beau31duke

Some Military Pictures

>That's like trying to hit a bullet with a bullet coming out of two M9
> handguns ... pretty impossible

Yet we're building a missile defense system based on that very premise. Except, of course, in the case of the missile defense system the "bullets" are going ten times faster than a bullet and have all of low earth orbit to hide in.

>Wow!! has any one jumped a shuttle.

Taz Clark jumped a simulated shuttle. He'd wear the pressure suit, the parachute, etc and then exit out of a shuttle mockup (side door of a C130) with the egress pole. He said it was one of the less-favorite parts of his job.

Like I said, there are more reliable things, but I remember this when I first heard about it in 1999 ... it was a B-2, not F-117. I'm in between meetings and such and haven't been able to do a great search to find better artcles, but I'm sure if we look hard enough, we can find one. The Spirit was shot down.

Some European countries have actually started developing technology that can detect any aircraft, stealth or not. It was noticed only by accident, but cell phones have a "network" in the sky, and everything that flies in the sky disturbs this network. They've been able to track aircraft breaking the planes of this network. Stealth or not to radar or IR, you're still something MOVING in space ... it's still VERY VERY early in it's stages, but it'll be fully implemented in the next 10-20 years probably (IMHO).

Back on track ...
The stealth does in fact sometimes show up intermittently on radar, so the Russians would have been able to see the possible vector the aircraft was taking and figured out where it would be and when so they could shoot one down blindly. It's not all that impossible to imagine. Try searching the sites for the article ... I know it happened so I'm not going to use any more of my time to convince of it, but if you really are interested in reading about it, I'm sure it'll turn up!
Cheers!B|

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I was at Patrick AFB, here near NASA visiting the team that handles emergencies during take-off one day and they showed us a video of a guy launching off the pole at a REALLY REALLY fast airspeed ... it looked SUPER painful, lol ... but I'd do it if I had to!:S

I think the idea behind using a missle to kill a missle may be using a blast radius to destroy the missle, instead of a direct hit. It's different when you have a human mind behind a sophisticated radar that can see the missle coming ahead (since it would have to be launched early on and way ahead of the plane) ... the pilot can just move, hehe.:S

[/url]http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0100/time2.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/313465.stm[url]

they say f117 was shot down, i also remember the newsbroadcasts.

i searched around, and found nothing exept the page you had link provided. honestly, not trying to start a flamewar here, are you sure you remember this correctly?

i´m done for the night, gotta sleep, cya tomorrow

F-14? I don't see one?? I see an F/A-18 and an F-15E, but no 14 ... the lighter grey is the Navy's F/A-18 Hornet (not the Super Hornet), not an F-14 TomcatB|

It was later in the year, May ... and not by Serbs, but by Russians ... when I get a little more time, I'll try and find this ... and no worries about a "flamewar," it's all good!B|

Yes, something is definitely rotten in Denmark. First of all, this tidbit..."Typically the B-2 flies with one crew member, but can carry two" is wrong. The B-2 is primarily a two man plane, with the space for the ocasional third. Second, even this article admits this..."So they shot the plane down -- maybe -- but that was it." Third, I happen to live about thirty minutes away from the only, repeat only, place in the whole freakin' world they admit to calling home for these things, and yes, I've taken the tour. They absolutely do not have 52 B-2's. They don't have the hangar space there. Even if they crammed, and I'm talking crammed here, they could only have about 30, tops. Of course, they don't admit to having even that many.

Too many facts that don't work in my book.

Awesome pics, and to answer that broadside salvo from a battleship question, yes, it really does move the whole ship over about 20-25 feet. Those 16' shells have been described as "rounds the size of VW bugs that can travel 20+ miles and hit you in the f@&%ing head" by a friend who served on the USS Missouri.

Truman Sparks for President

yes that article sure stinks, USAF has 21 of those planes, and if one of those would be shot down, imho it would raise hell. iiirc one of them costs 2billion dollars... :SB|

I have followed (military) aviation for long time(as long as i can remember) and i believe i would have catched the news that a b2 was shot down...

but if someone has proof then i stand corrected.

Those 16' shells have been described as "rounds the size of VW bugs that can travel 20+ miles and hit you in the f@&%ing head" by a friend who served on the USS Missouri.

there not 16 feet they are 16 inches...and they aren't the size of a VW bug...but they do weigh close to that....the distances you have are right on...and computers can make the fuckers drop where ever they want them too....:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

" Every other plane (including all the stealths) has been shot down at least once."

B-1? B-2?

I heard we lost one B-1 because the pilots ran it out of CG by transferring fuel improperly. Something to remember the next time you want to put 11 people behind the red line on a Skyvan.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Okay, I haven't been able to find anything either, so until I do, I'll stand corrected. I only found 1 thing, but it was weird because the search engine showed text explaining the shoot down in May, but the link didn't work ... :S
Yea, there's 21 (plus 1 test plane) of the B-2s, that part's right.

I googled this.

http://www.geocities.com/cpa_blacktown_02/19990609b2stealth.htm

and this

Serbs claim they ?downed' another stealth plane, while the Pentagon still prefers to use the verb ?crashed' in reference to the one and only stealth plane the Pentagon acknowledges as missing. The second Stealth plane was allegedly ?downed' over Bosnia, and the wreckage was promptly surrounded by American troops preventing Serbian TV of taking a shot.

From http://balkansnet.org/raccoon/kosova.html

Yea, that looks to be it! May 1999 ... I knew the city was Sur something, couldn't remember the name. Eh, I was still wrong about Russia, guess it was the Serbs.:S Thanks Jack ... I didn't think I was going crazy just yet!