wmw999

Why post to draw fire

I got an interesting answer to a fairly angry PM I sent once: "I thought my post would draw fire." Well, in that case it did.

What I don't understand is why post something just to draw fire, or start shit? What's the purpose? Does it make people feel smart to see others losing control? Does it make them feel powerful to have started an angry (if content-free) thread? Do you think you get better responses? Is it just more fun?

Why not focus on content and quality?

I'm asking an honest question. Most people who think they're posting probing questions to draw fire seem to end up drawing exactly that: fire. Not an exchange of ideas, certainly not respect, not any sort of bringing of others to respecting other points of view.

Clearly there are people who think it's valid. Why?

Wendy W.

BTW: If anyone recognizes the quote from a PM, I've tried really hard to make it completely unidentifiable. I'm not trying to target anyone, I'm really interested in why people think it's worthwhile to start shit.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ever been on a discussion forum with "whuffo" or similar type people on it? BORING!!! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Boring is from the subject matter, or sometimes from people who run on at the keyboard. But a fight doesn't make it more interesting, does it?

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

They're called trolls. They may be encountered in varying degrees of sophistication.

Other than that, I prefer content and quality too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Wendy,

See it as an exercise in Suffering Fools. These days I really have to control myself not to respond scathingly to all the cr@p that is posted, but I think that the question we need to ask ourself is whether people with such simple thought processes will even understand criticism if they are confronted with it.

They are basic stimulus-response types, and at the moment they are reacting to the stimuli they are receiving in the only way they know - growing spikes.

Again, double :P.

--
ZZZzzzz....

people with such simple thought processes will even understand criticism if they are confronted with it.
They are basic stimulus-response types, and at the moment they are reacting to the stimuli they are receiving in the only way they know - growing spikes.

These statements could be taken as an attack by those who loudly support the war.

Think before you post, people! Even if it's not a direct personal attack, if it is something that might incite others to attack then it's NOT okay to post it.

These statements could be taken as an attack by those who loudly support the war.

They would be wrong then. (edited to insert: to assume that it is aimed at them in particular.)

Just getting a little fed up with the direction most threads are taking.

My apologies to anyone unintentionally offended.

--
ZZZzzzz....

They would be wrong then.

At this point, it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. The bad vibes around this place HAVE to stop, and the moderators are done letting insults - however thinly veiled - slide by. Comments like that one do not add anything positive to the discussions.

edit: see http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=425359;#425359

I am still misunderstood here. Nothing I said was thinly veiled at all. I did not mean to criticise anyone in particular, just voice a general tiredness with the one line (and mostly offensive) responses that are so frequent in all the war threads.

I thought that the rule was "No personal attacks" anyway?

But I may be wrong. I usually am. ;)

--
ZZZzzzz....

What I don't understand is why post something just to draw fire, or start shit? What's the purpose? Does it make people feel smart to see others losing control? Does it make them feel powerful to have started an angry (if content-free) thread? Do you think you get better responses? Is it just more fun?

I know I spend quite a bit of time counseling kids for conflict resolution. A lot of kids try to get an angry response out of others in the school. It may be another kid or even a teacher. If they can get an angry response they often do feel powerful, and will continue in that kind of behavior as long as they can get the desired response.

I know that the forums are being monitored closely now for any type of disrespect. (Which is good!) But I also think some people (on the forums) may be trying to see if they can get some other individuals fired up, and even kicked off these forums. In other words they may be baiting others. I guess adults aren't that much different than kids. Steve1

The liberal media does not post stories of compasson and caring....USUALLY. What makes the news is SHOCKING headlines, and RUBBERNECKING type accidents.
Why drive slow and look at an accident scene?
Because you know you want to see what happened.
Enough said.

Peace,
Thomas

Wendy,

Remember how when your son was small and every time you got on the phone he wanted your attention? Or when he maybe pitched a temper tandrum in the middle of the floor? There are some adults that are the same way. They see things rocking along smoothly and people don't see them as the spotlight and so they start acting in ways that draws that needed attention. The best way to handle it is to do like you did with your son. I used to turn my back onmy kids if I was on the phone. I literally stepped over the temper tantrum and walked out of the room. The behavior stopped.

Basically there are people on here that I will never argue with, never even give the respect of a response because they are trying to manipulate our responses and acquired that needed attention. If everyone would step back and read a few posts by certain people you can easily pick them out. Then make a conscious CHOICE (yes, you have a choice to post or not) not to respond to anything that very well may be negative. Eventually when the people see they can't pull the rest of us to their level they will go elsewhere or change their behavior.

This was in no way intended to insult anyone personally.

Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

>Then make a conscious CHOICE

:-) :-)

That takes a *huge* amount of effort.

I've been biting my tongue, sitting on my hands,
starting responses that I don't finish, having angry
conversations in my mind ...

I'm glad Sangiro stepped in. I wish he didn't have
to, but I'm glad he did.

I was actully mulling a post called
Dropzone.com as Collateral Damage.

The world is at war, Iraq has the media attention,
but ideologies are clashing all over the planet,
and America is extremely divided internally.

I first saw dropzone.com as an effort by Sangiro to
create community and connection, and we need that
now more than ever.

Skr

The world is at war, Iraq has the media attention, but ideologies are clashing all over the planet, and America is extremely divided internally.

I first saw dropzone.com as an effort by Sangiro to
create community and connection, and we need that
now more than ever.

Very well said, as was the rest of your post.