TheRus

Fabulous but Failed Flicks

Springtime for Hitler!!!:D:D:D

I love it! I wish there was some way for me to get to see a production of "The Producers" :S

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

What about Outland? The one with Sean Connery as a cop on a mining station in space.B|

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

What about Outland? The one with Sean Connery as a cop on a mining station in space.B|

I wouldn't call Outland a classic, but it had some interesting moments. I liked Frances Sternhagen's role, but Hyams lacks the touch that helming an SF film calls for. His scripting and direction of "2010", "Capricorn One" and "Timecop" would make okay television, but in my opinion, he lacks the vision for SF on the big screen. Lots of writers and directors stay away from SF subjects because they're tough to do well. Hyams' picture "Hanover Street" was okay, but of course, it wasn't SF.

In the end, the only thing that matters is whether a picture makes money and if so, how much. That the money men in Hollyweird are willing to fund him says he's doing something right...:D
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Perhaps my favorite Mel Brooks movie of all time:

High Anxiety.

rent it, dammit! It's especially great if you've seen a lot of Hitchcock films. He does spoofs of specific things from Hitchcok films, plus he does all those weird camera angles, pans, etc. that Hitchcock always did.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Somewhere in Time

Saw this movie after Christopher Reeve's accident, and reading his engrossing book "Still Me". Kind of had me misty eyed throughout the whole movie because of this. (bad acting, though...)

ltdiver

Retraction to my post

I found "Somewhere in Time" in my archives this week and viewed it for the second time. First time was -years- ago.

Sometimes a movie needs a second go-though to understand the entire message and the past 4 years have taught me alot. A movie critic here in this NG has opened my eyes to the subtleties of fine acting and the birth of characters.

What seemed like halting amateurs trying to find their way is actually a softness of the inner soul searching for a rightness in all the madness of the world. And when that rightness is found an unwillingness to give it up, no matter what.

I understand this now....and by the end of this second viewing was actually shaking (physically). For somewhere in my past this all rang true. When you find something as precious, you fight with all your might and mind to not let it go.

Another one with awaking characters, and one of my favorite movies that many have not seen (and in my mind is a classic) is Shadowlands.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon