AStack75

Homeowner's Insurance - Skydiving Gear Coverage

Doing some research into my existing homeowners insurance policy through Liberty Mutual insurance to see if my rig would be covered if it gets stolen. I intend to contact my insurance company with these questions also but just wanted to see what others personal experiences have been with using your homeowner's policy on a stolen rig.

My policy says that...
Our limit of liability for personal property usually located at an "insured's residence, other than the "residence premises," is 10% of the limit of liability for Coverage C, or $1000, whichever is greater.

My interpretation...
My limit of liability for Coverage C (Personal Property with Replacement Cost) is $150,000. So I interpret that as meaning, my insurance company would pay $1500 (10%) for any single personal property item. If my rig was stolen, would that be considered one item? Or would it be considered a container, main canopy, reserve canopy, and AAD?

Also, my policy has this under "Property Not Covered"...
Aircraft and parts. Aircraft means any contrivance used or designed for flight, except model or hobby aircraft not used or designed to carry people or cargo.

Based on that, I could see my insurance company saying that my skydiving gear is considered "Aircraft" and wouldn't be covered. Am I right?

Just read over my renters insurance and it says the same thing... now I'm curious to know if they'll try to consider it ''aircraft'' because it carries a ''person''. A friend has home-owners insurance, and I was told that his covers his canopy even if he loses it during a cutaway.

I'd say that a Parachute is NOT an Aircraft.

it can't takeoff on its own.
license is not required to operate
registration is not required to own/operate
a parachute is designed to slow the descent of a person or object through the air
etc...

of course, thats just my biased, humble opinion; I'm not the claims adjuster.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I had a rig replaced in college with a homeowners policy, listed it as 'sports equipment'.

that's because "aircraft" didnt exsist when you were in college :ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?