buba07

When to flare?

Okay, here goes. Please keep in mind the "sticky" entitled "Warning on advice given here". I am going to operate as if you have read that and understand it. No, I'm not going to give skydiving advice, so don't worry.

I have two hook knives, yet I have never carried them on a skydive.

I know that I would like to have the option of cutting a line to clear a reserve line-over. I have studied, read, and put myself through enough "what-if" scenarios to conclude that I really do need to have one with me.

Why have I never jumped with it? I have said to two instructors over the course of my 10 jumps, "why doesn't this student rig have a hook knife"? Neither responded with, "you really should have one, and this is why...". If it was really important, don't you think that they would have said so? I guess not.

My reasons for carrying one (or knowing that I should carry one) are the same as several of you have mentioned. That didn't come from an instructor though. It came from my reading and thinking through situations. This is the same thing that several "low jump number" posters have demonstrated in this thread. They posted their understandings of a situation.

My point is that it is possible for us (all of us) to learn something by not shooting down (angrily in some cases) the ideas presented by anyone here. There are some here who were never trained on when or even how to use a hook knife, while others were. Because we come from different backgrounds, we bring different experiences to the table. If you don't agree with the information presented, then present what you believe is correct. If you don't understand the information presented, describe what you do understand and ask for clarification.

I am involved in another activity as an adjudicator. The international governing body of that activity has a philosophy on judging that makes a lot of sense. The judge is supposed to act in one of three different capacities: teacher, counselor, or critic. The capacity is determined by the experience of those being judged. To relate it to giving feedback in this forum: Young jumpers would be addressed from the standpoint that you are a teacher for them (they know almost nothing). Intermediate jumpers would get counselor-like feedback (shaping and refining the knowledge that they have), and more advanced jumpers would get critical feedback.

I want to be on the same team with you guys, but I could swear that some of you don't want anyone around that thinks for themselves and shares those thoughts. I guess they could have kept to themselves and potentially gone in after making a fatal error. Isn't it better that they didn't keep to themselves?

- David

ps - If you don't like the "discussion" format of a forum, then you really should put your opinions into articles and submit them for inclusion in the Safety Articles area of the web site.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

On the whole I like your post.......however, if people have the right to post and question then others have the right to reply. Some peoples reply may not be (in your judgement) the best way of responding. However as you say "read the sticky". If you don't like some of (the standard) replies then don't post.

If you have any questions about this please ask your instructor;)

With love in Christ

On the whole I like your post.......however, if people have the right to post and question then others have the right to reply.

Absolutely! Otherwise it wouldn't be a discussion forum. It would be a pulpit.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Interesting experience I had with hook knife.

In the UK we must have one to jump, yet when I went jumping in Spain some of the european crowd were freaking out asking why I had a hook knife! :D

I still don't get their concerns. Maybe they don't like them because they fear people will use them when they should be chopping a main away or similar.