sundevil777

Hollywood celebs aren't antiwar. They just hate the president.

From Opinionjounal.com:

Stars and Gripes
Hollywood celebs aren't antiwar. They just hate the president.

Some celebrities are at least honest about their hypocrisy. Comedian Janeane Garofalo was blunt in explaining why Hollywood types didn't protest any of Mr. Clinton's military ventures: "It wasn't very hip."
That's ironic, because President Clinton's intervention in Kosovo was much less justifiable. Weapons of mass destruction were not an issue; the rationale was exclusively humanitarian. "Our mission is clear," Mr. Clinton said in March, 1999: "to demonstrate the seriousness of NATO's purpose, so that the Serbian leaders understand the imperative of reversing course, to deter an even bloodier offensive against innocent civilians in Kosovo, and if necessary, to seriously damage the Serbian military's capacity to harm the people of Kosovo. In short, if President Milosevic will not make peace, we will limit his ability to make war." Insert the words "Iraq" and "Saddam" and "the United Nations" in the above excerpt and you could have a speech that President Bush would be happy to give on Iraq.

In fact, the Clinton administration was far less willing to seek approval from the United Nations for its bombing campaign than the Bush White House has been over Iraq. In criticizing the Bush team's decision to seek an 18th U.N. resolution to justify the use of force in Iraq, Richard Holbrooke, a Clinton U.N. ambassador, points out that "in a roughly similar situation, in 1999, the Clinton administration and our NATO allies decided to bomb Serbia (for 77 days) without even seeking U.N. approval, after it became clear that Russia would veto any proposal. This contrast with the supposedly muscular Bush administration is especially odd when one considers that Saddam Hussein is far worse than Slobodan Milosevic, and that Iraq has left a long trail of violated Security Council resolutions, while there were none in Kosovo."

Mr. Clinton himself now cautions against going to war in Iraq, but he seems to be having an argument with the man by the same name who occupied the White House for eight years. Here is President Clinton on Iraq in 1998: "What if Saddam fails to comply and we fail to act, or we take some ambiguous third route which gives him yet more opportunities to develop this program of weapons of mass destruction? . . . Well, he will conclude that the international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction. And someday, some way, I guarantee you he'll use the arsenal."

I'm not into country music, or anything, but Chuck makes some sense.

(aside from the silly name-calling)

"Charlie Daniels' Open Letter to the Hollywood Bunch"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK -- Let's just say for a moment you bunch of pampered, overpaid, unrealistic children had your way and the U.S.A. didn't go into Iraq.

Let's say that you really get your way and we destroy all our nuclear weapons and stick daisies in our gun barrels and sit around with some white wine and cheese and pat ourselves on the back, so proud of what we've done for world peace.

Let's say that we cut the military budget to just enough to keep the National Guard on hand to help out with floods and fires.

Let's say that we close down our military bases all over the world and bring the troops home, increase our foreign aid and drop all the trade sanctions against everybody.

I suppose that in your fantasy world this would create a utopian world where everybody would live in peace. After all, the great monster, the United States of America, the cause of all the world's trouble would have disbanded it's horrible military and certainly all the other countries of the world would follow suit.

After all, they only arm themselves to defend their countries from the mean old U.S.A.

Why you bunch of pitiful, hypocritical, idiotic, spoiled mugwumps. Get your head out of the sand and smell the Trade Towers burning.

Do you think that a trip to Iraq by Sean Penn did anything but encourage a wanton murderer to think that the people of the U.S.A. didn't have the nerve or the guts to fight him?

Barbra Streisand's fanatical and hateful rantings about George Bush makes about as much sense as Michael Jackson hanging a baby over a railing.

You people need to get out of Hollywood once in a while and get out into the real world. You'd be surprised at the hostility you would find out here.

Stop in at a truck stop and tell an overworked, long distance truck driver that you don't think Saddam Hussein is doing anything wrong.

Tell a farmer with a couple of sons in the military that you think! the United States has no right to defend itself.

Go down to Baxley, Georgia and hold an anti-war rally and see what the folks down there think about you.

You people are some of the most disgusting examples of a waste of protoplasm I've ever had the displeasure to hear about.

Sean Penn, you're a traitor to the United States of America. You gave aid and comfort to the enemy. How many American lives will your little, "fact finding trip" to Iraq cost? You encouraged Saddam to think that we didn't have the stomach for war.

You people protect one of the most evil men on the face of this earth and won't lift a finger to save the life of an unborn baby.
Freedom of choice you say?

Well I'm going to exercise some freedom of choice of my own.

If I see any of your names on a marquee, I'm going to boycott the movie. I will completely stop going to movies if I have to.
In most cases it certainly wouldn't be much of a loss.

You scoff at our military whose boots you're not even worthy to shine.

They go to battle and risk their lives so ingrates like you can live in luxury.

The day of reckoning is coming when you will be faced with the undeniable truth that the war against Saddam Hussein is the war on terrorism.

America is in imminent danger. You're either for her or against her. There is no middle ground.

I think we all know where you stand.

What do you think?

God Bless America!

Charlie Daniels
Copyright (c) 2003 Charlie Daniels

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Hmmmmm, yep. This is what happens when you live 3/4's of your life being someone else. Anyone want to tell these people that they should really attempt to be themselves at least one or two days a week? It leads nowhere, but would be entertaining to see the reaction on their faces.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

"Stop in at a truck stop and tell an overworked, long distance truck driver that you don't think Saddam Hussein is doing anything wrong."

I deal with these guys every week, Chuck. Do you? Most are so zonked out from lack of sleep--hell--most can't even pay attention, let alone make an intelligent comment about geo-political events. Try another source, Chuck.

This letter is so much redneck pablum--it's scarcely worthy of serious consideration. Chuck made his money by pandering to the Redman chewing, bassboat buying, trailer park rabble. Chuck buys into Bush's single-cell mentality of "with us or against us."
We don't live in a binary, black or white world, Chuck. Your brown shirt is in the mail, though.

"Go down to Baxley, Georgia and hold an anti-war rally and see what the folks down there think about you."

I read about what this bunch of "good American" white trash did to those who chose to express their First Amendment rights. And these are the same bozos who cried because a few Vietnam vets got spat on? And so it goes . . . .
“Keep your elbow up!"

"Stop in at a truck stop and tell an overworked, long distance truck driver that you don't think Saddam Hussein is doing anything wrong."

I deal with these guys every week, Chuck. Do you? Most are so zonked out from lack of sleep--hell--most can't even pay attention, let alone make an intelligent comment about geo-political events. Try another source, Chuck.

EXCUSE ME?

Just where do you deal with 'these guys' every week? Either you just happen to see a really nasty cross section, or you see the same people over and over and over.

You are so far off base with that comment you might as well be standing on the moon, and if any of the drivers I know heard it, that's where you would want to be standing.

Hell, I know one PhD in particular that drives for Fed Ex now. Why? Good money and every weekend off. This is a guy that could out speak BillVon.

Get out some more dude.

Chille, where are you?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

"Hell, I know one PhD in particular that drives for Fed Ex now. Why? Good money and every weekend off. This is a guy that could out speak BillVon."

OK--you win. Your anecdotal evidence outplayed MY anecdotal evidence.

"You are so far off base with that comment you might as well be standing on the moon, and if any of the drivers I know heard it, that's where you would want to be standing."

LMAO. Wiping a tear. Catching my breath. OK. OK--let's just say--I'm quivering with anticipation.
I stand by my assertion. I actually like about 95% of these overworked SOB's. I just wouldn't use them--or Charlie McDaniels for any political insight (your ONE PhD notwithstanding).

I guess MY opinion is just as worthless as Chuck's. Et toi!! C'est la vie . . . .
:D

“Keep your elbow up!"

Rules say "No Personal Attacks", But I guarantee you group attacks won't be allowed either, You insulted about 30 skydivers that I know in one post. I believe you need to grow up and realize that all the people you mentioned make your life as you know it possible.

------Have a good one!--------

"Rules say "No Personal Attacks", But I guarantee you group attacks won't be allowed either, You insulted about 30 skydivers that I know in one post. I believe you need to grow up and realize that all the people you mentioned make your life as you know it possible."

I'm not sure who I could have "personally attacked" in either of my posts. In fact I was obliquely threatened for daring to suggest that truck drivers might not be the best source for geo-political commentary. And, believe me, I'm all growed up.

If you are referring to the "good people" who harassed, screamed at and ganged up on the war protesters--I stand by my post. To paraphrase our pResident: either you're for the Constitution--or you're against it.

I'm an American--and I'm FOR the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I am AGAINST anyone who represents the bottom-feeder mentality of McCarthyism and fascism. That's no American I respect.

My wife is from Alabama and I love her and her family dearly. I love the "southern way" (most of the time). The rednecks of Chicago gave Martin Luther King some of his worst times during the civil rights struggle. No--this is not about bashing southerners. This about bashing a mentality that sees everything in a simplistic black-white way. If you oppose pre-emptive war against Iraq, you are a traitor and are unAmerican?? Gimme a huge BREAK!!.

How DARE Chuck Daniels--or anyone (including the President) call me, a Hollywood celebrity--or anyone --unAmerican for daring to question this insane rush to kill! I have done my homework. Have you studied the results of US foreign policy over the last 50+ years? Do you have an open mind--or are you paralyzed by the same jingoistic blindness that has overtaken too many, otherwise decent, people in this country? Does the phrase "9/11" make your knee jerk??
“Keep your elbow up!"

Isnt it just another opportunity for the celbs both film and music to get face time. Personnaly i think its disgusting they are abusing their stardom to make their own point, as we are all equal in this particular situation except the politicians who have been voted by the electorate to be a voice. i can just see the fuck off pill a member of joe public would get if they hijacked the brit awards, or rang up cnn and said bring your cameras down i want to make a statement.Sorry but the stars are nothing special in this IMHO.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Does anyone have any comments about the hypocrisy that the letter pointed out? To everyone that blindly follows Billy C like he was the greatest thing since soft toilet paper, how do you feel about the contrast between the Kosovo and Iraq situations? We've already heard the one opinion that there was an active war going on, but what about all the tit for tat shooting in Iraq against UN planes?

Call a spade a spade. A lot of people in this country will vehemently oppose anything that George Bush does. They play him out to be the dumbest man alive because he's less articulate than some other presidents. All I can say is, that kind of elitism disgusts me. It seems that people are so eager to pick sides that they forget the issues at hand altogether as well as forgetting which side they were on in the past.
Oh, hello again!