b52

Large vs mini 3 ring

I am about to order a new rig and torn between large vs mini 3 rings.
Any suggestions?
Does it make a difference for wingsuits?

Thanks.

With large 3 rings you can attach minirisers on the rig.
But with mini 3 rings you can't attach large risers.

But we all know the rules in skydiving,
1. Get it on video!
2. Look good while doing it.
3. Saftey.

So because minirisers look better.... :P

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1. Get it on video!
3. Saftey.

That's incorrect. There are plenty of Large risers made with mini 3rings.

This article describes the difference between the 2 sets and how they might affect you.
http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=3RING&SortBy=DATE_D

Additionally, this document tells how to inspect them.
http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=3RINGINSPECT&SortBy=DATE_D

Hope this helps in making your decission.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1. Get it on video!
3. Saftey.

I belived the question was about the ringsize and not the webbingwidth of the risers.
If the question is about the actual riser width, then my statement is incorrect, but if the question is about the rings, which is also the name of this topic, i stand my ground on my statement :P

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1. Get it on video!
3. Saftey.

I belived the question was about the ringsize and not the webbingwidth of the risers.
If the question is about the actual riser width, then my statement is incorrect, but if the question is about the rings, which is also the name of this topic, i stand my ground on my statement :P

I suggest you read this again. You stated that presence of mini 3 rings takes away the ability to use large risers. And that's false. I said it, Sparky showed you a picture.

keep digging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1. Get it on video!
3. Saftey.

I suggest you read this again. You stated that presence of mini 3 rings takes away the ability to use large risers. And that's false. I said it, Sparky showed you a picture.

keep digging.

What i wrote and meant is when you have a rig with smal rings you can not attach large ring risers.
But a rig with large rings can handle both smal and large ring risers.
As the thread was about the rings and not the webbing I figured it would be obvious what i wrote. Guess not.

I like the larger 3 ring setup. My wingload is low, so I don't need the reduced drag that mini rings provide. Perhaps on a super short skinny person the large rings might seem bulky, but I am not in that category. The many functional reasons why the larger rings are better are very important. Fitting into the current stylish norm was not important. No hesitation at all when I ordered my 2 custom rigs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I had the same issue when I ordered mine back in April. Took me an age to decide.

Everyone I spoke with at the DZ said go small. Every time I asked why they just said it looks better and everyone has them.

After reading for hours online and on dropzone I went with the large rings.. I couldn't find one decent supporting argument for using mini's over the large other than looks.

I figured If its just looks and the larger rings have an increased mechanical advantage why not give myself the best chances I have up there if I can. :) Plus im not a small dude but by no means the biggest.

Im happy with the choice however almost every weekend I get someone asking me why I have large rings and why I didn't get mini..Some people give me weird looks when I say I wanted them large...Even the odd experienced instructor.

Screw looking good for others, I think they are cool :D, Plus im already jumping out of a plane and thats cool enough for me :P

almost every weekend I get someone asking me why I have large rings and why I didn't get mini..Some people give me weird looks when I say I wanted them large...Even the odd experienced instructor.

I've don't think I've ever had anyone ask me why I chose the large rings. They might just figure that the old guy is old school.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well, clearly more people want small rings, so I would think that having the small rings would increase the resale value and ease of resale on your rig for when that time comes.

Resale value should not be a primary consideration when buying a rig - it should be about safety, functionality and fit.

And if you jump a rig until it's worn out, there is no resale value anyway - so it's irrelevant.

Well, clearly more people want small rings, so I would think that having the small rings would increase the resale value and ease of resale on your rig for when that time comes.

I'm sure that is correct for smaller rigs. For rigs with 190/210 sized canopies, the demand on the used market is said to be very high, so I don't think it would affect resale.