freeflyfrog

Diamonds are...

A girl's best friend.

Until you break off your engagement! :o

Anyone have any suggestions for a guy with an engagement ring that he wants to unload? (She was kind enough to return it). Would you do eBay? Or would a jeweler buy it? I don't want to pawn it... I don't think they'll give me what it is worth. It is GIA certified... a beautiful stone.

I sure could use the cash...

Hiya Frog,

Bummer about the news. {{{VIBES}}}

About three years ago I called off my engagement with my girlfriend at the time. We ended up making-up-breaking-up a few times and eventually broke it off for the last time. It was a bummer, but thank GOD I didn't marry her! :o
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

when pawning a ring, you will most likely get ripped off. i found a wedding ring in a bar about a couple of years ago and tried to pawn it off. they only said $50 for it. not a good deal. i say ebay or ask a jewler about it's value. you can't return it??

It was mutual...we're still friendly.

That's good to hear. Not so on this end.

But the story has a happy ending. I recently found out that she was just remarried and her last name is now "Gargamelli!" :D

Gargamelli?!? Like that dude Gargamel from the smurfs? YIKES!!

:ph34r:

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Maybe you could find a jeweler who will take it and sell it for you on consignment?

It would cost you 10-15% of what it sells for, but you should be able to negotiate a bottom price you will accept.

That could be a win-win-win solution; you get cash, he gets cash without laying out for inventory and someone gets a nice ring at a good price.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Good luck getting rid of it.I still have my engagement ring b/c I sure as hell wasnt giving it to him when he put the account in my name (for insurance purposes and b/c I had better credit) and I got stuck w/the rest of the pmts on it too when he left me.>:( So I've still got mine sitting in a box collecting dust as well.

You might get it appraised and see if a jeweler would want it or go the ebay route.Who knows? you might get lucky.If you cant get rid of it, keep the stone and have it reset into something else (a necklace maybe?) and give to someone as a gift.Or keep it.I hear diamonds are a good investment.*shrug*Sry,I'm just rambling.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

If you purchased from Blue Nile, contact them re: resale or credit. If they can't/don't deal with returns, ask for referrals for diamond brokers that they work with. If you have the GIA report, you can also look up the Rappaport sheet and find the current wholesale value of the stone.

Ebay is the last place I'd try to sell your stone, unless you go through Sothebys' Ebay store. Actually, a pawn shop is the LAST place I'd go. You'll get a fraction of the value. Chicago's a big city - you should be able to find a diamond dealer without too much effort. Just go knowledgeable.

Good luck getting rid of it.I still have my engagement ring b/c I sure as hell wasnt giving it to him when he put the account in my name (for insurance purposes and b/c I had better credit) and I got stuck w/the rest of the pmts on it too when he left me. So I've still got mine sitting in a box collecting dust as well.

Wait - he made you buy your engagement ring? Did he break off the engagement?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

eBay is the cleanest way to go. check out this address for a view on selling your rock on eBay. remember to be very descriptive and provide detailed close-up pics. and be sure to set a 'reserve' price to protect yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2644216875&category=42966&rd=1

If you're good at haggling...The diamond district in NYC is the best place to get back everything you paid for it..sometimes you can get more (almost the appraised value)...I know a few people who did that with great success.

*sigh* I hate this story. He put it my name for insurance purposes b/c I have better credit. He was paying for it..until he left me.Then I got stuck with paying it off since it was in my name.Yes,I'm a fool and I've learned not to trust anyone now thanks to him.Now with the last guy I was involved with, I learned not to care about anyone either.So I guess I'm just jaded.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."