hooked

Computer question

Or you can go with an external one (USB or Firewire is easiest.) Or go with my solution - no 3.5" drive...B|

I have way too much info and graphics stored on disks. If I can just find the time:S I will put all of it on cd's! But I need a working drive in order to transfer everything.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

If I can just find the time I will put all of it on cd's! But I need a working drive in order to transfer everything.

I know a currently underemployed skydiving geek *cough*CrazyIvan*cough* that would probably help you out with both tasks for a really modest amount. :P

I know a currently underemployed skydiving geek *cough*CrazyIvan*cough* that would probably help you out with both tasks for a really modest amount. :P

He lives a little far away! My hubby will put in the drive (hopefully, that goes okay and in a timely way!). The transferring.........if I didn't spend so much time on here, I'd have more time:P. Awww....these addictions.

Jan

Its really easy, just remember how the 2cables(power and data) are connected to the old and put them on same way.
Anyway you can never broke or damage anything without unecessary force.
The rule for 3'5 floppys is simple...
For old cables, where is possible to connect in 2 diferent ways, the correct is to put the red line near the power connection.
Ber
---------------------------------
"Who Needs Oxygen Anyway?"

For old cables, where is possible to connect in 2 diferent ways, the correct is to put the red line near the power connection.

you sure about that? I've seen power on both sides. you could also say that the red stripe should be on the left side looking from the top down, front closest to you
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Okay......we bought a new one, put it in (I'm presuming he got the connection correct) and it still isn't reading the disk>:(. After a short wait it comes up with the message: "Disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" These are disks, I know have data on them. This is what it was doing before, too. What else could be wrong?

Jan

Okay......we bought a new one, put it in (I'm presuming he got the connection correct) and it still isn't reading the disk>:(. After a short wait it comes up with the message: "Disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" These are disks, I know have data on them. This is what it was doing before, too. What else could be wrong?

Jan

The ACTUAL floppy is damaged, not the device.

I've tried it with several. After reading Ivan's reply I went and tried a different one and it shut down the whole computer! My 'worker' has gone now, so I can't do anything about it and I don't know if he hooked it up right or not. Grrrrrrrrrr>:( He'll have to work on it later or tomorrow. At least the computer works!

I guess I'll just read some posts and other stuff for a while! I'm afraid to try any other disks:S.

Jan

Assuming she's tested more than one floppy and that a new floppy has been installed, any possibility the CMOS might need changing?

Edited to add: I ain't touched the guts in about 8 years.

Ok, these are the possible scenarios:

1- ALL floppies read/wrote by a defective floppy drive can be read/write ONLY BY that defective drive
2- The floppy device is FINE, but the cable is not
3- The CONTROLLER is bad (floppy channel)
4- The BIOS needs to be refreshed/updated

If items 1 thru 3 still doesn't fix the problem, then the BIOS should be refreshed, in order to do that, at BOOTING TIME, access the BIOS (pressing DEL, F1, F10 or any other key or combination of keys depending on the manufacturer) and RESTORE or LOAD DEFAULT VALUES should be entered, save changes and reboot, that should do it.