sharpfive

Anybody try this lately?

Way back in 1979 the folks at my home DZ were doing this: They would put together a biplane, then the bottom flier would cut away and deploy a tertiary reserve. The top flier would fly and land the biplane all alone. I saw them do a lot of these, and nobody ever got hurt. Jimmy, the guy in the pic was killed in a plane crash just a couple years after the picture was taken.

biplane.jpg

Why couldn't the bottom flier use his normal reserve?

He could have, but there are a couple of good reasons not to.

1) it's illegal, part 105.23423423 or somesuch states in a nutshell that when jumping from a plane you have to jump with a canopy that you don't intend to use in the normal course of the jump.

2) do you really want to use your actual reserve unless you really need to? Remember, it's not your second chance, it's your last chance.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

i've heard about this formation but it is the first time that i have seen a pic. i believe it is called a "ghostplane". i had one friend do one of these for a friend of his who died. after flying around the ghostplane for awhile, he let go of the canopy (which had belonged to the dead man) and they made no effort to find or retrieve it.

i'd have no problem trying it, just got to get hooked up with 3 chute system!!!

b

As noted just above, these were called "ghostplanes". We tried a couple of them without success way back when. One resulted in my buddy's first reserve ride when the ghost canopy entangled with his pilot chute and started collapsing his main.

We used separable D-rings to attach a tertiary parachute to the main lift webs when doing intentional cutaways. We'd just chop and then dump our reserves. The tersh was just there for backup.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It was done in Deland just recently while testing the "skyhook." Tried to get good footage of the skyhook in action, and I think this was one good way of getting itB|

Edited to add: The guy left with the "bi-plane" at the end was the one wearing the camera, obviously.

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!