kevin922

Ft. Hood - empty guns?

I'm not military, but isn't that normal during an "inspection"?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Check out the picture here on CNN about bush visiting ft hood. Is it just me, or does that M-16 (or whatever gun it is) not have a magazine in it?

:D

That is correct - that rifle has no magazine. That is pretty much standard.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Ok someone explain that to me then.

WHY?

what is the logic in that.

Because they aren't planning on actually shooting anyone. They carry the weapons for training purposes. I think the Secret Service has enough to worry about w/o a division of armed soldiers able to get within 20 ft of the President.

The only time soldiers are issued ammunition, is on the range or in a real-world combat enviroment, or when guarding a sensitive location.

Otherwise it is a liability, accidental discharges, etc.

I always carried a 20 round magazine w/ 18 rounds in it stashed away while in the field, you never know.....

Hook

I remember pulling guard duty on Ft. Bragg (back in the olden days) with two rounds of live ammo for my M-16. It kind of reminded you of Barney Fite and his one round of live ammo that he carried in his pocket. Another time I walked Guard Duty at night, at Camp Mckall, with a thompson machine gun. The only thing was we weren't trusted with any live ammo. It kind of makes you wonder what you're really supposed to do if any bad guys show up. I guess you could throw your weapon at them, and then run like hell. Steve1