vonSanta

My poor dog...

Our family has a dog, Max, a warm hearted yellow labrador (see pic). Very friendly, inquisitive and energetic. He lives with my parents, although I, being unemployed, take care of 'im daily. He needs a lot of exercise, coming from a line of permier rescue dog. Also needs a lot of training and I do my best with his exuberant self.

Unfortunately my father suffers from depression. He's also recently gone through heart surgery. Couple that with Max being very active - when he's not doing something for a few hours he sometimes chews stuff - shoes, glasses - anything he can reach.

Two days ago he chewed one of my father's collector's knives to pieces. And my father is of the conviction that dogs are useful as tools but do not deserve consideration as living things - "the Greenlandic view on dogs" he calls it. Something he took on after he worked there for some years. They're to be worked and when they cannot fulfill their role, there's no point to their existence. Those are his words and I can only hope he doesn't mean 'em and they're just (another) sign of his current condition.

So, he's decided that the dog should be killed. Max is extremely affectionate towards my father - which annoys him even more.

At any rate; the family (other than father) decided not to have that happen. I argued that the dog's presence is the problem, so I'll take 'im. Father says no, he has authority over the dog. Mother threatens divorce, blah blah. Old routine of "family life" disintegrating. Fuck man, am I glad I'm 28 and able to remove myself from that shit. Max is also a great skydiver's dog, although he has to be tied down when the plane rolls since he'd be chasing the plane otherwise.

Long story short; Max is now in my small one room apartment, running in circles. Or lying at the door barking at anyone who has the nerve to pass HIS area - the door and all that which lies beyond. Poor thing doesn't know what is happening or why his head master is angry with 'im. And me being between jobs means I can offer 'im only love, food and shelter in my tiny apartment.

There are possible solutions. The current situation is one, but I have my eye on one more favourable to both Max and me.

All this may be a small matter on the grander scale of things. ALL things are just that on the cosmic scale - all that matters is that which we give any value.

Gonna take him for a walk now. he just scared the sheeit outta the troublesome Somali neighbors who threatened me some time ago. And father says the dog has no value .

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

What a beautiful dog! Thank you so much for stepping in to save him! I work with rescue animals (cats to be exact), and it is heartbreaking to hear of people just 'throwing away' life like your father attempted to do.

I have a similar relationship with my family, and I'm so very happy I don't live with them anymore - I'd have killed myself! Things are much better now.

I hope your father will 'come around' soon, and realize that they both need each other.

Good luck - your a great friend to Max!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Here's a question. My Grandfather has an old dog, Grace. She's about 14 years old at our best guess. She's Half Pit bull and Halh Blue Healer. She was is atill a beefy dog. But she's on in years and he says to me the other night that one of these days he's going to ask me to take her and have her put down. But I have to do this when they go on vacation. I am also not supposed to tell my g-ma about it.

Am I wrong to think it's wrong for him to ask me to do this?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I would think its wrong. Your grandmother has a right to know what's happened to her companion.

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of killing animals... My vet says 90% of the animals he euthanizes can be saved... the owners just don't want to pay for the medical care!!! If an animal is truly in extreme pain and there's no hope, that's another matter. I am a firm believer that when you adopt an animal, you have made a commitment to that animal. You have committed to give that animal WHATEVER care is needed to keep him or her happy and healthy for the rest of their lives. I could live in a much cheaper apartment, but I'd have to give up my cats... they're family! They're not to be traded away for an extra $300 a month. Far too many people see the lives of animals as unimportant... sad. [:/]

The reason that he wants me to do tis when they are gone is that she would not handle it well. She is that kind of person that puts more value in a life of a small animal than a life of a human. I. E. If you were going to kill yourself or run over even a squirel or a frog...you better be praying, cuz if she's drivin' you are dead. She's completely destroyed 3 vehicles because of that. Even ran INSIDE someones house to avoid a rabbit. Noone was hurt because they were eating dinner. The car stopped just inside the living room and all the way through the TV.

My comment was that it would be wrong to ask someone to do this deed for you. I agree that she shouldn't know.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It's funny how he told me this just before they left to go out of town on saturday morning. But at the last, he said that it wasn't to be this time. I think he just wants me to "take care of it" and he not know either.

Good work on trying to do the best for your dog but maybe you shouldn't have gotten him in the first place. I would love to have a dog but being 27 and being a very active person, both with work and otherwise, I know that I don't have the time required to give a dog a good life. Also, animals, especially large dogs, deserve space. I can't stand seeing people who live in the city and own a lab or other large dog. It's cruel that they have to keep the dog locked in their apartment all day and then can only take it on one or two walks a day and maybe a few more over the weekend. That's giving the dog only the minimum amount of exercise it needs to get by. People who own dogs should not be selfish. It's a priveledge to own an animal, not a right. People, think about the animal before you think about yourself.

PEACE,
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher