JJohnson

People that should not be allowed to drive

uh maybe you shoulda moved to the right lane as he was approaching before his license plate vanished under your trunk

Ah, yes I do, but not all highways are 4 lane you see. I drive the same 2 lane highway quite often. If the shoulders weren't gravel I'd still consider moving though :)

You know, I don't mind if cars are that close to me (if I'm unable to move out of their way) because my hitch is right about at their chest level when sitting in a car.

Ha! I like that. Wonder how a hitch like that would look on my Grand Prix.... hmmmmmm.

Factoid of the day -

90% of drivers think they're better than average drivers.

In our local newspapper here just the other day, (wednesday) there was a report on our drivers that has been collected over 3 years and the facts were very interesting.

It concluded that every single age grounp here in Manitoba would fail their drivers test if they had to take the test this very day. Even more surprising was that the best group of them all, 70+ males were found to be the best drivers in the bunch. Although these men would have failed as well they were ahead of the pack by a fair margin.

To make things worse, this study was done to disprove that we as a province have rude and rageful drivers. When all the numbers were taken in here is a short list of things that were found.

>People in manitoba have a higher than average rate of motor accidents involving alcohol as well as:

Changing lanes with no signal
Speeding
Rolling through stop signs
beating the amber light
turning where not appropriate
parking illegally
not able to parallel park

The list is a little longer but you get the idea.
It should also be noted that although the local police were not included in the survey they were tested and didn't fair any better than the average citizen.

P.S. I fall into that stat :(

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

Don't forget the folks who don't understand that turn signals are to let others know what you're going to do, and not what you've just begun.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

I get pissed off at the drivers who try to merge onto the highway at 30 mph.....hello....use that entrance ramp to gain some speed, people!!!!!!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Pete if this study was done by Our city I am sure that the facts are skewed. But for those of you that don't know our "fair" city I eill give you some reasoning for this.

For starters:

Even more surprising was that the best group of them all, 70+ males were found to be the best drivers in the bunch

This Data was probably collected from our provincial insurance provider. Yes we have public insurance here which means we all get screwed by the same insurance provider. People are always saying here that old folks cause and are in a lot of acidents but MPI is always saying not, as in this study. A while back someone did an independant study and determined that over half of the accidents that older folks were in were never reported. Most of these folks that are driving the big cars that are far too big for them have enough money that when they do get into an accident they pay for the damage to their car as well as the "victims" car without ever having it reported. So as a result The figures that MPI have do not reflect reality.

People in manitoba have a higher than average rate of motor accidents involving alcohol as well as:

Speeding

In places here the speed limits are stupid! They build major corridors through semi residential areas and then make people slow down by slapping a 50 (KM) max sign up. People want to continue to drive at speed so that they don't have to slow down every 5 minutes and they can feel like they get somewhere.

beating the amber light

This is rampant here cause the timing on many of the lights here is terrible. I have been at intersections where the timing is so bad that maybe 2 cars will get through a turn at rush hour where there are like 30 cars waiting to turn. I actually heard an interview once with the city engineer responsible for the light timing and he basically said: The city is built like crap roadwise and we know we screw people over at the lights but someone has to get screwed.

turning where not appropriate

This is perpetuated once again by the fact that in many places in this city you need to make that one appropriate turn or else you are screwed for blocks. I don't mean on the highway where you have to travel to the next exit and come back I mean on a regular road. With all the other crappy driving conditions who would want to travel all the way down the street to turn legally where there is a perfectly good turning place nearby that you feel you can execute a safe turn.

Of course when you do the cops show up...

not saying I advocate just saying that I understand. And in case you haven't figured this out I haven't always lived here.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

This Data was probably collected from our provincial insurance provider.

I was thinking the same thing myself until I saw that the stats were collected by the U of M. Still, it's very possible that they may ahve been doing the study on behalf of MPI.

Most of these folks that are driving the big cars that are far too big for them have enough money that when they do get into an accident they pay for the damage to their car as well as the "victims" car without ever having it reported. So as a result The figures that MPI have do not reflect reality.

Very True again, however this study wasn't done by harvesting MPI's database to see what accidents were filed vs how many accidents took place, it was done using cars equiped with monitoring equipment. In this study they gave cars to selcted individuals and just asked them to go about their normal routine for a said amount of time. Through the use of this equipment they were able to track the points I mentioned earlier.

In places here the speed limits are stupid.

I completly agree. You may or may not be reffering to roblin, where the limit is always shifting from 50- 60 which is a pain in the ass for the amount of traffic that has to flow down that street during peak times, this has been a speed trap for me many a time and it drive me crazy when I am just keeping up with traffic.

As to the meeting on traffic lights, I agree once again and belive that I was at that meeting a few years back. City counsil meetings are sometimes open to the public while they are debating and some friends and I thougt it would be an intriguing way to get some insight as to what our tax dollars are going to.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

3) Barbie Doll.....
You have all seen this chick. All five mirrors on the car (both side views, rear view and both sunvisor mirrors) are facing her. She even has custom lighting installed in the car to simulate whatever conditions that have at her work. She's got the mascara brush going a mile a minute, the lipstick painting away in the other hand......

Hey, were you behind me on the freeway today? I resemble that remark....

anytime your being passed on the right side you really should get whacked with the clue stick.

Wait...there is an exception, and it always seems like this happens to me in New York City. If you are on a highway with three lanes in each direction, and you are cruising along in the middle lane, I can't stand it when a driver will come up behind you in the middle lane, and then cruise over to the right lane and pass you there when there is absolutely no traffic in the left lane.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

That is like my raison d'etre - to pass people on the right. ;) If I can still see the bottom of your tires on the freeway, I ain't tailgating. And, if I ain't getting 4 wheel drift through a turn, I ain't going fast enough.
I AM one of those assholes everyone complains about :)
I was told I drive like a combination of an angry F.I.B. and a European F1 driver wanna-be.
:)

Why thank you Becky! I'm not usually the most photogenic person, but I managed to find a whole 2 pics that don't make me look tooooo terrible. Sunny said she liked the other one. Maybe I'll start changing them around like she does....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Figures. I lost the other one. Now I gotta dig out another bleached pic from somewhere, crop and resize. I'll do it tomorrow!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

You missed ME. The semihomicidal psychotic behind the wheel of something so beat up and so fast you can't even tell what color it used to be. Sarcastic exaggerated satirical rant follows:

I cannot stand those who are too afraid to even drive the speed limit. If you're 96.5 years old, your reflexes and response time can be measured in minutes, you've forgotten what a turn signal is, you can't see over your own steering wheel and you're too timid to drive over 45 mph on the interstate? Get your folded ass the FUCK off my highway and go play some bingo!!! Same goes for glamour girl chitchatting on a cellphone while painting her face. Put the mascara down, lady you're an oblivious missile and if you keep cutting me off I'll make you a famous fashion victim! The world will not end if you show up for work without makeup! You have mirrors at home! Use em!
My favorite situation on the highway: when you have some speed demon with some sense who does a steady 85-95 mph in the fast lane, smoothly, and has a line of cars behind him including me so long the cops are rendered helpless to stop us all...civil disobedience at its finest. The 8 or 10-lane highway was designed with so much overengineering in most places we could all do a steady 120 without pushing the performance or safety envelope of your average hyundai. In my area the cops just started a heavy enforcement effort on the main artery for this state in the most heavily used sections. Every time I drive by they're preying on some poor soul who hasn't yet grasped that suddenly 85 mph will get you nailed to a wall here. Congratulations boys, you just jacked up everyone's commute time by 20 minutes and created the most massive safety hazard by doing this. Now we have high speed demon types slamming on their brakes trying to avoid being the next victim and the highway section in question has gone from high speed smoothness to erratic and slow unpredictability because the regular commuters are afraid they're next. Try the enforcement method I observed in california. When they're all going 99 mph, leave them alone! When they're all going 85 and some yahoo goes by at 115, just bag HIM! And try bagging a few of the 51 mph in the fast lane people. The most dangerous thing I see on the highway by far is the obstinate old guy enjoying the fact that he's blocking the highway and forcing all those young whippersnappers behind him to drive at what "he" thinks is the safe and proper speed. Usually when I'm closing on one of them I nail him with all 480 watts worth of aux lighting on my ride long before I reach him and maintain a scary closing speed. Get the FUCK out of my way or BE RAMMED! You will drive at the same speed as everyone else or you will get off the road. My ancient ugly ride has heavy intimidating looking impact armor up front and enough lighting to peel paint off a wall at 200 yards. Usually when they see the glare closing fast in their rearview they get one look at that scary frontend coming for them and vacate my lane in a hurry. Very pleasing effect I might add. If they do not, I settle right down a safe distance behind them, dim the lights and wait patiently for them to get the idea or an opportunity to get around them. This tactic usually results in a prompt lane change by my victim. End satirical rant
-Doing my best to be the most dangerous thing on the highway since 1996.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

If Dennis Miller needs a stand in you should apply.

I'll also submit a new invention:
TRAINING WHEELS FOR SUV's

In the yuppie infested suburbs around Chicago we seem to have an overwhelming amount of soccer moms. Their preffered ride is either a green mini-van or more often an SUV that would make Aggie Dave green with envy.
These women obviously have discovered the female penis envy thing here. That or they need these monster fucking trucks to get out of their driveways in the winter to haul all 18 of their rugrats to indoor T-ball and get all 30 tons of sugar coated mini-nukes and fish sticks home from the local food emporium.
What I find amusing about these modern Panzer drivers is:
a) Despite weather conditions they think 4 wheel drive enables you to stop on dime.

b) Allows someone behind you to do the same.

c) Although they know how to haul ass, tailgates, and slam on the hooks...they have not gotten the hand of turning. They seem to come to complete stops for fear of rolling their precious urban chariot over.
Hence the need for training wheels on SUV's.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Hee! Hee!
Sometimes speed limits provide you with an opportunity to f*** over the cops.
For example, many years ago a cop saw me pull out of my favorite bar in the Hamptons and drive all the way back to Skydive Long Island. By the end of the 40 minute drive he was furious that I had obeyed all stop signs and yield signs and driven the exact speed limit in all dozen different speed zones through the four (or more I lost count) towns along the way!
The bottom line is that we both knew I was three sheets to the wind, but I never gave him an excuse to pull me over.
Hah! Hah!

That being said, I haven't touched a drop in the last seven years.