Remster

Multiregion hack for R1 DVD players

Doing some research prior to having to buy all new electronics....

There's oodles of sites listing the hacks for many many players (the most complete I've found: http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayershack), but they all are pretty thin on North Americain players.

I know its not the usual way to hack them (normally, its R2 players getting hacked to play cheaper north americain DVDs) but I already have several R2 discs that I'll wanna watch back in canada.

And no, I dont want to play them from the PC (crap sound and not dedicated for video).

So, anyone has some good sites listing North American hacks?
Remster

dont want to play them from the PC (crap sound and not dedicated for video).

Maybe your PC, but many times I'd rather watch DVDs on my PC then the sorry excuse of an entertainment center my roommate has in the living room. Better video, bigger sounds, fuller sounds, bigger more solid bass...the list could go on...:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

dont want to play them from the PC (crap sound and not dedicated for video).

Maybe your PC, but many times I'd rather watch DVDs on my PC then the sorry excuse of an entertainment center my roommate has in the living room. Better video, bigger sounds, fuller sounds, bigger more solid bass...the list could go on...:P

Don't go there, Dave. I was really happy with my home theatre. I'm running a nice digital-ready 32" TV, Sony ES-555 home theatre receiver, Sony progressive-scan DVD, with Eosone speakers and a Velodyne sub.

I thought I was doing good until I saw Todd's rig when we went to his place to watch the Rantoul DVD I brought.

I was actually in Ultimate Electronics today seriously thinking about shelling out for a set of Definitive speakers after hearing his, even though his bass was a little weak. But, that's what a dedicated sub is for...

And I need to figure out a way to load his theatre-wide HDTV into my Hyundai Tiburon next trip out without him or Kathy noticing.:)

Crap. I have too many expensive hobbies.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Well.. I may have a solution for you but it might not be what you are looking for.

Search around for an APEX AD-600A DVD player. You will probably have to buy it used to get the right one as there were several revisions of this player. Now the player isn't progressive scan or anything like that but the first revision has one little feature that I like a whole lot:

It seems that when it went to production that they forgot to move the test menu from the firmware. what this means is that with some secret keypress sequence. Available on the internet on the many sites dedicated to hacking you can change the region code at will or just have the player ignore it all together.

My roommate has this player and we both agree that until we find a newer player with this feature/flaw that we'll never sell it. Even if it means running 2 players.

my 2 cents

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Adrian,

thx, I'll keep an eye out, but its not the only one with a remote hack! have a look at the website I posted above, and most of the hacks are remote ones.... but at least that one is avail in NA looks like.

I had the Hitachi 505 (I think) and this one was a combo firmware upgrade (though a file on the internet) and then a remote hack.

Any other NA players you guys know of as hackable?
Remster

For anyome who cares....

If you want a multiregion player in North America, get a Philips. I went to a grey market area of Montreal, and they tried to sell me a non-pro scan Philips player for something like C$500 (I know, thats about $50 US ;))... but that got us thinking, and we found out the VERY same player is available at Wallies (in Canada, and the US according to walmart.com)...

They are the Philips 623 and 724 (pro scan).

They both have a buit in PAL-NTSC converter and the multiregion hack is easy as pie: http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips%20DVD%20724

Happy new year!

Remster

I just got a Cyberhome dvd chdvd-500 Great dvd. Componet video out optical sound out and easy to hack. Its also Pro-scan as well. I paid a whopping 65 dollars for it. Mp3 svcds region free and you turn off the Macrovision. great unit for the cash.

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

From what i have seen and read it will pay ntsc or pal and any tv That is the trick turning off the macrovision. Switching between ntsc and pal, then switching back. In the manual it says it will play pal on ntsc or ntsc on a pal set.

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

If you want region and macrovision free dvd
buy a dvd for your computer
buy a Real Magic Hollywod Plus card
(this card will allow to play dvds in superb quality even with a Pentium I, and have S-Vhs out, Digital sound out (inc. Ac-3 digital decoding), Analog sound out. From www.hplus.hu you download a program called ZoneSelector and you can disable Macrovision and region codes)

I just bought this card (4 days ago) connected to my Tv and the quality is superb. It can also play (and output to a TV) Mpegs, Video-CDs, with a program called DivxPlus even Divx Avis.

I bought it for 15000 HUF that ~50 USD, the DVD was 12000Huf ~40USD. So out of 90USD I have a Region Free, Macrovision Free, Dolby Digital DVD player.

OVER