propilot

Front riser bucking, brake lines as long as adviseable

So I have a Sabre 2 150 loaded at 1.33

I had my brake lines lengthened as long as advisable (I can get the canopy to stall if I pull toggles down as far as possible).

Problem is I can only pull front risers down about 1 inch before canopy starts bucking (brake lines at this point are taught).

I'm thinking maybe a riser length issue? What am I missing?

I want to be able to play with front risers up high.

Thanks

Allen

I had my brake lines lengthened as long as advisable (I can get the canopy to stall if I pull toggles down as far as possible).

Making the canopy stall with out taking a wrap doesn't mean the control lines are adjusted correctly. Looking up at the tail of your canopy in full (neutral) flight, do the control lines bow back past the tail of the canopy 3-4"?

Adjusting control lines for front riser maneuvers is always a compromise. It is a compromise between getting a canopy to dive correctly with enough front riser input and still being able to fully control a canopy with the toggles. Being able to stall a canopy on the toggles at the full toggle stroke doesn't mean that they are adjusted correctly. In fact, I prefer to have my canopies setup where they don't stall unless I push past a full toggle stroke (by rolling my wrists or taking a wrap).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Definately in full flight (toggles unstowned, resting on rings,) there is at least 3-4'' of slack.

Its a used canopy. Seller said 150 jumps. I suspect many more.

I will check line trim.

By 3 4 inches of slack, do you mean you can pull down the toggles by 3 4 inches without deflecting the tail?
Remster

I had the same thing with my Sabre 150. Working with one of my local canopy pilots, I set up my brakes so there is a nice "arc" of brake line behind the tail of the parachute in full flight - as shown on the document above. That gives me about 2 or 3-inches of play in the upper part of the toggle pull before the canopy starts to deflect.

Then, with the front riser the canopy will not buck unless I have pulled down the riser more than I ever really want to :)
I did this because after a couple hundred jumps my brake lines were probably shortened a little, but still in good condition.

Then, go up high and practice all of your flares, brake turns, and other stuff some more.

It took a couple of adjustments before I got it the way I liked the feel.

My input here is to have someone work on it with you - observe your landings and be able to provide good feedback (like a canopy pilot or instructor).

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!