sharpfive

*^%$&* Computer Virus!!!

Norton intercepted and quarantined an email infected with the WIN32.KlezD@mm virus on my PC.When I go to delete the file (size.exe) from the quarantine folder, I get the old "Are you SURE?" message. Does anybody know if it's ok to delete it? I figure it's alright since I never opened the email.
I guess it's true, Outlook is vulnerable to the virus problem because it's so widely used.Is Eudora the way to go to avoid this nonsense???

If you use a Windows machine, Eudora will not prevent the virus attachment from being downloaded. Reading the email is completely harmless but if you execute the attachment, your machine can still be infected regardless of your email program.

However, unless you have Outlook, your machine will not become a new source for infecting others. Eudora is not vulnerable to that particular function of Klez. Some varieties of Klez will still do other damage to your computer no matter what email program you use.

If nobody used Outlook, Klez would stop spreading. In fact, all email-spread viral packages would stop spreading. Microsoft is responsible for 95% of the worldwide vulnerability in the computer infrastructure. One has to conclude it's intentional.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Klez drives me crazy... I get it in my email at work at least 10 times every day, which tells me that there are at least a few skydivers out there who have this thing on their 'puter and don't even know it.

Between viruses and spam I spend at least a half hour of every day on the delete button. What a pain in the ass.

If you don't have virus protection, get it! And run a scan once in awhile...

Lisa, a close look at the headers of Klez-bearing emails can sometimes (often) give you clues about the unintentional sender. Then you can tell the specific individual they're infected. I've been successful at getting rid of most of my daily Klez by tracking it down to just two clients.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Go ahead and dump it, you'll be fine. I use Outlook 2002 for email and Outlook Express for newsreader and haven't been infected yet (knock on wood). I update the virus definitions with Norton every week, Sunday evening, as long as you keep it updated it does a very good job at catching the nasties.
Who Dares Wins

I'm really surprised the punishment for virus writers is so lame. If someone steals millions from a company in white-collar-type crime, they typically get jail sentences for many years. I don't think the justice department understands how many millions or billions in damage these viruses do to individuals and corporations. Virus writers often get no more than a slap on the wrist when they're caught.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Doesn't Eudora or any email program other than Outlook reduce the chances of receiving a virus? I heard that most viruses (vira?) are written to work on Outlook because it is the prevailing email program world wide.
Plus, it's just another reason to stop using another Microsoft product:ph34r:

Klez drives me crazy... I get it in my email at work at least 10 times every day, which tells me that there are at least a few skydivers out there who have this thing on their 'puter and don't even know it.

Between viruses and spam I spend at least a half hour of every day on the delete button. What a pain in the ass.

If you don't have virus protection, get it! And run a scan once in awhile...

That's what I was telling people for a loooong time. So many were resistant (saying it slowed their computers down too much) that I finally gave up. I suggest Avast! home Edition to everyone that says this. It's FREE to home users, and has a small footprint on system resources.

those that will not accept this advice either I write off. I figure that they'll get hit with a destructive virus eventually. Yep, they'll learn the hard way.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It's the other way around... Using an e-mail program other than MS dramatically reduces the chance of SPREADING a virus.

Now if you're a script kiddie, are you gonna write a virus that will affect 3-4% of the computer world who are also more than likely technically competent, or do you write a virus that's gonna hit the majority of computer users who are often 1st time buyers and haven't a CLUE how to undo what you just screwed up...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Norton 2003 just caught W32sobig.a@mm on my PC this morning...it was deleted auto for me, and when I opened my e-mail just got message it had been deleted.

Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

$24.95 Norton renewal

:$B|;)

So I'm a cheap foker.

Avast 4.0 Antivirus. Full function scanner. Free. Auto email protection (inbound and outbound). Free. Auto updates. Free.

Did I mention it's free?

It's stopped literally hundreds of Klez variants in the last month alone, on my home network.

Oh, yea, it's free too!
It's your life, live it!

I use norton. It's well known and, errmmmmmm, free B|

Yep, that's exactly what a friend of mine here said. Until last month though, when she was forced to pay $25 for the next year of virus updates.

Edit to add: Besides the fact that it is a system resource hog on everything but the high end systems.
It's your life, live it!