bbarnhouse

Rig travel

Yes, I know we have covered this several times...but I thought I would share with you my experience from LAX to PHX this past week-end. Perhaps it will help you when traveling with your rig as a carry on item.
First, I carried my rig in the open, not as a display but for lack of better planning I had nothing to put it in. At the check-in counter I asked the attendant to look up the restrictions for Airtec Cypress which he did. I was informed that it was not a restricted item and my rig could indeed be carried on the aircraft. I then asked if they would print me a copy of that directive so that I would not have an issue going through security. The gentlemen was most accommodating and I passed through security without a hitch!:)BB

Excellent. I'm flying Southwest to Eloy this weekend, and I was worried about having an issue. The ABQ TSA people seem to think that the next big terrorist act will occur here, for some reason, and they have given me lots of trouble in the past.

I'll have to remember to do that at the gate.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Southest Airlines SAAS OUTPUT
"Parachutes containing the Airtec Cypress Automatic Activation Device/AAD/ Have been classified as non-regulated by the department of transportation. Therefore,customers may transport their parachutes equipped with Airtec Cypress AADs as checked or carryon baggage."
It is printed out and stapled to your ticket sleeve and looks like a boarding pass. Hope this helps!
BB

Southest Airlines SAAS OUTPUT
"Parachutes containing the Airtec Cypress Automatic Activation Device/AAD/ Have been classified as non-regulated by the department of transportation. Therefore,customers may transport their parachutes equipped with Airtec Cypress AADs as checked or carryon baggage."
It is printed out and stapledto your ticket sleeve and looks like a boarding pass. Hope this helps!
BB

I wonder if Continental has the same policy.

I wonder if united airlines has it (the people on the phone are of no help)

Yeah, I've been trying to get something similar from United with no luck. In the general forum, someone posted that USPA has a letter from United stating it's ok to take onboard and that they faxed it to the person who posted that. I messaged them to see if I could get a copy and also emailed USPA.

When I was racing through Phoenix to catch my plane Sky told me to take my rig out of the bag at the security checkpoint and to separate my alti and stick it in a tray and it would speed things up. He was right, I walked right on through.
On my way out there I just sent the bag through and ended up having to everything out (luckily we were way early anyway).
On a side note, I think its kind of scarey that the amount of metal I have punched through various parts of my body doesn't set anything off. I could do more damage with all my jewelry than my cheapo hook knife.
LAst but not least, I get to fly Americ West to AZ In 2 weeks-is the beer free if the pilots are drunk?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

On a side note, I think its kind of scarey that the amount of metal I have punched through various parts of my body doesn't set anything off

not knowing exactly where you have extra metal, but guessing, I can imagine the questions and responses you would get if they check you with a hand held metal detector. get ready for the strip search.