J-Rock

Northern lite manual

This is a standard Northern Lite, I think its the very first model and has a 6 flap reserve system where the PC is packed between the first two flaps so the closing loops do not go through the free bag like they do on the Northern Lite III. Im assuming the manual would be from Paraphernalia not Northern Lite. Thanks for the leads though.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Hey, I just realized I have the scanned manual for a Northern Lite, 'sport piggyback', from Para-Phernalia.

But even that manual shows the two reserve loops going through the freebag, side to side. It is an early manual as it is mainly about rounds, with added Supplemental instructions for Swift reserves etc. Even for rounds, the pullup cords are shown coming from a double ended closing loop at the bottom of the pack tray.

So you're saying you have something even earlier?

I'll upload it to parachutemanuals.com in case anyone needs it.

It is easy to distinguish between Northern Lite I and Northern Lite III because the 'I has rounded corners on the reserve pin cover, while the 'III has square corners on its reserve pin cover.

Early Northern Lites should be packed like Strong Dual Hawk Tandem, with only short closing loops attached to the first flap (kicker plate).

If you are really good at PRO-packing, you can pack a Northern Lite III with the "ears" (of the reserve canopy) passing outboard of the through-loops. For bulk distribution, it helps if the "ears" are long enough to overlap across the top of the reserve container.

Rob, from your description that is exactly what I have. The freebag has no holes or grommets in the freebag. The first flap or "kicker flap" also has a shock cord loop that goes through the next flap which has three gommets... Ill look at the manual on Phree's site and see if its similar.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....