Throttlebender

Wings or no wings for heavier videographer

I'm 6'1" and fluctuate between 190 and 200lbs. I noticed last season that I could get away with using my double layered freefly suit for about 75% of tandems but for those lighter pairs, I needed a wing jacket. I'd actually really prefer not to wear wings but will if it's the best practice overall. I do like the idea of wings so that I can sitfly with tandems but it's low on my list.
Anyway, how many of you are in the same boat and what's your gear of choice? Do you wear bigger suits or suits with fabric that produces more drag? And if you do wear a wing, which type?
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

Always use the right tool for the job!!!
A camera suit is much more than "floating tool", but unlike a baggy freefly suit - you have to know how to fly it!!! It might be dangerous in the wrong hands.
the bottom line:
I strongly recommend on a camera suit with wings, but talk with experienced videographer or S&T before jumping it with tandem.

Blue sky
Gilead

I'm slightly taller but after this winter I have dropped a few pounds so I am 180 with a goal closer to 170. I use wings on EVERY tandem jump. Why? I know I could get there and get the shot about 90% of the time in a tshirt and shorts but those other 10% of the time I need every tool in the tool box to get the shot. If you leave too early due to a messed up count and have a smaller TI and smaller passenger you will struggle to get up to them and might not ever with out wings. If you have a TI that shotguns the drogue the moment they hit the airstream I have always needed the wings to stay with them if I leave on my back. There have been very few times when I've videoed a tandem and wished I had left my wings on the ground and typically those I just flip into a sit and hang out with them that way. There have been many times back when I was starting that I thought I was too cool and was jumping in just a freefly suit or tshirt and ended up missing the shot since I sank out on the tandem. Once I figured out that the customers are paying around $100 for the video and its not about me but its about delivering the highest quality product for the customer that is possible I wised up and started using all the tools available to me on every jump.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, I've pretty much decided I need wings.
It's not cool factor for me but rather, I want simplicity and don't like feeling confined.
I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to wings.
Will you bring your jacket next time you come up?
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

If you like to sit fly, get the front attached wing. I can sit fly with almost anything in just my freefly suit, but I really don't like not using a camera suit for tandems . Videos are all about being a tripod and getting a good stable shot. The range and stability gain is well worth it.

If you're on your belly, its far easier to fly lower and look up with the wings. You simply can't do that if the fall rate is slow.

Watching shaky video is annoying, especially knowing it would be better with a simple wardrobe change.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As other have mentioned, wings are far more than a fall rate 'safety net' for when things get slow (although they are great to have when that does happen).

They offer you a level of power and mobility that you just can't match without them. You can position yourself faster around your subject and spend less time 'in transit'.

It does take a little getting used to, but it's a lot like driving a fast car. Once you have a feel for the controls, and really know what it can do, it's a ton of fun to blast around the sky. As much 'go' as the wings provide, they also have the same amount of 'stop'. You can close a gap at high speed and keep driving until you're 'scary' close, then sit up and throw out all the wing you have to stop on a dime (practice this a lot, and always aim off to the side in the case of an overshoot).

I jump a Flite Suit camera suit. I have the wing attached right along the side seam of the suit, so it flies the same on your belly or back (or sitting). I went with no booties because I'm not a fan, and I do spend a lot of time back flying, so I have a bloused leg with a velcro cuff (like a freefly suit).