BBKid

Question for pilots - nowhere for this to go!

So, maybe this should be in GSD forum (greenies, feel free to move it), but I just want to know how all pilots out there got into flying.

I've always wanted to get a pilots license, hopefully moving onto helicopters, but I have no idea how to get started. I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible.

Cheers in advance!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

If you want to do it for fun, it is very easy. Just go to the local airport and check into a few flight schools. Learning to fly isn't all the different than learning to skydive. You show up, pay a lot of money and work with an Instructor. You spend some time flying with that instructor until he feels you are ready to solo (around 10-15 hours, but everyone is different).

After you solo for a bit, then you get back in with the instructor and do some cross country work. If all goes well you get your license between 40 and 60 hours of flight time.

Good Luck!

Well, it's probably not relevant to what you're asking, but it'll give you an idea of how diverse the reasons for flying can be, if nothing else ;).
I won a scholarship from the RAF. Each year they give away about 10 scholarships, to learn to fly, to disabled people in memory of Douglas Bader. I was one of the fortunate few to be taken to the States (Atlanta) for six weeks to learn to fly. The RAF gave us the bare minimum hours (when I did it, it was 40), but I was still lucky enough/had a good enough instructor, to get my FAA PPL. Unfortunately, flying in the UK is extremely expensive, especially since they upped the minimum hours to keep current and I have allowed my licence to lapse. But maybe when I marry a millionaire I'll take it up again :P
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

You can also open your local yellow pages and look under aircraft/airplanes/aviation Instruction. There should be a number of schools listed for flight instruction. Go to all of them and look at the operation. See what they give you as far as paperwork for learning to fly. Compare them all. Talk to the people there about why you want to learn to fly. What do you want to do with it? They will have a better idea on how to help you get the most out of your instruction.

Edited to add: DOH!!! You're in the UK. Nevermind. Do you all have yellow pages?
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I grw up on my Grandpa's airport outside of Granite City, Ill.

When I was a student, airplanes rented for C-150 $10 an hour, C-172 $14 and a Citabria was $12. Geez.....those were the days :)
Never got to realize my dream of flying an airliner for a living (like Chris!), but I do make my living as an aircraft mechanic and get to fly a friends C-182 for free (except gas).

Good luck and bring lots O money :D:D:D