PhreeZone

No medical insurance and getting hurt while jumping

[if you go to buy insurance, make sure there are no "grey areas" in the policy and take a magnifying glass with you to read the fine print on the back of the page at the bottom.reply]

This is very important. After breaking a couple bones in separate accidents rodeoing, and not being able to work or pay hospital bills both times, I finally came to the conclusion that this was no fun, and that I would be better prepared next time.

So I went down and talked to this slick insurance salesman about insurance. I ended up buying a policy that would pay out big bucks if I was hurt and unable to work. The catch was that it wouldn't pay off for rodeoing or skydiving, or things of that sort. Since I was almost done with both of these sports I figured I'd go for it.

"But there's just one more thing," the insurance guy said. "It won't pay off for a month after you're hurt." Well stupid me.....I think.....Well that's okay I can wait a month for my first check????

Faithfully I mailed in my insurance premiums each month. And the finally, I end up breaking my hand in a logging accident, and I figure I'm set to start raking in this big money while living the life of Riley at home.

So I call my insurance company to let them know I'm hurt and ready to start getting my money. In short order I find out that I'm not covered the first month I'm hurt. Of course I didn't read the fine print of my policy. Being a dumb logger it was kind of like reading Greek anyway.......I hope I'm at least a little smarter now......Steve1

Our sport is littered with requests for money to help our fellow jumpers... and I can't think of many things less ethical.

We KNOW there's risks, and we accept those risks. We need to accept the financial risks too.

It's completely unnethical to claim that you accept the risks of the sport, and then turn to your friends to bail you out when you get hurt.

I have jumped without insurance, but I was always eligible for COBRA, which can be gotten retro-actively. IE, you can get hurt, THEN apply for COBRA, if you're eligible.

Keep your options open. Don't jump without insurance.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It's posts like these who suddenly make me not so unhappy living in a 'welfare' country with high taxes.

Since I'm unemployed, I ain't even paying that much in taxes B|.

I wouldn't jump without an insurance in the US, period. Medical bills get really big really fast. Luckily for me I'm covered by the Danish system even if I were to go to the US and jump.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I wouldn't jump without medical insurance, even something simple like a broken ankle could cost you thousands. I was laid off from my job in Feb of this year, and finally got a job in August. Unfortunately, medical insurance coverage won't start until December 1 of this year. So I won't be jumping or taking motorcycle trips anywhere until it does. I checked into COBRA, but it would have cost my wife and me $687/month! Then I applied for Blue Cross and Kaiser (here in No CAL) and got rejected by both because of back pain last year, even though I wasn't hurting anymore. Both of them would have cost, again for me and my wife, about $580/mo for Blue Cross and $387/mo for Kaiser. Medical insurance by yourself is incredibly expensive, and in many cases hard to get. Good luck.

Bill, this is why COBRA benefits are key, even if they're expensive.

As long as you don't let insuracnce lapse for 3 monthes, the new insurance can not deny you based on the pre-existing condition.

When Blue Cross rejected you, they should have given you the opprotunity to provide documentation of pre-existing insurance, which your employer would've provided you when you left your last job.

If you're going to be unemployed for more then 3 monthes, it's critical that you pick up your cobra benefits so that won't get declined for pre-existing conditions.

_Am
__

Our sport is littered with requests for money to help our fellow jumpers... and I can't think of many things less ethical.

We KNOW there's risks, and we accept those risks. We need to accept the financial risks too.

It's completely unnethical to claim that you accept the risks of the sport, and then turn to your friends to bail you out when you get hurt.

I have jumped without insurance, but I was always eligible for CORBA, which can be gotten retro-actively. IE, you can get hurt, THEN apply for CORBA, if you're eligible.

Keep your options open. Don't jump without insurance.

_Am

in california, you only have 90 days after termination of employment to apply for COBRA... at least, this is what I was told when I applied three weeks ago.

Sounds like you have done your homework. That's what I've done. After being employed by a company that offered group insurance, and then leaving, I went with the COBRA. End of Jan. it will run out, but I can still enroll with the same insurance when they have open enrollment. And, they can't turn me down for a pre-existing condition.
Sure, it cost me more money, but I don't want to not have insurance. If your a skydiver and you're jumping without insurance, you're asking for trouble.
There is a thread going on right now about an experienced jumper that got hurt on a night jump. No insurance.
So, for you people that say you're being careful, you're fooling yourself. It can happen any time.

*getting down from my soap-box now*
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

So, for you people that say you're being careful, you're fooling yourself. It can happen any time.

Amen. I busted my leg up pretty good under a sabre2, loaded about 1.2/1 - was very current (made about 30 jumps the week before) on a straight in, slightly cross-wind landing -- nothing I hadn't done a hundred times before.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Amen. I busted my leg up pretty good under a sabre2, loaded about 1.2/1 - was very current (made about 30 jumps the week before) on a straight in, slightly cross-wind landing -- nothing I hadn't done a hundred times before.

Hell, I fucked myself up runing to the plane. It can happen anytime to anyone.

_Am
__

I had a $45,000 skydive last year but was fully covered.

Remember, medical insurance is expensive if you want the full shabang. If you want to save money, but still don't wanna see a 45G bill in the mail, get a policy with a $500 deductible and only covers emergent care.

They are dirt cheap and cover you in most skydiving situations. They are cheap because they know you won't go to the ER for petty things. Read the fine print about extreme sports though. Or have a buddy carry your to the bottom of a flight of stairs afterward ;)

J.Neas

When I busted my ankle my total bill was over $100,000, no kidding. 3 surgeries and lots of complications. I HAD insurance only had to pay about $300 for everything, well not counting the pharmacy bill ;). Although even insurance helped with that. I was on an antibiotic that ran $400 per day.
Scares me to think about not having insurance. Actually I didn't jump earlier this year for that exact reason.

Be safe and be responsible.:)