chemfx

Old rig trade

Hi i'm new to the sport have the chance to make a trade for an old rig for 2 custom surfboards with a customer.

The gear is as follows
Eureka BSD Sarl Atl meter DOM 6/96
Performance Designs Sabre 190 DOM 10/95
Fabric is nice and crisp 1 jump only
PD 160-R DOM. 8/96
Container Reflex not shure on the DOM

Any help would be more than welcome.
Thnx
Che

The reserve on that rig is significantly smaller than the main. that's not usually a good move -- do you want the smallest canopy you've ever jumped to be the same jump as your first cutaway?

Also, how much do you weigh? That makes a difference on ANY deal.

If I were to ask you if an old green surfboard was worth exchanging for 5 reserve pack jobs, what would your answer be?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hell no. IMO

Here is how I look at it. You can drive a car untill in wont start thus, a car no matter how old will have some value in it.

You could also jump a parachute untill it does its own version of not starting.... but then you are dead or dealing with a really scary situation. Thus, at a certain point skydiving gear should be considered to have no or very little value. IMO this rig is way passed the not worth shit point. definatly not work 2k.

You say the main has 1 jump? That is pretty good but remember there were a lot of lemons in the Saber market. s
I am fucking your mom right now

Cost of the 2 boards retail is around $ 2000 with all the extras he ordered.

Yeah but WHO pays retail?? :ph34r:

The question is...what's YOUR cost for the boards...if it's 500.00 it might be worth the 'trade' in that you could always sell it for 500.50! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The main and the reserve are worth a couple hundred bucks each. They do not make a good combo though. Do you really want your last chance canopy to be the smallest canopy you have ever flown by 1 1/2 size? When you are low, having to land into someones backyard, with adrenaline coming out of your ears, with a reserve that won't fly and flare like the main canopies you're used to?

Aside from that, you do not want your first reserve canopy loaded over 1:1 so in your case, you should be looking for at least a 175sqft reserve for your first couple hundred jumps. If you're smart.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My cost without labor on the boards would be right around $300 for each board.

So...without labor included, you would be getting the short end, and I'm pretty sure your time is worth at least as much as the raw materials...tell him one board and he throws in 100 bucks! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sabre 1 canopies are known for hard openings, and the 190 in particular. Just so you are aware.
And to give you some perspective, my first rig I bought 7 years ago was a Vector 2, a Sabre 190 with 200 jumps on it and a PD 160 reserve (which I promptly exchanged for a Raven 218) - total cost $1,050. It also came with a Cypress with 2 years left on it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Jejeje
Yep.
my ? Is it worth me shaping my customer 2 boards for this rig.
Cost of the 2 boards retail is around $ 2000 with all the extras he ordered.

Well, you might want to consider the fact that he'd be lucky to get more than two or three hundred bucks (US dollars) for that rig.
It doesn't sound like a very even trade to me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

i make boards as well. are you using carbon fibre and epoxy? or is it just a closed cell foam and poly board? id say if you have interset in the sport i would take the rig to a rigger and have them inspect it and give you a value on the rig. then make the descision if its worth it to you or not. i know in this economy there arent many people willing to pay $1000 for a surfboard, especially two of them.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

No epoxy or carbon fiber on the boards just 2 custom pu boards with tin job on one and the other 3 stringers and tail block and gloss & polish on both. He's been a great customer and friend for years.

Show'd the gear to my instructor and rigger they said that just with the main and reserve i made a good deal. Neither like the container much but say that its in good condition and i can use it. SThe cypres is expiered so would have to replace it.

They say they'll get it ready for when i grad from my aff.
Thnx