johnmatrix

Corrosion on packing tools

I've just noticed there is some sort of corrosion, or at least some sort of mold-like residue that is not immediately removable, on the Cypres loop finger trapping tool I have.

Is it unsafe? (I don't want to use it anyway - I don't like using corroded things)
What can get rid of it? (am having some success with a kitchen scouring pad)
What can prevent it? (I've been told light sewing machine oil is OK to apply to packing tools)

Any other advice for storing or maintaining packing tools?

The tool in question was sitting on my desk for about 2 weeks before I noticed the residue on it. It is possible it may have contacted water during that time.

Warning: I'm not a rigger.

I sometimes have a similar issue with old rifles, brass cartridge cases, or ammo reloading tools. The solution there is 000 steel wool, which is great for polishing out minor corrosion. However, you want to do the polishing away from the thing you're working on, as tiny fibers of metal from the pad can break off and sprinkle downward, and then when they get moist, they rust. So you don't want those fibers getting on any parachutes or hardware. You can get the steel wool at a hardware store.

The most effective tool I've found is the wire tool. I keep to sizes, one for dacron and one for spectra/cypres loop. The wire to make them can be found here in hobby stores and is used for RC stuff. Don't remember the thickness 0.025 and 0.033 or something like that.

So for less than a dollar you can make a new one. If it gets corroded through it away. IF this is the kind of tool you have is not worth trying to clean.

DO NOT oil your tools. The idea is to keep oil away from parachutes. Instead of on your desk but them in a tool box or case. These aren't in the weather and shouldn't need the protection of oil.

If you do want to try to clean it I use a green scrub pad (scotch brite here). No fibers from steel wool to worry about.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The most effective tool I've found is the wire tool. I keep to sizes, one for dacron and one for spectra/cypres loop. The wire to make them can be found here in hobby stores and is used for RC stuff. Don't remember the thickness 0.025 and 0.033 or something like that.

So for less than a dollar you can make a new one. If it gets corroded through it away. IF this is the kind of tool you have is not worth trying to clean.

DO NOT oil your tools. The idea is to keep oil away from parachutes. Instead of on your desk but them in a tool box or case. These aren't in the weather and shouldn't need the protection of oil.

If you do want to try to clean it I use a green scrub pad (scotch brite here). No fibers from steel wool to worry about.

Take care to keep the corrosion product, that is being removed by the pad, away from the gear. It is an abrasive material that can get worked into fabrics and damage them from the inside.
The safety wire used on aircraft is usually stainless steel between .025 anf .032 inch dia and makes a great finger trap tool.
The shiny side goes UP
Butler

Yeah that's what I was using, seemed to work OK.

Thanks for all the responses! I will have a look for some suitable wire to use as a replacement.
I'm just surprised at how quickly it happened. I've only had this tool for about 3 months - it's the finger trapping tool included in the Cypres packer's kit.

(addition) Just remembered I think I was using this tool to do something it wasn't designed for that may have resulted in scarring to the surface of it.