oil from Middle-Eastern countries. Europe is most dependent on Middle-eastern oil supply.

Maybe Bush should declare war on Venezuela as well?!?:P

now only to support what is truly right

I think I'm gonna try to be nice this year, too, just like Sinkster!

btw, as I type this, at 11:50pm, the wind is blowing HARD!!! My whole house is shaking, and I can hear the 100+ fir trees near my house shaking, too ... all sorts of flying shit -- cones, little branches, needles, etc are hitting a window 3m from me ... COOLIO!