quade

Private Space Capsule Testing at Red Lake, AZ -- Press Clips

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200national/page.cfm?objectid=12805481&method=full&siteid=50081

Anybody ever jump at Red Lake? I've never heard of it.

Space fanatic unveils rocket he wants to fly into orbit Apr 3 2003

A man hoping to become the first amateur to fly in space in a privately developed craft has unveiled his new rocket capsule.

Steve Bennett, 39, has been building and launching rockets for more than a decade in a bid to become the first man to pilot a privately developed spacecraft into space and back.

His Starchaser firm has unveiled the single seater Nova II capsule, which is being readied for shipment to the US, where it is to be fitted with a parachute system.

The manned capsule is to be dropped from a C-123K transport aircraft at an altitude of 14,000 feet over the Red Lake Drop Zone, Arizona, to practice landing the reusable craft.

Mr Bennett of Duckinfield, near Hyde, Greater Manchester, said he hoped it would take place in May and said he "cannot wait".

He said: "I used to be scared of heights but after skydiving I got out of that. I am just looking forward to the next buzz. I have dreamed about flying in one of these rockets since I was five or six years old, since I saw the Americans walk on the moon. I think about it every single day."

Seated in the tiny one-seater rocket capsule at the Village Hotel in Hyde, Greater Manchester, Mr Bennett said space travel was going to be a "normal every day" occurrence.

He said: "Ten years from now we will all be saving up for trips aboard space vehicles."

Mr Bennett's company has so far spent around £2 million on research and development. He estimates he needs a further £2 million to fulfil his dream.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

-----------------------------
Anybody ever jump at Red Lake? I've never heard of it.
-----------------------------

red lake isn't really a 'dropzone'. its the name of the dry lake bed in kingman, az...the same place where they dropped that giant rubber band ball out of the skyvan. companies use it for drop testing all the time, cause the C123 is based out of the airport there.

No need for spy photos out there. Its a dry lake about 8 miles across. Its divided up by a couple of barbed wire fences and thats about it. I was out there in the late 80's and there is a reason why they drop stuff out of planes there. Nothing around for miles and flat as a table top.
---------------------------------------------

Randy