rgoper

Would You Take The Money Or Not?

If you were Rudy & Nancy Montoya, would you accept the reward money for tipping the authorities to Elizabeth Smart's location?

Or would you just be glad she was returned to her family alive and well?

Or, would you take the notion of "Hell yeah, i'll take the money!" thus the old adage: "Never look a "gift horse" in the mouth.

I voted option # 2 by the way.

that said and done, i'm truly grateful for these people who made the call to insure Elizabeth's safe return to her family.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Watching her dad during the interviews gave me the creeps. He was always crying but there were never any tears. Something tells me there's a reason she didn't bolt. I don't know what it is, but there's a reason.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I dont know why, call it wierd intuition, but I am with Keith on this one. Something is very weird about this...it just has a 'creepy oompa loompa vibe.' I am filing this along with Jon Benet Ramsey. I would probably take the money.

But I am more curious to know what really happened. I would say the parents not free of fault, but like I said just weird intuition.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Hey, have you guys ever heard of Stockholm syndrome? It's where hostages identify with their captors...Patty Hearst comes to mind, and so on. People in crisis do odd things. Remember that she was taken from her home, in the middle of the night, at, as it now seems, at knifepoint. Elizabeth is a shy, intelligent child, very attached to her siblings and parents. Had there been a threat, say, of death to her sister Mary Kathrine, or to her little brother, even if to us as adults safe and sound in our homes that is ridiculous, Elizabeth may have believed it, and not done a thing. It is not the first time this would have happened, and will not be the last.

Emmanuel Mitchell is very religious, very much like a Jim Jones in the making, according to released reports. His stepdaughter has also mentioned the use of drugs, which adds still another factor to her plight...although these have been unstubstantiated. The story is with Emmanuel Mitchell, not with Elizabeth's father not crying. I mean, c'mon, guys...it's less than 24 hours old...let the facts come out before you start whacking a father around for not crying, for heaven's sake.

As for the original question, yes, I'd take the $$. And give a whole heck of a lot of it to charity, or to a missing children's fund (that is reputable). The rest I'd use to get out of debt (and buy gear), and start a fund for my neice and nephew to go to college.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I agree with you Michele, I thought of Stockhold Syndrome. And like I said it is completely unfounded. But something just feels weird. Read the history of it. They have questioned multiple people about this, including several drifters that worked for them, one of which was serving a sentence for burglary related to them. How many drifters would you allow access to your home after one had already been involved in a robbery?
--

Yes, I've heard of Stockholm syndrome, and I'm familiar with the Patty Hearst case. I'm not suspicious of the father simply because he didn't cry in a few interviews. I'm suspicious because he was fake crying in those interviews. There were other things that cause suspicion on my part, but the fake crying was the most obvious.
Keith

How much is the reward, by the way?

I would definitely take it. If I was astute enough to recognize Elizabeth, wearing a wig, after who-knows-how-many people looked right past her, I'd say hand it over.
Then I'd do what Michele said- donate (a fund for kidnapped kids does seem appropriate- tax deductible, of course- no telling how much the g. would claim), pay bills, help my brother, and then jump my ass off!

Though intuition can be scary accurate, I also agree with Michele about taking caution with assessments about the dad... That kidnapper is whacked out, and probably very skilled at manipulation.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I agree...none would enter my home. Except criminal records aren't available for me to check out...especially for "day work", under the table, cash money rake the leaves kind of thing.

If what people are upset about is the naivety of the Smarts for allowing criminals in their home, then one also needs to look at the religious aspect - giving people another chance, forgiving the sin and not rejecting the sinner, and so forth. So if folks are upset at that, understand the situation and familial structure first, before chasing the father for not crying...

And I also have to add that I've seen my father cry, and there were no tears either. And it was at the funeral of his sister, my aunt.

If there is fault to be laid, lay it where it belongs - with Emmanuel Mitchell, and perhaps to a very small extent the SL Police for not dropping everything and openly pursuing Mitchell when the family brought it to their attention. However, that aspect, as well, has not been fully discussed, and so I am not quite ready to whack the police around just yet, either.

Just my .02....

Ciels-
Michele

Yes, I thought exactly what you said about the relegious aspect. But the history indicates that they did not persay allow a criminal in their home. One of the people they hired burglarized their home. Not someone elses in the past. That would make me think twice about hiring a drifter. Although personally I think it would be responsible of my family duties to do so in the first place. Helping others while indirectly putting my family at riskis not a good thing.

has not been fully discussed

That seems to apply to the entire case, which is one reason I get a weird feeling. I admit I may be totally wrong; hope I am. Just seems odd.
--

that made me suspecious was a picture of pre and post Elizabeth Smart. of course when she was abducted she was 7-8 months younger, so the pictures were quite contrasting, that said, what "rasied my red flag" was the picture taken of her just yesterday, she was smiling from ear to ear as if nothing had ever happened, no facial emotion even remotely portrayed of physical or emotional distress. this probably means nothing, but it's a simple observation. also, she claims to have heard her name called out by search parties while she was in a tent, and being in the tent by herself. i'm her, by myself, ungaurded i'm "bustin' a move" and getting out of dodge! i reiterate the fact i'm glad she's been returned safely under whatever the circumstances may be. :)

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

One of the people they hired burglarized their home. Not someone elses in the past. That would make me think twice about hiring a drifter.

Does anyone know when Emmanuel Mitchell was doing his roof and rake gig, and when Rici was there? IIRC, and I may not be, Rici was the one who burgled the home, right? Is that who you're referring to? Anyone know the time-line?

I think there will be additional info coming out about Mitchell, such as the unconfirmed report that Elizabeth was taken to San Diego, and that Mitchell has several "wives", in an outlawed poligamist marriage. Once the facts of the case are laid out, if there's still something hinky, then we can look to other directions...

I am just cautioning folk against going after the Smart family just yet. There may have been something sideways there...I just don't know at this point.

Ciels-
Michele

Does anyone know when Emmanuel Mitchell was doing his roof and rake gig, and when Rici was there? IIRC, and I may not be, Rici was the one who burgled the home, right? Is that who you're referring to? Anyone know the time-line?

I am not certain, based on the news reports, I think that Rici burglarized the house first. But...either way is bad! If you had been burglarized would you continue to hire drifters? If your daughter had been abducted would you continue to hire drifters? No matter which came first, it does not make sense to me.
--

I have nothing concrete to point at, but I got the same hinky feeling from Susan Smith. The fact that Elizabeth was just blocks from home at a party 3 weeks after she was abducted and didn't say a thing seems odd to me. I'm not saying the father is guilty of anything. I'm saying his actions, words and manerisms raised a red flag for me. Nothing more nothing less.
Keith