MattM

My babies... (for us geeks)

nope... never heard of one of those.

Okay. "KVM" stands for Keyboard-Video-Mouse. Instead of having peripherals for all the systems, you hook them up to a box that lets you switch between them. I've got a 4-port at home, and it looks like you could use an 8-port.

I got mine off eBay cheap. Here is one that is on eBay now.

Be sure to get the electronic kind, and not the mechanically-switched variety.

edit to add URL.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

and the crem de la crem is a Sun Fire 15k. This puppy has 90
Ultrasparc III 1.2 GH CPU's (these being 64 bit processors, not the 32 bit intel toys). Thats right, 90 processors!

wow... imagine a beowulf cluster of those things....

*runs for cover*

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

*runs for cover*

:P:)

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10170702&hdwt=22033&loc=101

Something like that.

They let you run multiple computers with one keyboard monitor and mouse. (Keyboard, video, mouse=KVM).

You can actually daisy-chain them, so you can sit at one station and flip back and forth to up to like 64 boxes.

They save tons of space, and cost, even in a non-rackmount situation.

Saving space is not a concern to me. Its only 6 servers....

True, yet it's also convenient. One KVM to rule them all, and one KVM to bind them...:D

You *so* late! - hehehe :DB|

Does anyone know where I can get a KVM that will support PS2 on one box and USB on theother box? I have yet to find one that was mixed and that's what I need.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

True, yet it's also convenient. One KVM to rule them all, and one KVM to bind them...:D

I can see it's advantages if you need to save money and not buy a shit load of monitors if you have like 20 servers. Considering I have the space for just 6, its all good.

Matt

At home I have a Sun Enterprise250 and a Sun Netra X1 running solaris 9, 2 FreeBSD boxes on Dual Intel P-III platforms, 2 Redhat 9 systems on Dual Intel P-III.

At work I run 10 Sun 420R quad CPU servers and the crem de la crem is a Sun Fire 15k. This puppy has 90
Ultrasparc III 1.2 GH CPU's (these being 64 bit processors, not the 32 bit intel toys). Thats right, 90 processors!

Blahr, Folding. Folding, Blahr. Get to know each other! :)

*runs for cover*

:P:)

You could crunch a lot of seti@home blocks, compute the value of pi to a hundred million decimal places, run a dedicated quake server, and lots of other things that are of inestimable value to humanity!

Does anyone know where I can get a KVM that will support PS2 on one box and USB on theother box? I have yet to find one that was mixed and that's what I need.

Have you tried Belkin's website? It wouldn't surprise my if they've developed a hybrid PS2/USB KVM, given that KVMs are a big part of their business, and USB keyboards and mice are fairly common, though far from ubiquitous like the PS2 guys.

I can see it's advantages if you need to save money and not buy a shit load of monitors if you have like 20 servers. Considering I have the space for just 6, its all good.

You still don't get it, Grasshopper...quickly as you can, snatch the floppy disk from my hand...:D

It's all about slack. No need to move around from one keyboard or display to another. Just press the key combination , then the number of the box you want to see, and voila! Or, just push the button on the KVM.B|

In the case of many servers, the switches can be cascaded, so if you have an 8-port KVM, each of its eight ports can take an 8-port, for a total of 64, and so on.

Or you can aspire to ultimate slackdom. Using VNC, you don't even have to have a KVM. Just run the servers without anything other than power and network cables. Then they aren't even limited to cable distance. You can reach ultimate slackdom through the Internet. You can be in your server room, or in your house in your underwear. The servers don't care. :)

Nice to meet you folding. I'd be pleased to dedicate a few cycles from my home machines to the cause. Cant hook that Sunfire 15k up though. Not if I want to keep my job :-)

Understood. Contribute what you can, and welcome to the club! Just be sure to join the dz.com team by entering the team number (31515) during install. :)