Gato

Micro Sigma Reserve Closing Loop...adjustable???

Greetings, fellow regroes...

I'm repacking a Micro Sigma, and it came into the loft with what can only be described as an "adjustable" reserve closing loop.

UPT closes at 12pm EST on Fridays, so I can't call and ask them about it, and I cannot seem to find any details of this thing anywhere in the Sigma manual pack. (There is a knotted length of Cypres cord at the washer, and the fingertrapped section is very long, running under the backpad to a looped piece of Super Tack.) So once the rig is closed, you could grab onto the free loop with a screwdriver or bodkin, and torque the closing loop down tighter. Legal? Illegal?

I've been told the appropriate length (to start, anyway,) is around 4.75 inches, and that's fine - I've just never seen an adjustable loop on anything other than a Reflex.

Any of you know whether this is the correct loop, or am I just dealing with a creative rigger's aftermath? Or should it just be a traditional closing loop?

Please help!!!
T.I.N.S.

Ah, a "Lodi loop" as I heard it called in a thread a few years back - search for "Quick loop on a Vector III?".

Whether I'd want to use it, I'm not sure. Sounds like one of those things where if you as the rigger determine it is compatible, it is, and if you don't, it isn't...

That's damn funny...this rig WAS jumped at Lodi at one point.

I have determined that it is not compatible. Being a rigger that is not very long in the tooth, I'm unwilling to use an alternative closing loop until I know for a fact it's allowed by the mfr.

Thanks, man!!!
T.I.N.S.

That's damn funny...this rig WAS jumped at Lodi at one point.

I have determined that it is not compatible. Being a rigger that is not very long in the tooth, I'm unwilling to use an alternative closing loop until I know for a fact it's allowed by the mfr.

Thanks, man!!!

I've never seen one and I own a Micro SIGMA.

I wouldn't pack it with one either. No gain if you pack it properly and it gives the user the chance to seriously increase reserve pull force.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lodi Loops tend to be a west coast thing. I have ran into a few different rigs that had them and for the most part the last rigger was almost always a west coast rigger. One was in Hawaii and two were in California.

I can see the point of them if you are getting a rig that you don't have a guide to use for the loop length but for most rigs they are not needed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ah!
The "Lodi Loop."
They were fashionable in California circa 2000. The justification was that they were a "similar TSOed component" ... similar to the adjustable reserve closing loop in the Reflex (single-pin Pop-Top) reserve container. Adjustable closing loops are important on Po-Tops, but less important on single-pin sport rigs like Atom, Centarus, Dolphin, Eclipse, Genesis, Icon, Javelin, Micron, Naro, Sigma, Talon, Vector, Wings, Xerox, etc.

I used Lodi Loops for a few years, mainly on rigs (e.g. Genesis) that I did not know the official loop length.
But I quit installing Lodi Loops after a manufacturers and CSPA's Technical Committee gave me grief.

There is not much point to installing adjustable closing loops in a rig like a Sigma/Micron/Vector where the loop length is well know. I forget the exact number, but it is around 4.75 inches.

Hopefully Bill Booth will chime in with his "There is no point to installing loop longer than X in a Sigma/Micron?Vector" statement.

:)
Nice work - use only the cypres loop which is set by Airtec & UPT manual.

I use for the Sigma with VR360 a 4 1/8" (10.5 cm) closing loop.(from disc to end of loop)

Do not use a too long loop for few reasons:
1.The reserve p/c will sit high.
2.The Sigma have an "Under p/c AAD Cutter" so a too long loop might be an issue at AAD firing.
3.The reserve p/c might shift from place.

Take Care.

I've done a few of these and the 4.25-4.5" range has always worked. Super neat folds and weighted to get all the air out. Works great. Till now. I'm at 3500' and after breaking 3 loops (yeah, knew the last 2 were gonna go. Just wanted to see how close I could get to finishing), I settled at 5.5" and it was still tight. Been told about this before, just figured I could do it better. I was wrong.