RevJim

Scotty, Tami, and the WFFC in general

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about something since the WFFC 2002 in Rantoul. Everyone that was there and many that were not know about the wedding of Scotty and Tami. How many of you remember them repeatedly calling over the pa system for skydiving Reverends? It seemed almost constant.

For some time, every time I saw Tami, she said the same thing: "Are you sure you can't marry us?" Each time it pained me to tell her that yes, I could not marry them. Laws vary from state to state, and county to county within those states. From what I could remember, Illinois required the registering of credentials pryor to any weddings being done.

Sure, I could have married them, and hoped for the best, but how upset would they have been, how sour would that day look if I went to turn in the marriage certificate, only to find it would not be accepted? Even worse, what if 10 years down the line they found out the marriage was not legal?

I was origianlly planning on doing a wedding in Rantoul, but the groom of the couple in question decided that sanity was not for him. Well, after that, I never bothered to register in Illinois.

I have had a few interesting conversations with Beth (Snowwhite here), and she liked my idea. According to her, it sounded good to others of the staff, though I'm not sure who all she told about it.

Here's what I was thinking. Would it be a good idea to have a section of the WFFC, possibly even a webpage link or email address, for weddings? As many people know, the success of any wedding lies in the planning, and I would be willing to answer any and all questions in these matters, as would Beth. I am also willing to make sure my credentials are registered so that the problem that Scotty and Tami had never has to manifest itself again.

I'm being quite serious here people, and would appreciate some serious replies, as would Beth.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about something since the WFFC 2002 in Rantoul. Everyone that was there and many that were not know about the wedding of Scotty and Tami. How many of you remember them repeatedly calling over the pa system for skydiving Reverends? It seemed almost constant.

For some time, every time I saw Tami, she said the same thing: "Are you sure you can't marry us?" Each time it pained me to tell her that yes, I could not marry them. Laws vary from state to state, and county to county within those states. From what I could remember, Illinois required the registering of credentials pryor to any weddings being done.

Sure, I could have married them, and hoped for the best, but how upset would they have been, how sour would that day look if I went to turn in the marriage certificate, only to find it would not be accepted? Even worse, what if 10 years down the line they found out the marriage was not legal?

I was origianlly planning on doing a wedding in Rantoul, but the groom of the couple in question decided that sanity was not for him. Well, after that, I never bothered to register in Illinois.

I have had a few interesting conversations with Beth (Snowwhite here), and she liked my idea. According to her, it sounded good to others of the staff, though I'm not sure who all she told about it.

Here's what I was thinking. Would it be a good idea to have a section of the WFFC, possibly even a webpage link or email address, for weddings? As many people know, the success of any wedding lies in the planning, and I would be willing to answer any and all questions in these matters, as would Beth. I am also willing to make sure my credentials are registered so that the problem that Scotty and Tami had never has to manifest itself again.

I'm being quite serious here people, and would appreciate some serious replies, as would Beth.

Anybody can get "married" in a wedding "ceremony" and anybody can conduct a wedding "ceremony" (I saw a truly weird atheist wedding in my area back in 2001).

However, to make it legally binding, state laws must be observed.

Why not just have all the religious (or atheist or wiccan) ceremonies you want at Rantoul, and let the couple get licensed in their home state on their own initiative?

Seems like way too much hassle to go through the legal rigamarole when people come to Rantoul from everywhere.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Mark,
Most people, contrary to your belief, get married once. A ceremony at Rantoul and a legal arrangement later does not make Ranoul the wedding day.

You also mention the hassles of the weddings. Well, that's what I'm offering. To take care of the hassle end of the spectrum, give a memorable and legal ceremony. I'm asking nothing for this myself either. I believe anyone seeking happiness deserves it.
It's your life, live it!

I think you have a good idea there RevJim. It could be like one of those wedding type chapels in Vegas. At least if you had something set up ahead of time people may make plans instead of doing it on the spur of the moment and then maybe regretting it later on. It could be included in the advertising leading up to the boogie. Good luck.......

Mark,
Most people, contrary to your belief, get married once.

Funny, my wicked stepfather has been married three times, and I suppose he's working on the fourth...;)

I get you. I just don't know if it would be worth going to all the trouble, (I may be mistaken, but I don't think many skydivers are going to get hitched at Rantoul in a given year, and you'd have to pay Illinois fees every year, I guess), but maybe you could contact Deke about setting up a legit franchise at the WFFC.

Oops, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding there Mark. I meant once per marriage. :S

As I said, I'm not worried about the hassles, fees, nada. If I can see the smiles on one couple every few years, it would be well worth it.

It's your life, live it!

Oops, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding there Mark. I meant once per marriage. :S

As I said, I'm not worried about the hassles, fees, nada. If I can see the smiles on one couple every few years, it would be well worth it.

I knew what you meant, Jim, I was just giving you a hard time...B|