freekfly80

Do you believe in God?

absolutely.

what i dont believe is mans dogma that claims to speak for her..

edit: yeah it would be nice if people would fill out thier profiles when they join so they dont appear like trolls.

Depends on what you call God. You could say I'm not sure, but my concept of God is so different from the usual that it doesn't really matter.

Did you know Einstein believed in God? It's a favourite of the televangelists. He believed in a God that created the universe and left it alone, like winding up a clock. Not at all what you would expect...

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Did you know Einstein believed in God? It's a favourite of the televangelists. He believed in a God that created the universe and left it alone, like winding up a clock.

Actually, that's pretty close to the kind of God I believe in. Anything we can conceive of in terms of God is an artifact of humanity. How exactly are we going to really understand an all-powerful creator whose world is rich enough that he can imagine ours. To say you can is pretty presumptuous.

Also, that lets me believe in science and the like. Belief in God is a choice; belief in science (including what we don't know) is belief in a consistent set facts. Two different things.

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Did you know Einstein believed in God? It's a favourite of the televangelists. He believed in a God that created the universe and left it alone, like winding up a clock. Not at all what you would expect...

‘Deist’ is (I think) the classification for this, belief in a creator, but not in the dogma of worship.

NO, I don't believe in a Creator, angels, afterlife, or any of those other dangerous myths. I believe in Science, objective truth, and mankind.

"God is just an imaginary man in the sky that tells me where I shouldn't put my hands."

what you are objecting to then is religion, not god. Nothing in the beliefs you have expressed excludes the idea of a higher being. Religion tells you where you should and shouldn’t put your hands, god in all probability does not care about such petty issues..

IMO much of the counter reactions to belief in the divine stem from the repression and exclusionary dogma of the religions created by man. The religions used for thousands of years as a means of social control have done a disservice to belief in the divine.

Btw without a higher source truth can never be objective. (not that I believe it is anyway)

>Actually, that's pretty close to the kind of God I believe in.

Me too. I find it funny that we'd model god on ourselves, although I suppose it figures - we thought we were the center of the universe for a long time. To me, god has a lot more to do with Planck's constant, the gravitational constant and the speed of light. God was the singularity that began this universe. If any of those things were just a little different, we wouldn't be here.

I find it funny that we'd model god on ourselves

i'm surprised by this statement. after all, God created man after his own image. "if" you believe in the king james version of the good book that is.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

"if" you believe in the king james version of the good book that is

And that's where the matter of choice comes in. As far as I can tell, the belief in the King James version is an acceptance that the differences in wording between the original greek and aramaic texts and the King James version are divinely-inspired (because the original version didn't quite get it right?). Sounds like a whole lot of human deciding there.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I find it funny that we'd model god on ourselves

i'm surprised by this statement. after all, God created man after his own image. "if" you believe in the king james version of the good book that is.

a perfect example of how short sighted and self centered the religions of man really are..

And that's where the matter of choice comes in.

i didn't mean to imply that because i believe a certain thing, other's should as well. just to clarify, religion, as everything else is by all means a personal choice. that's the reason they make ford's and chevys! ;)
--Richard--

NO, I don't believe in a Creator, angels, afterlife, or any of those other dangerous myths. I believe in Science, objective truth, and mankind.

So, in a way, you put faith in "forces" outside of yourself. Science has rules, the laws of physics, etc. I'm not trying to disparage anything you said. In a way, it is a power greater than yourself (science, truth, and mankind as a whole), which in many ways meets the definition of "God", which does not necessarily equal "religion". ;)

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I believe that something is at work, whether it follows a "devine" plan or if it is a "Law of the Universe" I do not know. All I know is that if there is a God, and I believe there is, that I am not it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>i'm surprised by this statement. after all, God created man after his
> own image.

God has an appendix? And feet that evolved from a primate's? And the teeth of an omnivore? And did he start out looking like a Neanderthal, and then change his appearance as man evolved? Or did he start out looking like a Cro-Magnon, and just waited for us to catch up?

The idea of an all-powerful male deity that need not live on the earth, but looks exactly like someone who evolved to do just that, is a little hard to swallow. As I've said before, I don't believe in the god-as-cosmic-trickster theory. Yes, if you believe the bible literally, then you have the evidence you need to convince yourself that he looks just like us. But to do that you have to swallow a whole lot of other self-contradictions and just plain wrong stuff that's scattered throughout the bible.

Well aside from eberyone elses beliefs I believe in God and am a christian. I mean Im not a nazi in christianity in saying that everything you do is gonna SEND YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL like my pastor told me, that was right before I told him to go fu*ck himself. But yeah I do.
- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

BillVon:

not to be litigious, but your comparing evolution, to religion. i'm not making any statement(s) about what man did, or did not look like at the point of creation, i simply stated what the bible says on the matter. and having said that, faith is something we all posess, whether it be in a higher power, ourselves, our careers, etc...how we utilize it is as i said a matter of personal preference. if we didn't possess some sort of faith i doubt seriously we'd hurl ourselves out of aircraft intentionally.
--Richard--