SpeedRacer

Hitler- Rise of Evil on CBS

Did anyone else see Hitler Rise of Evil on CBS Sunday night (starring Robert Carlyle)? I thought it was pretty fascinating. Really shows how Hitler was a brilliant orator, bold strategist, and whacko, hate-filled psycho all at the same time. Carlyle really goes all out, & even imitates all the theatric gestures that Hitler did when speaking.

A late friend of my father, Jim O'Donnell, wrote a book called the Bunker. Jim O'Donnell was the first American to enter the Bunker where Hitler died (bribed his way past the Russians with a pack of Camels). He was also the Berlin correspondent for the Saturday Evening Post during the Hitler years.

The Bunker was made into a movie of the same name starring Anthony Hopkins as Hitler. The Bunker covers the last few months, from January to May 1945 when Hitler lived in the Bunker & was cracking up because they were losing the war.

Hitler Rise of Evil shows the early life of hitler, right up to 1934 or so.

Any way, did anyone else see Hitler -Rise of Evil? What did you think? (second part is on Tuesday)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I caught it...was interesting, and a little scary. One man could exert his influence on a country like that.... Makes me scared of people like Tony Robbins (motivational speaker):D:ph34r:

Edit to say: And politions in general. Soemone once said those that desire to lead, shouldn't.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Didn't see it but if you like to read and want to experience an interesting perspective try reading the biographies of both Hitler and Churchill at the same time. (not sure of the authors off the top of my head, but an interesting read, nonetheless.)

I saw a show yesterday about Hitler's supposed use and abuse of amphetamines and that he probably had Parkinson's disease.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yeah, I saw it and was generally impressed. My wife made the point that both the Hitler and Goering characters were too skinny. And Goering wasn't the Propoganda Minister, Goebbels was. A role like the young Hitler has to be a real challenge to an up & coming actor like Robt Carlyle. You either do it really well, or you blow it, especially since you're playing the character everyone loves to hate. But I thought he was really intense, he coveyed what an intense nutjob Hitler was.

The parallels to the present are too scary, especially when you consider the like of John Ashcroft. Our Attny Gen'l is such a popular guy he actually lost a Senate race to a dead opponent, but now he's busy engineering secret detentions without charges or access to lawyers to almost anyone he deems to be dangerous. The Germans didn't follow Hitler so they could be psychotic mass murderes, they thought he would return them to the "basic values". The Nazi campaign slogan of 1932 was "Kinder, Kirche, Kuchen", children, church, and the kitchen. Let that be a lesson to us all.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yeah, I saw it and was generally impressed. My wife made the point that both the Hitler and Goering characters were too skinny.

Göring didn't pork out until later. He was fairly skinny during the late 20's/early 30s, but by 1934 he was starting to put it on. He was a drug addict too; a by-product of treatment for pain caused by injuries (back problems or war wounds - I can't recall which). He was a rabid anti-Semite, yet his wife was Jewish...I think old Hermann is a lot more interesting than Hitler, if for no other reason than his peculiar pathology. Too bad about Nuremburg - he would have been an interesting psychological case study, but the WCT was interested in justice (and revenge and deservedly so).
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."