NealFitz

whats wrong with my canopy in this vid

here is a video of an opening i had on one of jumps yesterday. theres abeen a couple of different opinions of as to exactly what caused it to open in the way it did. i pitched just about 4000ft and you can hear the last beep of my 1st optima setting and then hear the second setting as it goes through 3 grand. canopy details: electra150 l;oaded at 1.3 very good trim and in good nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzsaswDeSw

any ideas?

i also have the HD version if the wmv isnt clear enough
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

How many jumps do you have on the canopy? Can you post a video of what your consider one of its normal openings?
Regarding this particular video, the slider stays up for a long time (snivel). At this stage the canopy is very sensitive to any input such as body position or grabbing risers. Also, at this stage the speed is very high and canopy is narrow spanwise which amplifies any input (intentional or not).
If your canopy has snivelly openings it is even more important to keep shoulders leveled during deployment. Even if you have twists if your shoulders are leveled the canopy will probably not turn or do it slightly.
Was it packed for a long time before the jump? I have a Cobalt that snivels a lot more when left packed for weeks (all the air goes out). I believe the type of fabric (Gelvenor) has also an influence.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

i got the canopy about the end of march and have put about 40-45 jumps on it so far.the canopy i owned before then was an Electra170 and had about 150 jumps on it and opened off heading about 3 or 4 times it was an excellent canopy! i also jumped it about an hour or so beforehand so had already got a bit of airtime and the opening was fine. PeteS it generally always opens on heading. i had a couple of off heading opening but not by much. what i noticed on this opening was that the right brake had fired and was in full drive and so intially i thought it had something to do with that. in regards to how i pack i propack and put the first 2 sets of stabilisers around the front quarter of the slider and then push the nose in a good bit and then wrap the tail around it. i have taken some of the openings and put them in the below video so you can see what im used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXXWHrlFEo
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

In our case, the cause gets traced to packers shoving the nose in before laying the canopy down.

Are they doing this in response to TMs reports of hard openings?

I see a lot of people who shove the nose into the packjob and don't really have a good reason for why they are doing it.

In our case, the cause gets traced to packers shoving the nose in before laying the canopy down.

Are they doing this in response to TMs reports of hard openings?

I see a lot of people who shove the nose into the packjob and don't really have a good reason for why they are doing it.

It's a packer habit left over from last year, when we stowed the Icarus 330 brake lines in rubber bands near the canopy. That stow made the canopy open snappy, so the packers would shove the nose in or roll the tail tight in an effort to slow the openings. Then we stopped stowing the brake lines, which makes for soft openings... however if one combines unstowed brakes + pushed-in nose on this canopy, it creates an extremely slow opening requiring rear riser work to make it open.

theres abeen a couple of different opinions of as to exactly what caused it to open in the way it did...

That canopy looks like it is in a VERY shallow Brake setting.
In other words, the canopy is very close to full flight @ opening.

I would question the brake setting.... ask the manufacturer about it.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com