hooked

Computer question

Ok, these are the possible scenarios:

1- ALL floppies read/wrote by a defective floppy drive can be read/write ONLY BY that defective drive
2- The floppy device is FINE, but the cable is not
3- The CONTROLLER is bad (floppy channel)
4- The BIOS needs to be refreshed/updated

If items 1 thru 3 still doesn't fix the problem, then the BIOS should be refreshed, in order to do that, at BOOTING TIME, access the BIOS (pressing DEL, F1, F10 or any other key or combination of keys depending on the manufacturer) and RESTORE or LOAD DEFAULT VALUES should be entered, save changes and reboot, that should do it.

Okay, still not working but......we did get into the bios and everything is enabled. We aren't quite sure what is meant by hitting RESTORE or LOAD DEFAULT, we didn't find those options (at least not where we were looking!) He says the cable is fine, who knows:S.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Yes, and floppies from someone elses computer. The thing works, when you put in a disk after a long wait you get a message reading--disk is not formatted do you want to format it now?--These disks have info on them and it doesn't matter what disk you put in, it just won't read them:S. I'm ready to just say F**K it!

J

jan, you are a techs worst nightmare.:P

ivan kicked down some pretty good info when he said that a floppy written by a drive on its way out will be off track and be difficult at best to be read by functional drive.

you should not have to do anything in bios.

if the light on the drive stays on even with no disk, you have the data cable bassackwards.

my suggestion to you would be to take the floppies in question to another machine and determine whether or not they can be read.

if you get the same problem, odds are that your floppies are off track or have suffered magnetic damage.

second step would be to actually format and write to a new floppy on your machine with your new drive to assure that it is functional.

third, if they can be read on another machine, copy the data to the hard drive of second machine then proceed to format NEW floppies and write the data to them. or burn them to cd if said machine is so equipped.

and worse/best case scenario - instead of spending a hundred bucks on a service call spend 300 and buy a cheap new machine. or more, up to you.

good luck.
namaste, motherfucker.

jan, you are a techs worst nightmare.:P
Awww, I don't want to be anyone's nightmare

ivan kicked down some pretty good info when he said that a floppy written by a drive on its way out will be off track and be difficult at best to be read by functional drive.

you should not have to do anything in bios. we didn't

if the light on the drive stays on even with no disk, you have the data cable bassackwards. it doesn't

my suggestion to you would be to take the floppies in question to another machine and determine whether or not they can be read. he hasn't done this yet, but he tried his floppies and they won't read on this one either

if you get the same problem, odds are that your floppies are off track or have suffered magnetic damage.

second step would be to actually format and write to a new floppy on your machine with your new drive to assure that it is functional.It won't allow me to format a disk, I get a message saying--windows could not format this disk. Either selected capacity is not valid for this disk or the disk is damaged--I used a new disk too

third, if they can be read on another machine, copy the data to the hard drive of second machine then proceed to format NEW floppies and write the data to them. or burn them to cd if said machine is so equipped. Believe me I will be burning my info to cd, if I get the floppy to work!

and worse/best case scenario - instead of spending a hundred bucks on a service call spend 300 and buy a cheap new machine. or more, up to you.

good luck.

My hubby is the kind that will "fool" with this forever, if that's what it takes! I'm ready to say F**K it!>:(

Jan

If you want FedEx your machine to me...I'll fix it FREE of charge, just pay for shipping :)

That's so nice, I'll keep that in mind. I have to let my husband 'tinker' with it!

Jan

jan.... the first rule is to eliminate the obvious. the steps i enumerated will do this. take the darned floppies to another machine and try to read them.:)
and if you can't format a new disk with a new drive you either got a bum drive (buy it at fry's by chance? lol) or your puters floppy channel is hosed. it happens.

your puter is an unknown at this point. go to a known puter and eliminate the media in question as the problem. this is assuming that the data is your primary concern. then work backwards.

im not yelling at you, im yelling with you. :P
xxooxox
namaste, motherfucker.

Wrong wording!!! Huh?

He is convinced he can fix it, we'll see. He will return the one we bought (by the way, yes, we got it at Fry's, not a good idea???) He will also change the cable/belt?

You guys are awesome, thanks.

Jan

jan.... the first rule is to eliminate the obvious. the steps i enumerated will do this. take the darned floppies to another machine and try to read them.:)they can be read on my husbands computer

and if you can't format a new disk with a new drive you either got a bum drive (buy it at fry's by chance? lol) or your puters floppy channel is hosed. it happens. what is that? When that was looked at, Windows said it was working properly. He dumped it and then reloaded it to see if that would work.

your puter is an unknown at this point. go to a known puter and eliminate the media in question as the problem. this is assuming that the data is your primary concern. then work backwards.

im not yelling at you, im yelling with you. :P
xxooxox what a sweetie

edit: Tomorrow, he said he would get another floppy drive and a new cable! (fingers crossed)

Jan

okeydokey-90%resolved.

fry's. lmMFao. not saying its a bad idea, but i have seen returns get a sticker slapped on them and sent back to the shelf without even a second look. best be at fry's is to NEVER buy ANYTHING that has that little white sticker on it. look around, you will see what i am talking about.

if hubby is tinkering - take the drive out his puter - put it in yurs. does it work? no? too bad so sad you got other probs. yes? put the 'new' drive in his puter and see if it works. no? return it and get a new one. yes? well then, both of your puters have working floppy drives. yur done.

and next time your hubby insists on tinkering with floppy issues, gently remind him that there are plenty of operational hard disks out there spinning at the ready. :P (sorry couldnt resist)
namaste, motherfucker.

That's so nice, I'll keep that in mind. I have to let my husband 'tinker' with it!

Jan how far are you from Kapowsin??

I will be down there this weekend.. and I know a couple things about computers...;)

Yes I am offering to help and I have several boxes of used 3.5" drives.. PM me

Jeanne

Jan how far are you from Kapowsin??

I will be down there this weekend.. and I know a couple things about computers...;)

Yes I am offering to help and I have several boxes of used 3.5" drives.. PM me

Jeanne

ooooooohhhhh, a geek with reciprocal parts. i think we need to start a new thread. oh IVAN...........:P
namaste, motherfucker.

Ivan and I already had that thread...I have WAY too many. I just never threw anything out.. and saved the old stuff for parts. Its an impressive collection. I could put together far more but just never have the time. Heck I dont even have the extra drive bays hooked up to my Compaq 4500 4 Processor rackmount webserver.:P I have the parts but dont really need to hook up the extra 14 drives in the arrays. It just sits there next to my desk... waiting for me to turn it on and heat the whole back portion of my house.:S

[url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=620001#620001

Jeanne