AggieDave

Women chooses .357 over Shotgun

This is a great story about an elderly women defending herself. The humorous side is the line about why she used a .357 Magnum instead of her shotgun.

Clicky for Story

Woman shoots burglar in leg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click for larger image

Timothy Doyle Huitt is in intensive care at SRMC.

By Susan Orr
Staff Writer
[email protected]

DUNCAN -- Margaret Summey credits God -- and her .357 Magnum -- with protecting her from a burglar Thursday.

Police say Summey, a 64-year-old widow, shot 43-year-old Timothy Doyle Huitt after he broke into her McGill Drive home. After being shot, Huitt fled through Summey's yard, leaving a trail of blood that led from her home to nearby Berry Shoals Road, where he collapsed.

"I did what I had to do. That's what the police told me. I protected myself," Summey said.

This is what happened, according to Summey's account and the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office report:

Just before 1 p.m., someone rang Summey's doorbell but she didn't answer it. Then, she heard someone jiggling the back door. Then, someone was moving the trash can behind her house.

"I went straight and got the .357 Magnum," she said.

"I would have used a shotgun, but I had just had new countertops done and I didn't want to tear up the kitchen."

As it turns out, someone had moved the trash can under a bedroom window, used a brick to smash the glass and crawled through the window.

Armed with the gun, Summey went from the lower part of her house up some stairs and down a utility room hallway, where beyond a locked door was her kitchen. Through the gap under the door, Summey could see shadows indicating that someone was in the kitchen.

She waited until she saw a shadow, then shot through the door, hitting Huitt in the leg.

She then heard Huitt cry out, so she guessed she had shot him. Keeping the door closed, she then called 911 and told them what had happened.

Meanwhile, Huitt was running through Summey's yard in an effort to get to Brown's Bait and Tackle on Berry's Pond where his car was parked.

The shop's owner, Rhett Brown, said he didn't know anything had happened until a woman came in saying she was driving by and saw a man lying by the side of the road.

Brown said he went out of the store to see Huitt, whom he recognized because the man had come to his store just a few minutes earlier. Huitt had driven off then, but when Brown went outside he noticed Huitt's car was back in his parking lot.

When Brown went out to see Huitt by the side of the road, the man was in bad shape.

"He was a mess. He looked like he was hit by a car, the way he looked," Brown said.

Huitt was taken to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, where he was in the intensive care unit Thursday evening.

A family member reached there would not comment.

The Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office has not charged Huitt in connection with the break-in, but charges are pending once he recovers, said Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Ron Gahagan.

No charges will be filed against Summey, Gahagan said, since she was defending herself on her property.

"What she did is within the allowable limits of the constitution of the state of South Carolina," he said.

"If you feel threatened and you are inside your house, you may defend yourself up to and including the use of deadly force."

Summey, who learned marksmanship from her first husband, a hunter, said her religious faith helped her remain calm during the break-in.

"I was just praying to God. I knew he'd take care of me," she said.

She usually watches after her great-granddaughter, but today the infant was not with her, for which Summey was thankful.

Hours after the shooting Summey remained calm and reaffirmed her belief that she'd done the right thing.

"There is some remorse in my heart, but I was facing death on the other side of a two-inch door," she said.

"I had to stop him."

Summey's twin brother, Edwin Johnson, said his sister has always been able to take care of herself.

"She was raised up with three brothers. Dadgum right she had to be tough," he said.

Huitt, of 243 Snow Mill Road in Woodruff, also faces charges in Cherokee County.

He was charged with strong-arm robbery in connection with an incident at Lindley's convenience store Thursday morning. The clerk there said Huitt threatened to harm her if she did not give him money.

Huitt has also faced similar charges in the past.

In 2002, Huitt was charged with armed robbery and strong-arm robbery in connection with two separate crimes.

Staff Writer Lynne Powell contributed to this story.

Susan Orr can be reached at 877-3225 or [email protected].

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Only a woman would have the wherewithal to consider the practicality of saving her counters before trying to blow a guy away...

Guys (who have a gun and/or would use a gun in that situation)- would it even have occurred to you to protect your kitchen, or would you have said, "Fuck it," and gone for maximum damage?

Good stuff...

Actually, she shot through a door, hit him AND didn't do any damage to her new countertops so I'd say her aim was very good.

Now, admit it, a guy would have grabbed the shotgun, blasted through the door, obliterated the door and new countertops just to go for maximum damage.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Now, admit it, a guy would have grabbed the shotgun, blasted through the door, obliterated the door and new countertops just to go for maximum damage.

Well...yeah! :S Why not?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I wouldn't have cared about the counters...but I wouldn't have shot through a closed door. That's a little irresponsible.

How so? She had every reason to believe her life was in danger- with the door shut, she had the advantage. Plus, she obviously aimed low to maim, not kill...

How so? She had every reason to believe her life was in danger- with the door shut, she had the advantage.

Some of us have some fairly extensive training for room clearing/house clearing for being civilians...I would gone through a house clearing sequence instead of shooting through a door. You never know what else is beyond that door.

True, she didn't know what else may have been behind the door, but to hit him in the legs, one must wonder if she was kneeling.

Also, since not everyone has training for room clearing/house clearing, I give her 2 thumbs up for having the guts and courage to do something about an individual breaking into her house. Personally, I would have aimed a bit higher, but that might have damaged the countertops. :D

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Dadgum right she had to be tough

I didn't know any still said dadgum. I think I'll try to bring this one back by using it nefariously around the dropzone.

"Dadgum, get outta de plane!"
"I'm tryin' to pack 'ere, dadgumit"
"Dadgum parachute jus' 'bout broke my dadgum keester"
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I'm with you on this one- she's got guts, and she did a good job.

I totally see your point, AggieDave, but given that she's a 64-yr. old lady, and not Tackleberry, I doubt she could've hustled enough to complete a sweep before that guy made his way out of the kitchen...

;)

How so? She had every reason to believe her life was in danger- with the door shut, she had the advantage. Plus, she obviously aimed low to maim, not kill...

It could have been a cop on the other side who got a report that someone was sneaking around her house.

Cop gets call, finds trash can by broken window...knocks on door, noone answers...goes to check it out. Or it could have been some stupid kid who's baseball went through the window.

Cop gets call, finds trash can by broken window...knocks on door, noone answers...goes to check it out. Or it could have been some stupid kid who's baseball went through the window.

Oh yeah. Good point. B|

Good thing it WAS a bad guy...

'Course, don't police have a protocol for handling things like that? Like, loudly identifying themselves? I could see a kid trying to be sneaky though... [:/]

and not Tackleberry

I'm sorry, I almost fell out of my chair laughing...

I was called Tackleberry while I was in the Corps of Cadets. B|

BWAHAHahahahahaha!!!! LMAO!!!! OMG- that picture of you (boot dance?) DOES bear a slight resemblance...

:D

that picture of you (boot dance?) DOES bear a slight resemblance...

Yeah, scarey huh? I've always thought it was funny, I laugh my ass off watching Police Academy b/c of it. B|

Good times...

In high school, during the peak of 90210's popularity, people told me I looked just like Andrea (Gabrielle Carteras- sp?) I had permed hair pulled up on the sides, with the bangs in the front, and glasses over blue eyes. It always annoyed me, because I wasn't THAT much of a nerd... ;)

Well, maybe... :|

Am I not the only one who noticed the order of chain of events? She had time to realize what was going on, choose her weapon so as 'not to damage her counter tops,' lie in waiting for the guy, wait for a good shot, finally shoot the guy, and take the time to make sure he was hit, but she didn't have time to call 911 until after? I'm not saying she didn't have the right to protect her self. I'm saying she couldn't have been too scared to wait until after it was over to call for help.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I took my daughter out pistol shooting last night. I tried to find some 38 special loads to put in it, to lessen the recoil. Since I couldn't find any she ended up shooting full power loads in 357. She's barely five foot tall, but she did a great job of shooting it. It jumps a lot, and makes a lot of noise, but it's sure an accurate pistol. (It's a S&W revolver with 6 inch barrel) For long shots I'd choose it anyday over an automatic. But for close in self defense scenarios the automatic would probably be a better weapon as long as you were carrying a round in the chamber. It takes to long to chamber one up, and then start shooting. Taking it off safey might also slow getting off the first shot with an automatic, unless you have a Glock. I love talking about guns almost as much as BSing about skydiving. I guess I'm way off the subject again.....Steve1