JohnnyD

Disturbing news story

That is very disturbing [:/][:/][:/][:/][:/] It breaks my heart that this goes on in todays day and age... unbelievable....as the mother of a biracial child I"m wondering which Prom would she be allowed to attend? Would her "dual status" get her into both events???? This shit pisses me off.>:( We are all humans....and are those the only two races at the school? No Asians or Latinos? Seperate proms as well??? :(:(:(:(>:(:(

"Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating."

Eh? wtf?

I hope they organise the hall, get the band, etc, then nobody turns up!>:(>:(>:(

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Well, they have all black colleges why cant we have all white colleges.
I am hispanic geuss I will have to start an all hispanic college.
I don't have a problem with people wanting to be seperate from others, as long as they dont bother me. I never went to my junior or senior prom.

Aha a return to savagery. Next up: how bout segregated bathrooms? Lynch a few of them "uppity" colored people? A good old fashioned cross-burning? How disgusting. Shit like that makes me embarrassed to be a white man. I have friends in all colors including the skin tone range "black". I've had a running joke with a mechanic at work, black man, teases me about skydiving being a crazy white man's sport. (he's never seen a black man skydive) I tell him nope, they do, got it on video, black men CAN jump. Come on out and jump with us someday. I'm trying to imagine partying with this guy somewhere and being told "he can't come in here". Would that be an occasion for justifiable homicide? Who the fuck are the small minded self righteous little nazis responsible for this? Probably a bunch of overreligious pasty white superconservative southerners who look like they just escaped an episode of "leave it to beaver" and think black folks should "know their place" like god intended.
This is why I'm glad I live in the northeast u.s... up here anyway there's no tolerance for a mindset like that. None. Grrrrr
God that shit pisses me off. Who the fuck do they think they are? God's chosen? Fucking appalling. Mental note: avoid Georgia. I have long hair. I suppose to them that makes me a long hair hippy should be run out of town cause "we don't need your kind here" huh?
please excuse the rant, in this case I feel it is entirely justified. Anyone else agree?
end rant
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Oh well...it's the South, nothing surprises me. :|

A little history for ya. I am really old, so I happened to live through all this. I was going into 9th grade in Florida when desegregation hit the South. It was not fun. Fights every day. Riots, 200 kids throwing chairs about once a week.

The voting rights act was supposed to be applied to 9 Southern states. The college kids who came to the South were generally Jewish and black. The locals viewed it as an attack on Christianity also.

Here is the fun part. Someone said "hey, let's do this everywhere." :o Uh-oh! Suddenly, our non-racist northern brethren had to do it too. In the South, bussing took place in 1969. In Boston, a plan for integration and bussing became a political football and stayed in the courts for over 20 years.

I find it interesting that Louis Farrakan can openly make racist remarks about Jews, but it never makes the news. Then, one Southern hs prom paints all Southerners as racists. In fact, the KKK had a larger membership in the North during the 40's and 50's than the South.

Tell your black friend that though there are only a few of us now we will never "take over" the sport of skydiving if he continues to have that attitude.
;):D:D;)

S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I find it interesting that Louis Farrakan can openly make racist remarks about Jews, but it never makes the news.

True, and to be honest with you, that bothers me, if a racist remark is made IT SHOULD BE EQUALLY NOTED, not only when whites makes them, I'm not going to get too deep in this issue because I might get the 'BIGOT' or 'RACIST' label and what is even worse, I'll get a 'racist slur' from the other party but I'll have to keep my mouth shut, is just not fair.

PERIOD. >:(

I'll do that.B|
Unfortunately this guy is also a whuffo, but a good one. He sees it as something incredible he'd never ever dare do and die of a heart attack if he tried. Can't believe he works with someone who DOES that. Loves the idea but you know whuffos...he sees it as impossible dream kinda thing, fear of heights. I tell him just come on out, give it a try, you might become an addict like me....
He's cool people. maybe someday.....

I find it interesting that Louis Farrakan can openly make racist remarks about Jews, but it never makes the news.

Agreed.

You don't have to follow his life very long to see that he has always had a bit of an agenda and his actions were not always in the bests interests of unity, even after the "Black Muslim era" Definitely an interesting character.
S.E.X. party #2

Agreed. Living in the philippines at school once there was this asshole name of Tino. 100% filipino and totally racist against anything NOT filipino he somehow got the idea that he was a neo-nazi, ran around wearing a swastika. (LMAO) Watching TV in the dorm one day, a couple black dancers on the screen, this guy starts going "fucking niggers on tv what the fuck"
I said what the hell is up with that?
He replied "shut the fuck up, fucking white boy."
(This took balls)
In a room full of filipinos I said "shut the fuck up with the racist shit, FUCKING BROWN BOY."
Turned it right around and hit him with it.
He came up out of his chair like shot from a cannon and started for me. I jumped to my feet, got ready to fuck him up. (wanna physically attack me for refusing to accept that shit? bring it, asshole.)
The rest of the filipinos in the room grabbed him and slammed him back in his chair before he got 4 feet away. Apparently I wasnt the only one sick of his bullshit. There IS hope for the species.

Due to some major miscommunication from a piss-poor principal, my high school had two proms (school sponsored and "minority" prom) my senior year back in 1991 on the south side of Chicago. It was really terrible how bad the situation declined for a while, esp with the media making it the leading news story for a few weeks. We had race fights in the hallways like crazy. It was a situation that a person with decent communication skills could have resolved upfront - but once the damage was done, there was too much resentment and anger. It nearly ruined the last two months of high-school. Both proms were on the same night and by that point most of the students were tired of the fights and racism - a dencent amount of students went to both.

The next week in school, the seniors took in into their hands to resolve the tension by having one huge water ballon fight in and out of the school. Surprisingly enough - that helped reunite everyone.

I with you here.... SAD yes, but in the south... this goes on with some regularity. Things that happen North of FLA and south of D.C rearely surprize me.

What people don't realize though is there is still segragation in South Boston. Most of it is by choice though...

What a can of worms this could be...

True, and to be honest with you, that bothers me, if a racist remark is made IT SHOULD BE EQUALLY NOTED, not only when whites makes them,

Agreed. And maybe it is noted but people are afraid to say anything. The society that deals with that properly is the one that doesn't need affirmative action, quotas for hiring women, and pays women equally. It will come... just not as quickly as you and I would like.

I'll have to keep my mouth shut, is just not fair.

I am a firm believer in not "having" to do anything. If you get a racist slur, and it is in your heart to do so, then by all means do what you need to do to defend yourself. But you have to ask if you really want to go down that road and lower yourself to the level that it will go to.

For myself that is never an easy question. Because though I am a peaceful person per se. There is so much anger that is stirred inside of me when the slurs come out...

At the end of the day we should all just skydive and forget the BS.:)

I am a firm believer in not "having" to do anything. If you get a racist slur, and it is in your heart to do so, then by all means do what you need to do to defend yourself. But you have to ask if you really want to go down that road and lower yourself to the level that it will go to.

Oh yeah, I defend myself if I find myself in that situation, however, I do it depending on what 'kind' of person I'm dealing with, if he/she is someone 'misinformed', then I open my mouth, but if he/she is just a 'moron' who believes in 'whoever is not like me I hate'em' then I just turn around and walk away.

Lurch, your posting is undoubtedly the most prejudiced I've read on this board. I am a Christian White Southerner and am so sick of the stereotypes you embrace it's not even funny. Furthermore, I 'm a Catholic Republican(quasi-libertarian) White Southerner which means I don't judge anyone by their race for any reason nor do I support any program which does. This article, by the way, really ticks me off, but not nearly so much as your bigotted posting.

If you'd actually spent some time in the Southeastern US you would realize that the Flaggots (a term we use to refer to those who want the Stars and Bars on the GA State flag) and racists such as the ones in the article of contention are actually in the minority.

Your remarks are indicative of a subtle prejudice against Southerners that runs throughout the nation and is utterly sickening. A prominent political activist recently stated "If you're a white male from the South you are probably a racist" and not one single politician from the northeast or elsewhere -that I know of - publicly condemned the SOB (it was none other than the president of the NAACP who said this, by the way). What a racially prejudiced bigot.

Instead of blasting the South with your lies based on second hand reports and your own stereotypes, try going down there and spending some time. Go into Appalachia - where I'm from - and do some volunteer work. It might open your eyes to the fact that poverty, kindness, hatred, racism, and love know neither racial nor ethnic boundaries.

As far as the Northeast having no tolerance for that mindset, I suggest you read the news on occasion. Jesse Jackson has spit in people's food because of their color and frequently receives rounds of applause up there. $harpton, Farrakhan, and other racists also count on the Northeast as a bastion of political support. The most prominent Senator from the Northeast - Ted 'The Bottle' Kennedy - would be lying if he stated that he doesn't judge anyone by their race for any reason nor supports any program that does, as would Senator Kerry. Compare that with the attitude of most Southerners on racism and you'll find your elected leaders from the Northeast are on the moral low ground.

Talk about a low tolerance for scum - how is Karen Kopechne these days?

The content of your own posting is a testament to the prejudice and stereotyping you claim to be against. I've lived all over this country and travelled extensively overseas as well. It's my observation that most Americans don't give a damn what race or religion anyone is, regardless of what portion of the country they are from. Travel around and grow up.

The Anvil
:|

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The last reply you ever expected to get from me:
You know you're right. I stand corrected. The original news article pissed me off and I reverted to my own stereotypes of the people involved.
I do not know what "lies" you refer to....if it is lack of tolerance for racism, well, _I_ have none nor does anyone I associate with to my knowledge. I know it exists up here as well as elsewhere, however I regard people like that as irrelevant. At least publicly, reintroducing segregation here would be cause for an outraged media noise like you wouldn't believe.
Honestly? I aim to hit up dz's nationwide with time including several down south, where I've never been, because I have friends who've moved down there.
I eat my words.

Things in this world would be very different if we all behaved like TheAnvil and Lurch, I mean, having a discussion or debate are treat it as 'civilized' people.